PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:28 am      Post subject: Help me break through the barriers: Machowiak, Chmielewska

Roadblock! I found my 2nd Great Grandfather , wife & children on a Ship's log leaving from Bremen, Germany and arriving in Baltimore. 1883. But since all records destroyed in Bremen at end of war, we are unable to find anything else. Help! Cant even find other relatives in Shamokin, PA due to the family changing their surname to Mattis. Stanislous born in 1847. married Victoria Chmielewska in 1870, Poland. Victoria was born in 1848. HELP!
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:32 am      Post subject: Re: Help me break through the barriers: Machowiak, Chmielews

jdeflow wrote:
Roadblock! I found my 2nd Great Grandfather , wife & children on a Ship's log leaving from Bremen, Germany and arriving in Baltimore. 1883. But since all records destroyed in Bremen at end of war, we are unable to find anything else. Help! Cant even find other relatives in Shamokin, PA due to the family changing their surname to Mattis. Stanislous born in 1847. married Victoria Chmielewska in 1870, Poland. Victoria was born in 1848. HELP!

Hi,

Here is a good marriage match on the names. The year of the marriage and thus the years of birth of the bride and groom are not an exact match with the data you posted but it is not a big deal if dates from secondary sources are off by a few years.
The parish is Łabiszyn (cf. attached map). Some records for that parish are available online at https://genealogiawarchiwach.pl (beginning with 1874) and others are available at szukajwarchiwach.pl but a quick check did not show records for 1868 but there 5 pages of results to look through. If all else fails, the records are available on a LDS film.

Wishing you success,

Dave

mapa.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  196.64 KB
 Viewed:  5316 Time(s)

mapa.JPG

Capture.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.41 KB

Capture.JPG

jdeflow

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:00 am      Post subject: Searching your link

Dave, thanks! but I cant find the 5 pages your referring to. Went to link but cant figure out how to search properly.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:23 am      Post subject: Re: Searching your link

jdeflow wrote:
Dave, thanks! but I cant find the 5 pages your referring to. Went to link but cant figure out how to search properly.

Hi again,

I took a better look at the 5 pages and they contain Protestant/Lutheran records which are not the ones you need. It looks like you will need to find the record on LDS films.

Dave
jdeflow

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:25 am      Post subject: Marriage record

ok, but where did you find the marriage record you first sent me? and Map
jdeflow

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:27 am      Post subject: Re: Searching your link

dnowicki wrote:
jdeflow wrote:

Hi again,

I took a better look at the 5 pages and they contain Protestant/Lutheran records which are not the ones you need. It looks like you will need to find the record on LDS films.

Dave

do you have a link to the LDS films?
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:49 am      Post subject: Re: Searching your link

jdeflow wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
jdeflow wrote:

Hi again,

Dave

do you have a link to the LDS films?

The record is indexed on the Poznan Project. The web address can be seen at the top of the screen shot I sent. The LDS site is https://familysearch.org You can find the films by searching the catalog for Labiszyn. The attachment shows the R.C. parish films for Labiszyn. Scroll through the catalog listings until you find the film you need. It is Film Number 2292834 and the item on the film is number 1. To rent the film you need to set up a free Family Search account. There is a nominal fee for film rental and the films must be viewed at an accredited center---either a LDS research center or an accredited public library. It usually takes at least two weeks for films to arrive after the order has been placed.

The categories of records on the films are Akta urodzen (births), Akta malzenstw (Marriages), and Akta zgonow (deaths).

The map is from the mapa.szukacz.pl site The web address is visible on the screen snip of the map.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Dave

Capture.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.81 KB

Capture.JPG

mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:39 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

I found census information for 1900, 1910, and 1920 see attached.

Best,
Cynthia

Victoria Mattis 1920 census.jpg
 Description:
1920 census
 Filesize:  1.9 MB

Victoria Mattis 1920 census.jpg

Stani Mattis 1910 census.jpg
 Description:
1910 census
 Filesize:  1.24 MB

Stani Mattis 1910 census.jpg

Stanley Mattis 1900 census.jpg
 Description:
1900 census
 Filesize:  1.65 MB

Stanley Mattis 1900 census.jpg

Send e-mail
PabianAus
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 181

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:34 am      Post subject:

If you go to the FamilySearch site as per Dave ‘s suggestion above, and open up the catalogue of microfilms for Labiszyn Roman Catholic church, you will notice that some of them have little camera icons against them. This means that they can be viewed online. Unfortunately marriages for 1868 are not digitised however if you assume that both the bride and groom married sometime between the ages of 18 and 30 (i.e. between 1838 and 1850) and were born in Labiszyn, then you could search the online scanned images of the birth records for those years.
Good hunting.

Tom

Labiszyn Catalogue of Microfilms.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  138.9 KB

Labiszyn Catalogue of Microfilms.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: