PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 354

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:16 am      Post subject: tracking down records of moving ancestors

My PO friends,

I firstly would like to thank the myriad of excellent contributors that have helped me in translating records as well as given me input and various resources online, that have helped me to have so much success in my research. This forum has proven to be a vital research aid/lifeline my heartfelt thanks to those who administer this website Smile

My reason for posting has to do with tracking down ancestors that have been recorded in villages yet after searching many years in the future the family seems to have vanished from the parish metrics, no sign of other births, marriages or even deaths.

One case I would like to cite as an example is my ancestors from the Dowiat family. The parents Sir Bartlomiej and Lady Aniela (Romanowska) Dowiat were married in January of 1821 in Zejmy parish to the North of Kaunas Lithuania whilst residents of Zejmy parish they had 4 children:

1.Maryanna Anna: B. 1822 M. ? D. ?
2.Alexander Kazimierz: B. 1825 D. 1828 in Zejmy
3.Katarzyna Petronela: B. 1827 M.? D. ?
4.Petronela Konstancja: B. 1828 D. 1832 Mejszagola parish

They had the following children in Mejszagola Lithuania:

5.Nikodem Karol: B 1831 (Was apparently exiled to Siberia for participating in January Rising.)

6.Julia Wiktoria: B. 1833 M. Sir Konstanty Szmykiewicz in Mejszagola in 1859, later settled in neighboring Szyrwinty
parish (Home parish of Konstanty).

7.Johanna Bogumila: B. 1835. D. 1840 Mejszagola parish.

8.Wiktoria Pelagia: B. 1838 D. 1839 (First Twin)
9.Aleksandra Dominika: B. 1838 D. ??

Sometime between Petronela's 1828 birth and Nikodem's 1831 birth the family moved from Zejmy to Mejszagola parish a good distance east-south east of Zejmy. The evidence I have is that Bartlomiej's father Jozef Dowiat, was baptized in the parish Szaty (just north of Zejmy) in 1766, as were numerous brothers and sisters all the way to 1782. I am unsure what parish Jozef's father Michal Dowiat was from, however his wife Lady Ewa Okmianska's family had roots in the area going way back to before 1600.

I have yet to find Bartlomiej's nor Aniela Romanowska's birth records (this project is being undertaken by a researcher in Vilnius).

Bartlomiej himself died in Mejszagola parish in June of 1839, leaving behind his wife and children. I found an online 1840 parish census of Mejszagola that lists the household of the Widow Aniela Dowiatowna as follows:

!.Aniela Dowiatowna mother (widow) aged 38.
2.Maryanna Dowiatowna aged 17.
3.Nikodem Dowiat aged 10.
4.Julianna Dowiatowna aged 7.
5.Aleksandra Dowitowna aged 2.

**No mention of Katarzyna Petronela on list or in Zejmy or Mejszagola death registers**

The confusing part really begins in the period from the 1840 census afterwards. No mentions of any other marriages from 1840 to 1857 nor deaths from 1840 to 1870. A communion list from the year 1861 in Mejszagola has no mention of any Dowiat's kliving in Mejszagola anymore, yet in 1859 Julianna (My direct ancestor) was still living in the parish when she was married.

The question is what happened to the mother and her siblings? Nikodem was later exiled, yet that leaves her mother and her sisters who seem to have vanished.

Any suggestions in where to look, or what to look for??

Thanks so much,

Hugh

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: