PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 97

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:24 pm      Post subject: Poland and basic Polish

We are getting our ducks in a row for a trip to Poland in May of 2017. We've made contact with relatives and have a basic itinerary. It's been a half of a century since I've spoken Polish. I would like to take a rudimentary or beginners course in Polish. Could you recommend something for me?
Thanks for any advice.

Send e-mail
Visit poster's website
dgawell

Replies: 63

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:54 pm      Post subject:

No advice on the language- my Polish is atrocious. What area are you going to visit? Start thinking about what to bring as a gift. I made Shutterfly books of the family, tea towels from Ohio (they are light) and lots of USA themed Christmas ornaments for people whom I would meet but didn't expect to. You might want to look for those things now.

I will look forward to hearing how your trip went. We were there last May and the weather was very nice. Be sure to visit a skansen!
Donna
dgawell

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:56 pm      Post subject:

I forgot to ask- have you been there before?
singingfalls
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:49 pm      Post subject:

No, have not been there before. Seems like everywhere but there. Now, I will go before I kick the bucket (Lord willing). I have the location of the birth places of my great great grandparents. That is where I will go. My wife is a student of the holocaust so we will also go to Auschwitz for a time of prayer. Lublin, Adamówka, Luchów Górny are the places. I have a couple of near and distant cousins to meet there via DNA and genealogical research. I must think of what to bring. I have already purchased for them DNA testing. They are excited about that.
There are at least a dozen people from the area that I will meet. What should I get them besides Christmas ornaments?

Send e-mail
Visit poster's website
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:07 am      Post subject:

Staśu,

Great to hear that you are coming to Poland! Have a look at this article about preparations for touring in Poland: http://polishorigins.com/tour/genealogy-tour-preparation.pdf, there are some suggestions of gifts for the family, based on our former guests' experience.

If only you will need some help with the organization of your travel in Poland, feel free to contact us to [email protected].

Wishing you and interesting and exciting 2017!
Aga
Visit poster's website
dgawell

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:12 am      Post subject: close by

We are almost cousins! I visited around Kolbuszowa which is about an hour away. The Rzeszow airport is quite easy to get around. Small and modern. Are you flying in from there? You might wan to consider going to the Blizne Historical Park near Kolbuszowa if you want to see an amazing part of WWII history. Also, in Krakow, we thought the Schindler Factory museum was pretty spectacular. That is near the Kazmeircz area near Krakow. We stayed near there. Great location.
singingfalls
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:26 am      Post subject:

Thank you Aga for this informative document. We will make good use of it. I will certainly keep you in mind concerning our visit.

dgawell, Cousins! Yes, there is the possibility. If you are interested in finding out for sure please take a look at my web pages on the subject.
http://www.singingfalls.com/dna.html in English and http://www.singingfalls.com/dna_polska.html in Polish. Thanks for the valuable hints regarding our trip. We will certainly visit these places you have advised.

Send e-mail
Visit poster's website

Jump to: