PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:41 pm      Post subject: Surname Behnke, Bienke and variants

I am searching for my mother's paternal family. The family name is Behnke which is an 'Americanization' of the name. The spelling variations include Bienke, Bienka, Binko, Binka depending on the source document. I found a Polish language database site. I took as guess at the choices and found a geographic distribution of family names. From it I have the feeling the name was possibly shortened from Bienkowski or something similar when my great grandfather immigrated. The birthplace of his and my great grandmother is Grudzieu which I think is Grudziadz as most US documents show Germany-Poland or Prussia as birth place. My ggf's death certificate lists Gris Groudent as his birthplace; there is no name like that in Poland. It is likely the memory of my grandfather was incorrect.

I wondered if anyone might have a lead or give me a push in the right direction.

Thanks, in Advance

Rich Gibson
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:31 am      Post subject:

Rich,

I think that Jozef gave you right direction about the town name and location: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=2876#2876 .

Regarding surname it is hard to guess without any sources. What is the oldest document where the surname is put Question You could upload it here for us to try to help you.
Send e-mail
Rich Gibson

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:40 am      Post subject:

Zenon wrote:
Rich,

I think that Jozef gave you right direction about the town name and location: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=2876#2876 .

Regarding surname it is hard to guess without any sources. What is the oldest document where the surname is put Question You could upload it here for us to try to help you.

Here is the 1900 census; the name used was Bienka. Thank you, your offer is very kind.
Zenon

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:10 pm      Post subject:

Richard,

I am afraid it is impossible to read handwriting from this picture however, title of the record reads Bienka. There is in fact about 215 individuals in Poland using surname Bieńka (with Polish "ń").

However I think, that now when you know most probable place of last residence - Grudziądz, and dates of births - 1850 and 1855, you should focus on searching Grudziadz records. Do you know in what was religion of your ggrandparents Question

Last edited by Zenon on Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
Rich Gibson

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:11 pm      Post subject:

Yes, Roman Catholic. Sorry about my previous image; I wasn't thinking

Zenon

Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:15 am      Post subject:

Definitely looks like "Bienka".
Send e-mail
L Bienke

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:13 am      Post subject: Bienke, Beinke, Behnke, Bienike, Beinike, Beinske, Beincke,

Hello, such a late reply to your message but here we go.

My name is Lesley (nee Bienke) my ancestor Friedrich Wilhelm Bienke (1850-1939) immigrated to Australia. He was the son of Wilhelm Jacob Bienke (1827-1859). Apparently Wilhelm and Caroline had an additional 3 boys and 1 female child. They were married in 1848 - Margonin, Posen, Prussia and this is where Friedrich was born. I can not track his siblings or his father's birth and death records. Friedrich left Prussia to Queensland, Australia. I am his decendant.

1847 two men immigrated from Prussia to Adelaide, South Australia, Australia. One BIEnke (from Margonin) and one BEInke. I have just received a copy of the BEInke family history book which is amazing!!!! I am yet to factually prove the connection between the two men and back to my family but I think the key lays in the records under the name of B it ehnke.

In their book it states that the variations of the Beinke name are:
Behnke, Bienike, Beinike, Beinske, Beincke, Beinkie

So excited... feel I am very close.
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:38 am      Post subject:

Lesley,

The metrical books from Margonin are in the Archidiocese Archive in Poznań (also microfilmed by LDS). If you need any assistance with your research, feel free to contact us to [email protected].

Good luck with your research!
Aga
Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: