PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:28 am      Post subject: Polish roots in Belarus

I am trying to confirm my father's birthplace and family.
He was Bazyli Durejko born in Korolewce, Wilno Voivodeship.
Can anyone help me please?
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:45 am      Post subject: Re: Polish roots in Belarus

MtK wrote:
I am trying to confirm my father's birthplace and family.
He was Bazyli Durejko born in Korolewce, Wilno Voivodeship.
Can anyone help me please?

Hi,

http://www.kami.net.pl/kresy/

Enter "Korolewce", then search.

3 lines, all in Wilno area, in today Lithuania.

Found places
Place Gmina County Voivodeship
village Korolewce Wojstom wilejski wileńskie
village Korolewce I Jazno dziśnieński wileńskie
village Korolewce II Jazno dziśnieński wileńskie

When you click on the name, it shows the old map with it. You can zoom (in and out) and situate it.

Best,
Elzbieta
MtK

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:52 am      Post subject:

A nice map, thank you. It shows a small village but in Belarus now. I think the Polish inhabitants were dispersed westwards so I do not know how I may find about my father there.
BobK
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 231

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:16 pm      Post subject:

shorky09 wrote:
Hi, unfortunately in Belarus, you have to deal with the Belarus archives to get any information......

Several years ago I wrote to the Belarus archieve looking to learn more of my mother's roots. The archive answered a few weeks
later with a 'miniature' envelope (~2.5" x 3") and a 4" x 6" tissue paper invoice. After getting it translated, it appears that all
I had to do was send $300 U.S. to some unknown name at an address unrelated to even the town where the archive existed.

My first impression was also "Communist" bureaucracy, then "we found a rich American!!" ... "Give me money first" ..
What added to the insult, there was NOTHING related to what I'd described.. Nothing about what they would do, Nothing but
the "Send $300" in invoice form.

Later I was told by others that Belarus is very difficult to work with. I still hope someday to untangle the family that mom's mother
left behind.

Details:
Jakuc family from Nieciecz/Nieciecza, 9km east of Belarus. Rosalia Jakuc married Osip(Joseph) Niewiera in Lida (now Belarus) where
my mother, Mary(Maria) Niewiera, was born.
The unknown Jakuc's found in US Census & etc, came from two villages and there were 4 families that Emigrated and settled in the
same street in Brooklyn NYC.. So I am sure that there were relatives that I'd never learned enough about.

Bob K.
Send e-mail
ewasiwecka

Replies: 19

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:23 pm      Post subject: Research in Belarus

I also had to do some research in Belarus. Family Search have microfilmed and digitalised records from Belarus but these are not indexed so, it is a matter of trawling through books. If you send them an email, if they have the link they will send it to you. They are very helpful. Their ethos is that families live on after death. Also their Family Centres enable you to go through to other genealogical web sites free of charge. You might be lucky enough to find the answers in Polish.
BobK
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:01 pm      Post subject: Re: Research in Belarus

ewasiwecka wrote:
I also had to do some research in Belarus. Family Search have microfilmed and digitalised records from Belarus but these are not indexed so, it is a matter of trawling through books. If you send them an email, if they have the link they will send it to you. They are very helpful. Their ethos is that families live on after death. Also their Family Centres enable you to go through to other genealogical web sites free of charge. You might be lucky enough to find the answers in Polish.

Who'd you write to? Email or snail mail address?

Thanks
Send e-mail
ewasiwecka

Replies: 19

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:09 pm      Post subject: Researching Belarus

https://familysearch.org This is the web site. You will need to register with them but, that is free and then you will be able to contact them via the Get Help drop down box on the right hand side at the top of the page. Nearly all the research I do is through their page at home or by going to their Family History Centres to access images from other genealogical sites. Good luck.
BobK
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:46 pm      Post subject: Re: Researching Belarus

ewasiwecka wrote:
https://familysearch.org This is the web site. You will need to register with them but, that is free and then you will be able to contact them via the Get Help drop down box on the right hand side at the top of the page. Nearly all the research I do is through their page at home or by going to their Family History Centres to access images from other genealogical sites. Good luck.

I'm very familiar with Family Search, I wasn't aware of personalized assistance.
What path did you use to send the email, the "genealogy Assistance' or? What did you ask for?
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: