PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:08 pm      Post subject: Churches in Rzeszow in 1864

I'm looking for birth records for an ancestor who was born in Rzeszow in 1864. I assumed that only one church would've been there at that time, but it looks like there were many. If you have a suggestion about which one to start with, I'd love to hear it!

Many thanks!
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:49 am      Post subject:

Kristen,

On the Polish State Archives website I found that in Rzeszow branch of the Archives they have some records from the end of 1800s, click here for more details (mojżeszowe means "Jewish", rzymskokatolickie means "roman catholic"): http://baza.archiwa.gov.pl/sezam/pradziad.php?l=en&search=1&miejscowosc=rzesz%F3w&f=50 .

Unfortunately, there are not too many roman catholic birth records, only for years 1889-1908. However, if your ancestor got married in Rzeszow there is a chance of finding his (or her) marriage record (marriage records available: 1857-1903). It could give you hints for further research. I recommend you to read the article: "Remote" research in Polish State Archives - practical hints .

There is a chance that some other records from the old Rzeszow roman catholic parishes are kept in Diocese Archives in Rzeszow but to check this it would require direct contact with the archives. This is the Diocese Archives in Rzeszow website in Polish with contact details: http://www.diecezja.rzeszow.pl/?q=node/2147 .
Send e-mail
Kristen_Lucka

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:45 pm      Post subject:

Thank you for your help! I appreciate it very much.

Kristen
noolvido

Replies: 33

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:52 pm      Post subject: Rzeszow diocese

So I was interested in the following reply because just yesterday I found my grandfather's mother...well sort of, anyway. The passenger list state her last residence as Zlynia. So far that's all I have. She must have been a single mother based on the dates I see on the censuses. Her son, my grandfather, says his last place of residence was Nienodowka, not far from Zlynia and both in the Rzeszow diocese. Looking for help in speculating what went on here. He was born in 1891 and she was listed in the U.S. census, but her age seems quite young (around 15 when she had him???). Wondering where to go from here. I have found St. Bartholemew the Apostle Cath. Church in Nienodowka, and 4 churches in Zolynia. Not sure where to go with this. Anybody help??? (There used to be a "ha ha" surrounding my grandfather...that he was nobility....but no one ever explained that. Since much of Zlynia is owned by a count (Potoki Manor)....hmmm...my imagination is running. )

Zenon wrote:
Kristen,

On the Polish State Archives website I found that in Rzeszow branch of the Archives they have some records from the end of 1800s, click here for more details (mojżeszowe means "Jewish", rzymskokatolickie means "roman catholic"): http://baza.archiwa.gov.pl/sezam/pradziad.php?l=en&search=1&miejscowosc=rzesz%F3w&f=50 .

Unfortunately, there are not too many roman catholic birth records, only for years 1889-1908. However, if your ancestor got married in Rzeszow there is a chance of finding his (or her) marriage record (marriage records available: 1857-1903). It could give you hints for further research. I recommend you to read the article: "Remote" research in Polish State Archives - practical hints .

There is a chance that some other records from the old Rzeszow roman catholic parishes are kept in Diocese Archives in Rzeszow but to check this it would require direct contact with the archives. This is the Diocese Archives in Rzeszow website in Polish with contact details: http://www.diecezja.rzeszow.pl/?q=node/2147 .
Zenon

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:03 am      Post subject:

The places of origin of your great-grandmother, Nienadówka and Żołynia, are most probably here (click for map): http://bit.ly/cWoyeb .

The only roman catholic church in Żołynia exists there since 1622. In the State Archives in Rzeszów there are books from this parish but only for years 1890-1901 (without 1894). Most probably, if only the remaining church books exist they are kept locally in parish or in Diocese Archives, again either in Rzeszow or in Przemysl (look posts above).

Very similar story is connected to the church in Nienadówka. It is even older because the parish was set up in 1561 and in the State Archives there are only baptism records for years 1889-1900.

In both cases to make any progress in your research you will have to contact both churches or Diocese Archives in Rzeszow and find out where the parish books are currently kept.

Żołynia parish address:
Żołynia, ul. Mickiewicza 65,
tel. +48 17 224 30 21

Nienadówka parish website: http://www.diecezja.rzeszow.pl/?q=node/2804

And yes, Żolynia village had been owned by inheritance by count Jan Potocki since 1783 Smile .
Send e-mail
noolvido

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:10 am      Post subject: Rzeszoe diocese

What success have anyone had with contacting churches and or dioceses. I'm assuming you write first to ask if the information is there? Offer money?? With both of these towns being small farming towns, how likely is it that I would expect to get a response? It is fortunate that is both cases, the dates work. My grandfather was born in 1891. I don't think his mother was married there, so have to focus on the info available on my grandfather. Would his birth information include his mother's bio info?

Question Rolling Eyes

Zenon wrote:
The places of origin of your great-grandmother, Nienadówka and Żołynia, are most probably here (click for map): http://bit.ly/cWoyeb .

The only roman catholic church in Żołynia exists there since 1622. In the State Archives in Rzeszów there are books from this parish but only for years 1890-1901 (without 1894). Most probably, if only the remaining church books exist they are kept locally in parish or in Diocese Archives, again either in Rzeszow or in Przemysl (look posts above).

Very similar story is connected to the church in Nienadówka. It is even older because the parish was set up in 1561 and in the State Archives there are only baptism records for years 1889-1900.

In both cases to make any progress in your research you will have to contact both churches or Diocese Archives in Rzeszow and find out where the parish books are currently kept.

Żołynia parish address:
tel. +48 17 224 30 21

And yes, Żolynia village had been owned by inheritance by count Jan Potocki since 1783 Smile .
noolvido

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:42 am      Post subject: Research in Poland....Summary?

So I guess I'm a bit confused about how to proceed contacting Poland ......What is the civil registration office? It says only 100 years of records are held there, so that would not work for me. You mentioned the State Archives in Rzeszow are a good possibility since my grandfather was born in 1891. That appears to be my next quest. Should I also contact the Church? If he seems to be from Nienodowka, but his mother seems to be from Zolynia, should I contact both? Of course, Zolynia lists 4 churches.Do they write back to tell you they have found nothing...or just not write back in that case. Somewhere on this list, I also read that it might be worth contacting Warsaw (Archiwow Panstwowych). If I have family from the German,Austrian AND Russian partitions, can I send a letter to Warsaw listing all of them???THANKS for all your help.

noolvido wrote:
What success have anyone had with contacting churches and or dioceses. I'm assuming you write first to ask if the information is there? Offer money?? With both of these towns being small farming towns, how likely is it that I would expect to get a response? It is fortunate that is both cases, the dates work. My grandfather was born in 1891. I don't think his mother was married there, so have to focus on the info available on my grandfather. Would his birth information include his mother's bio info?

Question Rolling Eyes

Zenon wrote:

Żołynia parish address:
tel. +48 17 224 30 21

Zenon

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:28 am      Post subject:

noolvido wrote:
It is fortunate that is both cases, the dates work.

Then contact directly the State Archives in Rzeszów, following instructions outlined in the article "Remote" Research in Polish State Archives - practical hints.

noolvido wrote:
Would his birth information include his mother's bio info?

In baptism record from the end of 1800s in Galicia you should find the age of mother and her parents names. This is a very good foothold for further research.

noolvido wrote:
Should I also contact the Church? If he seems to be from Nienodowka, but his mother seems to be from Zolynia, should I contact both?

If you are interested of ancestry of both then yes.. Before contacting church I would recommend to wait for reply from the State Archives in Rzeszów.

noolvido wrote:
Of course, Zolynia lists 4 churches.

There is only one old church in Zolynia mentioned in previous post.

noolvido wrote:
Do they write back to tell you they have found nothing...or just not write back in that case.

There are no rules. Sometimes they send you information with abstract of what they found, sometimes they just don't respond.

noolvido wrote:
If I have family from the German,Austrian AND Russian partitions, can I send a letter to Warsaw listing all of them???

I think it is worth trying, e-mail costs nothing Smile.
Send e-mail
noolvido

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:57 am      Post subject: Thank you

Thank you for so much help! "Gencuya"????!!!!

I assume any letters to Warsaw should also be in Polish???

Zenon wrote:
noolvido wrote:
It is fortunate that is both cases, the dates work.

Then contact directly the State Archives in Rzeszów, following instructions outlined in the article "Remote" Research in Polish State Archives - practical hints.

noolvido wrote:
Would his birth information include his mother's bio info?

In baptism record from the end of 1800s in Galicia you should find the age of mother and her parents names. This is a very good foothold for further research.

noolvido wrote:
Should I also contact the Church? If he seems to be from Nienodowka, but his mother seems to be from Zolynia, should I contact both?

If you are interested of ancestry of both then yes.. Before contacting church I would recommend to wait for reply from the State Archives in Rzeszów.

noolvido wrote:
Of course, Zolynia lists 4 churches.

There is only one old church in Zolynia mentioned in previous post.

noolvido wrote:
Do they write back to tell you they have found nothing...or just not write back in that case.

There are no rules. Sometimes they send you information with abstract of what they found, sometimes they just don't respond.

noolvido wrote:
If I have family from the German,Austrian AND Russian partitions, can I send a letter to Warsaw listing all of them???

I think it is worth trying, e-mail costs nothing Smile.
Zenon

Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:39 am      Post subject:

noolvido wrote:
I assume any letters to Warsaw should also be in Polish???

Yes.

Please, share with us if this way worked for others to learn from your experience.
Send e-mail
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:04 pm      Post subject:

I've started a Rzeszów village/town discussion at http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=2818#2818
If you are interested in this town, or have some information to share about Rzeszów, please visit and post a comment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: