PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 63

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:28 am      Post subject: from Lviv to Croatia

What would be your guess as to the reason people may have left the Lviv region (Dobrotwar) to settle for a while in Hercegovac, Croatia? The immigrant then came to the USA with a brother in 1905. The family didn't seem to have deep roots in Lviv according to some records I have found.

I am not knowledgable about any wars in that region. Perhaps it was purely economic?
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:38 pm      Post subject:

At that time, the Croatia and Galicia was under Austrian-HUngary rule. I believe moving around was easy. The most frequent reason of moving to other place was to find work or better payed one. Question how long your ancestor satyed in Croatia, why he didnt go to USA from Lviv. Croatia was highly agricultural. Maybe your ancestor got specialized craft job?
Here is great book about migrations in europe https://books.google.pl/books?id=vfNuh5PQ2T0C&dq=migracja+do+chorwacji+w+austro+w%C4%99grach&source=gbs_navlinks_s there is preview of this book, you will find many many references to english sources.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Emigration All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: