PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 354

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:42 pm      Post subject: what past voivodeship was ancestral villages in?

My Dear PO friends,

I was hoping someone here would be able to help me discern what voivodeships my two ancestral villages were located in the Lithuania. They were from the two neigboring villages of Szaty and Zejmy. According to modern maps szaty is just to the east of Kedainiai, and Zejmy is slightly south of Szaty (modern villages of Seta and Zeimiai). The map from wikipedia attached here shows that in this area to the east and south east of of Kedainiai which means the villages could be in the Zmudz (Samogitia), Troki, or Wilno Voivodeships.

I was hoping someone here could help answer this question who might have better maps or Polish language resources.

It seems from the maps that the borders of these three voivodeships didn't change during the time of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

Many thanks to those who can help.

Hugh

Grand Duchy of Lithuania voivodeships.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  435.58 KB
 Viewed:  3273 Time(s)

Grand Duchy of Lithuania voivodeships.png

Send e-mail
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:52 pm      Post subject:

JewishGen Gazetteer:
Jeimi, Žeimė, Žeimiai, Žeimis, Žeimių, Zheymy, Zheymyay populated place 55°11' N 24°13' E 89.5 kilometers NW of Vilnius
Šėta, Šetos, Shaty, Sheta, Szaty populated place 55°17' N 24°15' E 95.2 kilometers NW of Vilnius
From Geographical Dictionary of Poland:
2.) Sz., żmujdzkie Szety, mko nad rz. Abelą, pow. wiłkomierski, pod 55°17' płn. szer. a 41°57' wschd. (ed Greenwich 24 17)
Woj. Zmudz replaced woj. Samogitia, upper part of woj. Trakai, and nw part of woj. Vilnius (your map). See the 1880s map from
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/Gubernie_zachodnie_krolestwo_polskie_1902.jpg
But in 17th C, pow wilkomierski was in then woj. Vinius.
http://www.potempski.com/Background/polska_1648-1705.htm
So unfortunately the province did change.

Szaty Area1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.91 KB
 Viewed:  3273 Time(s)

Szaty Area1.jpg

Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:47 pm      Post subject: Re: what past voivodeship was ancestral villages in?

ossnhughie wrote:
My Dear PO friends,

I was hoping someone here would be able to help me discern what voivodeships my two ancestral villages were located in the Lithuania. They were from the two neigboring villages of Szaty and Zejmy. According to modern maps szaty is just to the east of Kedainiai, and Zejmy is slightly south of Szaty (modern villages of Seta and Zeimiai). The map from wikipedia attached here shows that in this area to the east and south east of of Kedainiai which means the villages could be in the Zmudz (Samogitia), Troki, or Wilno Voivodeships.

I was hoping someone here could help answer this question who might have better maps or Polish language resources.

It seems from the maps that the borders of these three voivodeships didn't change during the time of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

Many thanks to those who can help.

Hugh

Hugh,

You have both places: Żejmy and Szaty on the old Polish map from 1915, indicating powiats *in 1915*
http://www.mapywig.org/m/WIG_maps/series/100K_300dpi/O21_Janow_n._Wilia_WIG_1922_(1915)_300dpi.jpg
-- actually 3 powiats noted in bottom margin are: Kowno (letter K), Wiłkomierz (Wi), Troki (T).
Lithouanians changed the names, Wiłkomierz is Ukmergė today.

Żejmy is in the right top corner: find "Wi" in the top margin, and go down, very close.
Szaty is in the left bottom corner: find "Eigergola" in the bottom margin, slightly to the right you will see "Szatyje" - that is the orthography for Szaty.

If you need to find it on modern maps, you have to calibrate with rivers: Niewiaża is in the top left triangle of the old map.
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niewia%C5%BCa

It seems to me from the old map, that both Żejmy and Szatyje were in Wiłkomierz powiat in 1915. It is Kaunas County today.

But if you try to fit things into the map from 1645, then good luck - it is too small. My guessing is green area: Troki, just in the most narrow "neck", a little above Janow on the old map, and Jonava today.
http://forum.polishorigins.com/files/grand_duchy_of_lithuania_voivodeships_111.png

Best,
Elzbieta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: