PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:32 pm      Post subject: Surnames and towns

Two things actually. First, I'm struggling with a name spelling. Can you help me decipher my great grandfather's name on this portion of the ship manifest I have from my grandmother's travels? My grandmother is Jozefa Nowak and my aunt is Marya Nowak on the manifest attached.
Based on the rest of the names it is last name followed by first name. From what I can tell it says “father Cjatez (or maybe Cjatcz), Wojciech from Dobrkow”.
I've always been told that my grandmother's maiden name was Gac. I keep searching and have come up with nothing for the spelling I figured out. I'm sure whoever wrote it could have spelled it phonetically based on what he heard. If it reminds you of some other family surname I'm open to suggestions. The documents say she was from Dobrkow.
Second, my grandfather, Piotr Nowak traveled a few years earlier and his says he was from Podgrodzie. I have found that Nowak is about as common in Poland as Smith is in the USA, but I haven’t found it to be common in Podgrodzie. I don’t really know where else to look online for any records of family there.
My dad used to tell me that his parents came from “east of Krakow” so I’m figuring these towns are the correct ones. Unfortunately, I started this after anyone who could answer my questions passed away.
Any help is appreciated.
Marybeth

pnmanifest.JPG
 Description:
This is from my grandfather's travel (line 2 Piotr Nowak) has my grandmother and town listed on far right.
 Filesize:  193.78 KB
 Viewed:  3667 Time(s)

pnmanifest.JPG

Nowak manifest.JPG
 Description:
Lines 6 & 7 end of the entry need help with the surname (see enlarged version I also attached).
 Filesize:  226.07 KB

Nowak manifest.JPG

Wojciech.jpg
 Description:
Enlarged view of the surname that I am trying to decipher.
 Filesize:  219.29 KB

Wojciech.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1027

Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:47 am      Post subject:

Hi Marybeth,
I see how you could read Wojciech's surname as beginning with the letters "Cj..." but imagine those two merged into one - - now, can you read it as a big, loopy "G"?
I am seeing Gatez or Gaterz on these manifests and I expect that the actual spelling ought to be either Gatesz or possibly Gątarz but the most likely scenario is that the name is Gać .
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
mbcramer
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:47 am      Post subject: Surnames and towns

Wow! The addition of the accent on the c made a big change in my searches already. And that would make sense that my dad would always know it as Gac, but the manifest would have it more phonetically spelled with a cz ending. Now to put some more time into the search. Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: