PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:06 pm      Post subject: ASSISTANCE IN RESEARCHING AKSZTULEWICZ NAME

I am trying to do some research of my last name. My grandfather, John E. Aksztulewicz, SR was born October 28, 1911 (I believe) and he passed away in July 1989. My grandmother, Mary Ann (Marozas) was born April 24, 1915 and passed away April 24, 2008. I have been told that our great, great grandfather dropped the first Z in the name and was using Akstulewicz as the last name.
My grandmother was Lithuanian, as I have been told. Growing up, we were told we were Russian-Polish.
My grandfather had a brother named Vincent and I believe it was his father that changed his name from Vincent Aksztulewicz to Joseph Malecki. I was corresponding with a family member in Florida that provided some of the info.

Any information is greatly appreciated.
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:46 am      Post subject:

Hello Eddie, recently some people on PO started looking their ancestors from Lithuania, hopefully you can find your family too.

Names Aksztulewicz is rare name, which means it would be easier to find possible connection. According to moikrewni there were 8 people with this name in Wrocław in 2005... they might moved from Wilno after WWII. I believe such name belonged to person living somewhere at Lithuanian border.
Marozas definitely is Lithuanian surname.
To help in search, please provide additional info, about father of John Aksztulewicz, where he would come from, etc.

After tiny research i found that Akstulewitz Stanislaw born 1888/1889 came to USA in 1909 from Kowaliszki village. Former Poland, russian under partitions, today Lithuania. I dont want to make opinion on russian roots, but very often nationality was given after the coutry that partitioned Poland. Lithuania was grabbed from Poland by Russia. Kowaliszki is just an example.
Other rare Aksztulewicz is Edward, son of Józef, soldier of AK http://inwentarz.ipn.gov.pl/showDetails?id=669036&q=&page=23&url=[grupaAktotworcyId=13|aktotworcaId=4193|typ=2] and http://www.ogrodywspomnien.pl/index/showd/75913 he was born in Wilno.

Some more search is needed with additional info to connect places and people.
Eddie

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:56 am      Post subject:

Thank you. I will do some further research and provide info as I receive it. The town of Wilno sounds familiar as I remember some other relatives mentioning that.
Eddie

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:55 pm      Post subject: AKSZTULEWICZ NAME

I did some further research. My grandfather's mother and father came to the US around 1905. My great grandfather was Vincent Akstulewicz and he was born in Russia around 1872. My great grandmother was Constance Akstulewicz and she was born in Russia around 1874. Her mother was Christina Radecki and she was born in Russia also but she spoke Polish. When them immigrated to the US, the name looked like it was spelled Okstulewicz on the documents.
As I was looking, I noticed a person with the same name as me had died and was buried in Dolnoslaskie, Poland.
Wow, with all the changes, where do I start? Is the name Russian or Polish?
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:25 pm      Post subject: Re: AKSZTULEWICZ NAME

Eddie wrote:
I did some further research. My grandfather's mother and father came to the US around 1905. My great grandfather was Vincent Akstulewicz and he was born in Russia around 1872. My great grandmother was Constance Akstulewicz and she was born in Russia around 1874. Her mother was Christina Radecki and she was born in Russia also but she spoke Polish. When them immigrated to the US, the name looked like it was spelled Okstulewicz on the documents.
As I was looking, I noticed a person with the same name as me had died and was buried in Dolnoslaskie, Poland.
Wow, with all the changes, where do I start? Is the name Russian or Polish?

Welcome back Eddie!
Firstly, to answer your question whether the name is Russian or Polish i say the latter. Why? When i looked on 1910 census, i saw country of born written as Poland. Later it was line crossed, and added Russia, and Polish in brackets (probably nationality). Poland was crossed on every record. Probably because at that time it was under Russian regime. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MKYF-MYK

So what else we know from this document, Vincent Jr also was born in Poland. They had also daughter Athalia (must be later Natalia) and William.

I found marriage of Bolesław (later Barney?) Aksztulewicz and Mary Rzeźnik. On this document, parents of the groom were born in Poland. The witness was John Aksztulewicz. Constatia's surname was described as Orodecka. Bolesław was born just after family enumerating?, in 1910 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKN1-LB58 and https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKN1-L1Q8

It looks like you found enough info to track down your roots! So where to start? Lets first find death records of Vincent and Constantine. Ususally such papers have more exact info regarding place of birth. It looks like Vincent died in 1961 in Chicago IL http://herkimer.nygenweb.net/herksursA.html and Constantine died on May of 1968 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VMKZ-FZX Sometimes its possible to find such records online, depends on state law.

Other documents to search would be mariage records of children Vincent JR, (may married Josephine Suruda), Constantine JR (probably Married Frank Pawlowski), William or Athelia/Natalia. Always worth look on that, there is chance of finding parents' town of birth.

Do you have papers of immigration? there should be also city/town whence person came from.

Can you find any connetion to people from the links?
hiwalani

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:42 pm      Post subject: Re: ASSISTANCE IN RESEARCHING AKSZTULEWICZ NAME

Eddie wrote:
I am trying to do some research of my last name. My grandfather, John E. Aksztulewicz, SR was born October 28, 1911 (I believe) and he passed away in July 1989. My grandmother, Mary Ann (Marozas) was born April 24, 1915 and passed away April 24, 2008. I have been told that our great, great grandfather dropped the first Z in the name and was using Akstulewicz as the last name.
My grandmother was Lithuanian, as I have been told. Growing up, we were told we were Russian-Polish.
My grandfather had a brother named Vincent and I believe it was his father that changed his name from Vincent Aksztulewicz to Joseph Malecki. I was corresponding with a family member in Florida that provided some of the info.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Eddie, my grandmother was Natalie Taboleski Aukstulewicz and her dad was Vincent Sr. You will find Vincent Sr arrival at Port of New York March 1902 on ship Vaderland which sailed out of Belgium. The name shows as Wincenty Ankstolevicz in the record transcript, but when you look at the original, it is actually "Aukstolevicz" with the 'u' looking like an 'n'. His wife Constance and the two children Natalia & Vincent Jr came over in 1906. The name on this manifest is typewritten Auksztelewicz as well as handwritten Auksztulewicz. In the Bible that my dad got from his mother, Natalie, it shows his Vincent's name spelled as "William Wincenty Auksztulewicz". The 1910 census spells Vincent Okstulewicz, By 1920, Vincent was no longer using the Akstulewicz last name but instead used the last name of Scott. To make things even more confusing,, he started using the first name of William rather than Vincent. Vincent Jr, as you know, changed his name entirely to Joseph Malecki. The Scott last name was apparently never legally changed to Scott, so his social security has the name of Vincent Aksztulewicz with wife Constance Orodeka. In his citation of will at his death, he is listed as William Aksztulewicz (Scott) in Town of Florida. Wife listed as Konstancja Aksztulewicz. Your grandfather John is listed in this citation also.
on copy of his naturalization application petition for citizenship, he filled in his name as Vincenty Auksztulewicz, DOB Nov 20, 1869, in city/town of Ozubali, Country Wilno. Also reconfirms the entry date as aboard ship from Belgium on March 4, 1902. List wife's name as Konstancja Horodecka. ( a side note: in 1910 census, lists Constance's mother as living with them and her name is listed as Radecki. )
There is lots more but hope this helps

Eddie

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:28 pm      Post subject: AKSZTULEWICZ NAME

Hiwalani, thanks for the info. Wow, it is great to read all this data and brings back memories of growing up. Often times, when the family would get together, many of the last names were different, but we were all still the Aksztulewicz family. Wow, our grandparents were siblings. I guess that makes us distant cousins. I thought most of the descendants of the family name were either back in upstate NY or the mid-west.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: