PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 354

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:57 pm      Post subject: help in finding Okmiana in Wilkomierz district

Dear PO friends,

I recently had some nobility documents translated and it mentions my ancestors of the Okmianski family having an ancestral estate called either Okmiana of Okmiana Nartowty. I had originally thought that it was the location of Okmiany (located to the west of Zejmy, Lithuania however apparently it is elsewhere in the Wilkomierz district. The document referring to the estate was written in 1804 if that has any bearing on the border areas.

Any help finding this estate would be helpful in potentially finding many more sacramental records.

Thank you to those who can be of assistance.

Hugh

Send e-mail
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:51 am      Post subject:

Dear Hugh,
Nartowty is the villige in Żejmy parish. If You go back to the topic http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=3648&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 then in the maps (links provided) You will find Okmiany village, just near Nartowty. They both are close to Żejmy, if you go from Żejmy to the north-west.
ossnhughie

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:49 am      Post subject:

Sirdan,

Thank you, although I feel like a real dummy for forgetting that this question has already been somewhat addressed. So apparently Okmiana manor is the same as Okmiany. This is good because they have some really old Latin metric books online, that could potentially have lots of sacramental records.
The nobility case that was looked at by my translator friend Ola, referred to this estate as the ancestral home of Maciej Okimianski herb Radwan going back to the late 1500's or early 1600's.

The odd thing Sirdan is that most online searches turn up Okmianski's who are of Jewish heritage, and add to this one of my ancestors from the early 1600's was named Abram Okmianski.

Was Abram ever used by Christian Poles/Lithuanians? (All the other descendants had typical Polish names). Were Jews even permitted to own land? Or to be nobles?

Thanks again,

Hugh

Send e-mail
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:39 am      Post subject:

I dont remeber You asking secifically about Okmiany, but i remembered topic, so i brought it up. Here is the link to the map http://igrek.amzp.pl/result.php?cmd=id&god=P28_S38&cat=WIG100 Interestingly, the map contains numbers. We see that Nartowty had 11 houses, Okmiany had 41, quite many when compared to other villages.

Well there is Okmiana colony near Olita city, but Okmiana after the person name could also means "z Okmiana" - from Okmiany. Just like other nobles Radzimina - this also ends with "a".

Jews could take polish name, Okmiański is the name like any other. I dont believe In 17century Abram would be Jew - he was giving polish names to his sons, other family was maried with catholics, wifes had non jewish names, isnt it?
I didnt see Okmiański noble was Jew in online search. You may be confused with ormiańscy żydzi?
ossnhughie

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:50 am      Post subject: Thank you.

Sirdan,
Thank you for your continued help I have continued to find more Okmianski's and Waszkiewicz' in the Szaty and Zejmy metric books, my question is what does the surname Waszkiewicz mean??

Thanks again,

Hugh

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: