PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 73

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:22 pm      Post subject: Having trouble finding a surname, read this?!

Are you having trouble locating your ancestors surname in the records?

I found this article explaining that at different times some children had different last names in Poland, for different reasons! The article talks about- 2 children have the mothers maiden name and the other 3 have the father's surname, however they are all the same man's children.

This article is worth a read if you have been having a hard time finding your relative in a certain town! I hope it helps someone.

*I have been having a difficult time finding my ggrandmother Helena Makuch in the town records even though others records give indication of the county etc. but she is not there. So, I started to wonder if she was of a different religion and started researching possibilities!

Also, my ggrandfather has his mothers maiden name but the fathers name is known and listed in his marriage record. So, when I came across the article, I thought it could help someone else in a similar situation.

Her is the link to the article:
http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/kolomea/surmar.htm
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:52 am      Post subject:

Interesting article. The hints included in it apply mainly to Jewish families. According to law in Kingdom of Poland (Russian part of Poland) and in Austria (Galicia) in 1800s the Christian priests (Roman Catholic, Greek Catholic, Protestants) were at the same time the acting civil registry clerks. This means that all events like births, marriages and deaths which were reported to priest or pastor were at the same time treated as an official state events.

Christians just didn't have to register again in any civil registry office as it was in the case described in this article.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: