PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 164

Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:44 pm      Post subject: Kulpa origins

Hello,
I've posted on here quite a bit, and if I leave any details out due to listing it prior, I apologize.
I've been seeing several records in the early 1900's leading to the surname Kulpa. I was wondering how that might translate or if anyone had come across it before. In Wheeling, WV several families took that name. Pretty sure Josephine married Antoni Turczynski in Poland, and on the voyage record in 1897, it lists a last residence, but I can't make it out. Line 28 and 29. However, 3 years later on the 1900 census(horribly spelled Jorginski?) it appears they both are listed as 70. Not sure of their ages beyond that, but hopefully the place on that voyage record or Kulpa origin can help because...one of Josephine Turczynski's daughters listed her maiden as Kulpa.

Also on that record at that address is Frank Malinowski, who married Weronika Rzeszotarski(my great grandfather's sister), Felix Gutkowski, Joseph Rogowski, and possibly Bronislaw Rzeszotarski as well listed under Bruno. After seeing this record I find it hard to believe they all converged out of coincidence, and all are on my tree. Joseph's wife, Mary Szczepanski(1868-1922) mother's name was originally Catherine Przelenski(~1849-1924)(married Frank Szczepanki around 1867?) also leads into my family of Przelenski. To my understanding, most back then were "sponsored", which meant someone was here first, and in my thinking that means the "first" were from the same place, or at least maybe. Anyways
Thanks again
John

Edit:
Another place that I can't make out is from another voyage record of Antoni Przekop, Antoni Turczynski's son-in-law. Both were headed to the Wheeling, and even the same address 4412 Wetzel. His listing is #13. Ancestry had his last residence listed as Rlonora, but I can't make it out. On Antoni Turczynski's voyage in 1897, his last residence is listed as Garisyka. I think both are badly mistaken.

Antoni Przekop voyage 1899 #13.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  854.48 KB
 Viewed:  4932 Time(s)

Antoni Przekop voyage 1899 #13.jpg

Joseph Turczynski 1900 census.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.73 MB

Joseph Turczynski 1900 census.jpg

Antoni Turcznski voyage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  880.02 KB

Antoni Turcznski voyage.jpg

Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:26 am      Post subject:

John,

Kulpa is a very popular Polish surname. It comes from Latin culpa, for “fault, guilt,” as in the phrase “mea culpa”
in the prayer Confiteor of the old Latin Mass. The other origin explanation might be from dialect word kulpa which means „curved stick”.

In 2002 there were 5687 individuals using the surname Kulpa living in Poland. Detailed map of the surname distribution can be found here: https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Kulpa

And here in PolishOrigins Surnames Databaseyou will find other PolishOrigins members interested in Kulpa surname: http://polishorigins.com/surnames/search/string/Kulpa .

Sources
Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: