PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 20

Post Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:59 pm      Post subject: Help me discover my roots - Dziuba

Hello,

I am interested in trying to find my Polish roots. I have done quite a bit of research but I still do not know which part of Poland my family originated from. I know that my Great Great Grandfather entered the United States in 1913. His name was John Dziuba. His parents were Frank Dziuba and Mary Municza both of Poland. His wife was Mary Gron (sometimes I see it as Marya) and they married on November 4, 1913 in Cayuga County New York. I would like to find out what ship he came in on and what part of Poland our family lived in. John and Mary’s children as of 1930:

Rosalia Dziuba 15
Helen Dziuba 13
Joseph Dziuba 11
Martha Dziuba 10
Stanley Dziuba 8
Janina Dziuba 5

1915.png
 Description:
1915 Census
 Filesize:  68.19 KB
 Viewed:  12241 Time(s)

1915.png

Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:34 pm      Post subject:

Hi Erin,
Your grandfather married quickly after his arrival - did he know his bride when he lived in Poland - maybe they were from the same village? You have the date of the marriage, were you able to view the church record?

I found your GG-grandfather in the 1920 census under the name Zuba or Juba. You probably already have it, but I've attached it just in case. See line 35.

Dzuba, John 1920.jpg
 Description:
1930 census - Rochester, NY.
Click to enlarge image
 Filesize:  1.03 MB
 Viewed:  12241 Time(s)

Dzuba, John 1920.jpg

Erin Dziuba

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:13 pm      Post subject:

Hi!

I am not actually sure if they met in Poland. I couldn't find any information on Jan (John's) parents from poland either. Any search for Frank Dziuba and Mary Municza came up empty. I have a lot more on Marya Gron:

Marya Gron Daughter of John Gron and Mary
Barczyk both of Poland, born 1888, immigrated 1909. Per Ellis Island, came of the ship SS Pennsylvania on Dec 31, 1909 from Hamburg Germany and had been living in Sacz, Austria prior to immigration and was Polish and Austrian.

But I still have no town information and can't find any information on remaining documents.

Thanks for looking!
Magroski49

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:39 pm      Post subject:

Erin Dziuba wrote:
Hi!

Marya Gron Daughter of John Gron and Mary
Barczyk both of Poland, born 1888, immigrated 1909. Per Ellis Island, came of the ship SS Pennsylvania on Dec 31, 1909 from Hamburg Germany and had been living in Sacz, Austria prior to immigration and was Polish and Austrian.

But I still have no town information and can't find any information on remaining documents.

Thanks for looking!

Hi, Erin

I had seen this arrival but left it aside because father's name did not match. It seems to be Stanislaw. Also, could not identifiy her birth place (K.....kowo?)

Gilberto

father.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.89 KB
 Viewed:  12249 Time(s)

father.JPG

place.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.41 KB
 Viewed:  12249 Time(s)

place.JPG

Send e-mail
Iurii

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:40 am      Post subject: Re: Help me discover my roots - Dziuba

Erin Dziuba wrote:
Hello,

I am interested in trying to find my Polish roots. I have done quite a bit of research but I still do not know which part of Poland my family originated from. I know that my Great Great Grandfather entered the United States in 1913. His name was John Dziuba. His parents were Frank Dziuba and Mary Municza both of Poland. His wife was Mary Gron (sometimes I see it as Marya) and they married on November 4, 1913 in Cayuga County New York. I would like to find out what ship he came in on and what part of Poland our family lived in. John and Mary’s children as of 1930:

Rosalia Dziuba 15
Helen Dziuba 13
Joseph Dziuba 11
Martha Dziuba 10
Stanley Dziuba 8
Janina Dziuba 5

Hello, Erin!

I think you should look up some information about surname Dziuba here (http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/settlements/PL_wetlina_poland.htm), by the way, my great-grandmother was Eva Dziuba from Wetlina.

Please, contact me.
joepolish1

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:29 pm      Post subject: Dzuiba

Hi Erin
I'm new to doing this research but stumbled on your name. My sister Marianne Plesniak married a Stanley Dzuiba somewhere around 1950 in Perth Amboy, New Jersey. He came from somewhere in Poland after WW11, probably 1947 or 8. He was captured by the Germans and was held somewhere in Poland and managed to get away. He died quite a few years ago(probaly30) but left a son Stanley and a daughter Jacquiline. Stanley lives near Ocala, Florida and Jacquiline is still in New Jersey but plans to move to Florida in a about a year
I don't know if this is any help but it seemed interesting.
Joe Plesniak
Erin Dziuba

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:08 pm      Post subject: Back to research

I decided to try to find more information again (after hitting a dead end I gave up). I sent in DNA for Ancestry.com hopefully that helps when it gets processed. On Jan Dziuba's ship President Lincoln there was a household member that was age 58 named Kataryna Dziuba year of birth 1854, marital status listed as windowed. Jan was listed as 18 that would have made her 40 when he was born. I think it might be his grandmother. I can't find her listed on ANY census upon arrival and there is no death information or marriage info that I can find. I still do not have her spouses name. Any help appreciated. Last residents was Predlosz, Austria Ethnicity Polish. I put an * next to her name as I am not positive about her relation to Jan.

tree.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  377.58 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

tree.png

mcdonald0517

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:33 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

I found the passenger manifest you mention and there is a note by Jans name indicating he is the son of Katarzyna. It also states she has a daughter Franciszka still living in Poland, and a daughter Zofia she was going to in Philadelphia Pa.

She was also traveling with another relative possibly a niece, Franciszka Snopkowska, age 21.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Erin Dziuba

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:48 pm      Post subject:

Thank You! I might have to consider either I don't have the right Jan Dziuba ship information or I don't have his mother's name correct. Either way you provided me with names I didn't have in my notes and I will research them in the morning. I am glad to have another direction to research!

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello,

I found the passenger manifest you mention and there is a note by Jans name indicating he is the son of Katarzyna. It also states she has a daughter Franciszka still living in Poland, and a daughter Zofia she was going to in Philadelphia Pa.

She was also traveling with another relative possibly a niece, Franciszka Snopkowska, age 21.

Best,
Cynthia
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:45 am      Post subject: Re: Help me discover my roots - Dziuba

Erin Dziuba wrote:
Hello,

Rosalia Dziuba 15
Helen Dziuba 13
Joseph Dziuba 11
Martha Dziuba 10
Stanley Dziuba 8
Janina Dziuba 5

Hi Erin,
The surname Dziuba is not that rare of a name. You can see how people with this name are currently distributed across Poland:
https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Dziuba and from that map you'll see that the greatest concentration of them is in the southeast, which corresponds with the "Austria" notation on the 1915 New York state census.
What might be more helpful in narrowing down where your John (Jan) Dziuba came from is his mother's surname. You've written it as Municza. I am trying to pin down a better Polish spelling for that. May I ask what your source is for this name? Like, is it something that your family has always known (and maybe you have a handwritten document with it?) or is it something you found online? I think that her name will be more rare than Dziuba, and that can be very helpful in finding a hometown in Poland.
Best regards,
Sophia
Erin Dziuba

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:16 am      Post subject: Re: Help me discover my roots - Dziuba

Thank you for your help. I could find no verifiable documentation that list Jan's parents. Municza was given to me by an 'uncle' I met on a trip to Florida. He is a Catholic Priest and really my 2nd cousin 1x removed according to Ancestry.com. Some of his information I was able to verify with census but not that last name. Since Jan married in New York I couldn't locate any parish documents from Austria.

Sophia wrote:
Erin Dziuba wrote:
Hello,

Rosalia Dziuba 15
Helen Dziuba 13
Joseph Dziuba 11

Martha Dziuba 10
Stanley Dziuba 8
Janina Dziuba 5

Hi Erin,
The surname Dziuba is not that rare of a name. You can see how people with this name are currently distributed across Poland:
https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Dziuba and from that map you'll see that the greatest concentration of them is in the southeast, which corresponds with the "Austria" notation on the 1915 New York state census.
What might be more helpful in narrowing down where your John (Jan) Dziuba came from is his mother's surname. You've written it as Municza. I am trying to pin down a better Polish spelling for that. May I ask what your source is for this name? Like, is it something that your family has always known (and maybe you have a handwritten document with it?) or is it something you found online? I think that her name will be more rare than Dziuba, and that can be very helpful in finding a hometown in Poland.
Best regards,
Sophia
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:41 am      Post subject:

Hi Erin,

Question- how certain are you that the 1913 marriage record in Auburn is your John?

If you are certain the index is indeed your ancestor, then I suggest you contact Cayuga County records office and request a copy of the marriage license. The license will most likely provide you with the parents names and the return Marriage receipt will give you the name of the church where he was married. Here is the County web page:

https://www.cayugacounty.us/280/Marriage-Records

Then, contact the church In Auburn (or diocese) and request a copy of the church record. Often, the Polish Catholic Churches included village of birth In the record.

This is your best option to begin a document trail in the US before you leap to Poland.

Good luck in your search,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:48 am      Post subject: Re: Help me discover my roots - Dziuba

Erin Dziuba wrote:
Thank you for your help. I could find no verifiable documentation that list Jan's parents. Municza was given to me by an 'uncle' I met on a trip to Florida. He is a Catholic Priest and really my 2nd cousin 1x removed according to Ancestry.com. Some of his information I was able to verify with census but not that last name. Since Jan married in New York I couldn't locate any parish documents from Austria.

Hi Erin,
I know what you mean, "uncle" is so much easier to say than "second cousin, once removed!" It is great to have distant relatives who have information on the family. Sometimes what they have is accurate, sometimes there are little errors, but it all helps.
If your goal is to get parish documents of your ancestors in what was the Austrian Partition of Poland, then the key is to know the town they lived in; that will lead you to the correct church. Usually, the approach of finding a town name on a ship manifest is the easiest, but if you aren't sure you have the right manifest, then you need to find an alternative approach. My hope is that deciphering "Municza" might get you there. I see from FamilySearch.org the index of Jan's marriage, but no actual image of the record. I would encourage you to try to get a copy of either the marriage license (or better yet, the application) from the city, or the marriage record from the church. If you can get an image of such a handwritten record, I'd be happy to see if I read Municza differently. Have you got a WWI Draft Registration record for Jan? Sometimes those have a specific place of birth (or not, because different forms were used in different years).
Best regards,

P.S. I see that as I was typing this, Cynthia posted. One step ahead of me!
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:55 am      Post subject:

Hi Erin and Sophia,

To confuse things a bit more, when I searched in Family Search for his marriage record, I found 5 different entries for the same couple in Auburn NY. There are multiple date events All 1913: Oct 23, Nov 4, Nov 17.
In 2 records, his surname is Dziuba; the other 3 are Dzinba. In all but one record, his mothers name is Municza - one record shows her name as Wunicza.

These are all indexed records with no images, so some of this can be transcription errors.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:16 am      Post subject:

Erin,

Here is an obituary image for John in case you don’t have it....

Cynthia

2929D0FC-E1A9-4885-8D32-A1164CA3AE16.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.13 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

2929D0FC-E1A9-4885-8D32-A1164CA3AE16.jpeg

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Page 1 of 4

Jump to: