PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 33

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:23 am      Post subject: Slawoszewek or Slawoszewo?

I recently translated a Baptism record from Latin and I am unsure if the town is Slawoszewek (near Kleczew) or Slawoszewo which is a town a little further east of Slawoszewek. It is written as SLAWOSZEWKO and I am not sure if I am dealing with a Latin or Polish ending on the word. I have attached a copy.

1814 Josepha Birth daugher of Andrzej Kosmala and Veronica.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  463.23 KB
 Viewed:  5964 Time(s)

1814 Josepha Birth daugher of Andrzej Kosmala and Veronica.jpg

sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:59 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

It looks like you place the village Sławoszewko near Kleczew (Kleczewo as older name?) district. If so, then according to this list hgisb.kul.lublin.pl/agad/rejestry/lista_miejscowosci.xls Sławoszewko is today Sławoszewek. Thats 3026 line in xls.
GerriKos

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:39 pm      Post subject: Slawoszewek or Slawoszewo?

Sirdan,

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I have some family from Slawoszewek but since there is a town with a similar name (Slawoszewo) a few miles east, I wanted to check with someone instead of assuming I was right. Thanks again.
GerriKos

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:57 pm      Post subject: Slawoszewek or Slawoszewo?

Sirdan,

I just realized I have to thank you again. The list of towns that you sent above helped me confirm another town that we were confused about while traveling in Poland. Many of my records had a town called Dunajec which should have been near Kleczew but was not. Zenon found an old map in the Kleczew Library showing the village of Dunajec just above Kleczew . We drove there and I realized that it should have been where Izabelin was now located. The people from Izabelin thought that the name had been changed. Your list confirmed that the name did indeed change from Donajec to Izabelin !! That list is a good reference source for situations like this. I had been searching for this town for years and now, thanks to you and Zenon, I know where my family was in the early 1800's.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:35 pm      Post subject: Re: Slawoszewek or Slawoszewo?

GerriKos wrote:
I recently translated a Baptism record from Latin and I am unsure if the town is Slawoszewek (near Kleczew) or Slawoszewo which is a town a little further east of Slawoszewek. It is written as SLAWOSZEWKO and I am not sure if I am dealing with a Latin or Polish ending on the word. I have attached a copy.

Hi GerriKos,

Sometimes the names of geographical locations in older documents can appear to be problematic in that the spelling and the names themselves are at times not consistent. When Sirdan poses the possibility that Kleczewo could be an older version of Kleczew he is right on the money---that is indeed what it is. Certainly old maps (and one can never have too many of those) can provide archaic spellings of places and thus are a very valuable resource. Another wonderful resource which should not be ignored is the well-known Słownik geograficzny Krόlestwa Polskiego…etc., a 15 volume work published from 1880 through 1900. This geographical dictionary can not only open the window to spelling and name variations through the years but it also often provides good descriptions of the places and their population. Attached are the pages containing the entries for Kleczew and for Slawoszewek. Here is a link to the “Gilly map” (produced by David Gilly in 1802-1803) which shows variants of some place names as they are found in your record --- https:www.sggee.org/research/gilly_maps/south_prussia.maps.html The section of the map you would want to look at is B2.

Regarding the linguistic question of whether the endings of the place names were Polish or Latin---they are Polish names. As a general rule, proper names (surnames and locations) are not “Latinized”. They almost always appear in the records in the form in which they are found in the vernacular. However, there is one major exception to what has just been stated---Place names sometimes are treated as Third Declension adjectives. When this is the case it is totally obvious---the place name takes on the suffix “ensis” which uses the Third Declension case endings. When treated as adjectives the words often are modifying an expressed or understood noun or are acting as a substantive. The expressed or understood nouns can be words like diocesis/diocese, parochial/parish, urbs/city, pagus/village, etc. My personal favorite example is how places like Chicago appear in this adjectival format---Chicago = Chicagiensis. Unless you see the “ensis” ending with one or another of the case endings it is a 99.9% sure bet that the place is being entered in the vernacular (in this case Polish) form.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave

0791-small.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.97 KB

0791-small.png

0126-small.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.55 KB

0126-small.png

0125-small.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.78 KB

0125-small.png

GerriKos

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:24 am      Post subject: Slawoszewek or Slawoszewo?

Thanks for the information Dave. I put it right with my translation folder so I have it to refer to the next time I have a question.
Notinumi8

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:58 pm      Post subject:

return man 3 unblocked I am not quite sure about that.

Last edited by Notinumi8 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tina Ellis

Replies: 74

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:09 pm      Post subject:

I checked mapa.szukacz.pl an found four places with these names, all not too far apart in the same woj., pow., gmina and parafia.

You need to look at the map at mapa.szukacz.pl. They are easy to find using this site. You can make the map a couple of notches small to see the full area. Look at them separately first. Slawoszewek show the location of the original colony and where the manor was for the nobleman, his family and probably workers (peasants).

(1) wies
Sławoszewek
woj. wielkopolskie
pow. koninski
gmina Kleczew
460 osob
kod: 62-540

(2) czesc wsi
Sławoszewek-Kolonia
woj. wielkopolskie
pow. koninski
gmina Kleczew

(3) czesc wsi
Sławoszewek-Folwark
woj. wielkopolskie
pow. koninski
gmina Kleczew

This place is about 3.16 km from Slawoszewek.

(1) wies
Slawoszewo (The l in Slawoszewo has a diacritical mark, a slash through the l.)
woj. wielkopolskie
pow. koninski
gmina Kleczew
274 osoby
kod: 62-540

I haven't checked, but I bet they are in the same parish.

The records you need are online at this site: http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/search?q=Kleczew%20XSKANro%3At&order=data_poczatkowa&rpp=100. That may be redundant of me, if you already knew that. Smile

Here's a very helpful site to help you with the German: https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/German_Word_List

This on is for Latin: https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Latin_Genealogical_Word_List

This one is for Polish: https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Polish_Word_List

This will also help you with German documents: https://www.sggee.org/research/translation_aids.html#GermanScript

Happy hunting,
Tina Ellis
[email protected]
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: