PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:48 am      Post subject: Deciphering places names - please attach scans/pictures!

One of the most common “brick walls”, and at the same time crucial issues in moving our research forward, deal with question about correct spelling of places of origins' name: “What is the correct town's name in the Old Country where my ancestors arrived from?”. You are finding the mystery names in passengers lists, naturalization documents, social security records and others.

The problem is not only the often illegible handwriting of unknown Polish words. It is also about Polish language grammar. Simple example regarding town Łuków (it may be about any other town or village name) and how it can be written down:

English: My last place of residence was Łuków, Moje ostatnie miejsce zamieszkania to Łuków,
BUT
English: I was born in Łuków, Polish: Urodziłem się Łukowie.
English: I come from Łuków, Polish: Pochodzę z Łukowa

We are here to help each other, also in locating these places and its correct, present-day names. If you expect any sensible hint you should attach along with your question scan or picture of the document (or preferable more than one document) where the place name is recorded.

Click here: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=373#373 to read simple instruction about attaching files into posts in our Forum.

The suggestion also applies to surnames and other words you would like to decipher with our community help.
Send e-mail
Sabina

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:24 pm      Post subject:

I am new to this site and not computer savvy so excuse my mistakes. I want to thank you so much for this information about Polish grammer and ending of words. This site and you wonderful people have already given me more information than I've found in many years. For one thing, I saw a message last night on here where someone was saying she saw on Ellis Island her family's last place of residence. That is what I saw on Ellis Island, too, several years ago. However, a person answered her saying he was going to look at the original ship's manifest and when he did he found that it said place of birth. I went on Ellis Island than and looked at the ship's manifest which I had ignored before because it was so faded in places. This time I figured it out and I saw that my grandmother and uncle are listed as BORN in Lukowi. It probably should say Lukowie and maybe it even does as the handwriting is a bit faded, but it definitely says place of birth - Lukowi. My grandmother and uncle only spoke Polish at the time so Lukowie must have sounded like Lukowi to the person who wrote the town down. So, thanks to you, this mystery is solved. Now I hope I can get my uncle's birth certificate scanned since I don't see anything on it that looks like Lukowi.
Dell

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:51 am      Post subject: Name of town (Slotopol???) on manifest

Manifest shows name of village as Slotopol, Russia, cannot find village with this spelling.
Passenger: Jan Wojcik, age 19
name of ship: SS Blunder Hamburg to New York
date: Oct. 1910
left in Poland: father Michal Wojcik, Slotopol
going to brother in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:31 pm      Post subject: Re: Name of town (Slotopol???) on manifest

Dell wrote:
Manifest shows name of village as Slotopol, Russia, cannot find village with this spelling.
Passenger: Jan Wojcik, age 19
name of ship: SS Blunder Hamburg to New York
date: Oct. 1910
left in Poland: father Michal Wojcik, Slotopol
going to brother in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

I read the same. Clear as crystal. And it is not misspelle (see image attached) He was going to his brother Adam. There is an Adam who was from Lelowice, but Adam's father was Marcin, not Michael. In adddition, I could not see anything similar to Slotopol around Lelowice.

Additional info: now I see it is a place near Kiev, according to one of those passengers listed below.
http://www.jewishgen.org/Ukraine/GEO_town.asp?id=174

Gilberto

Sem título.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.05 KB
 Viewed:  19656 Time(s)

Sem título.jpg

Send e-mail
Kaskiewicz

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:15 pm      Post subject: Stanislaus Kaskiewicz from Moste, Poland-Russia

I am looking for information on my husband's great-grandparents-Stanislaus Kaskiewicz born around 1859, Magdelina Matsu born around 1864, and their son Micheal Kaskiewicz born 13 March 1890. The emigrated to the US around 1900 or so. The only city name I have found on their US records is Moste. Once they came to the US, Stanislaus and Magdelina kept a very low profile.
Any help would be appreciated!
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:45 pm      Post subject: Re: Stanislaus Kaskiewicz from Moste, Poland-Russia

Kaskiewicz wrote:
I am looking for information on my husband's great-grandparents-Stanislaus Kaskiewicz born around 1859, Magdelina Matsu born around 1864, and their son Micheal Kaskiewicz born 13 March 1890. The emigrated to the US around 1900 or so. The only city name I have found on their US records is Moste. Once they came to the US, Stanislaus and Magdelina kept a very low profile.
Any help would be appreciated!

I have found Moste Grodnir in https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-8BRF-NGX?i=3379&cc=1968530
So, my bet is now Mosty near Grodno, in Belarus. The place is now called Masty. See the map route:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Grodno,+Bielorr%C3%BAssia/Masty,+Bielorr%C3%BAssia/@53.5705099,23.8933739,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x46dfd64beac55d1d:0xf013fd26569718c0!2m2!1d23.8131306!2d53.6693538!1m5!1m1!1s0x46dfa4f6fa612043:0xbb317134f8576eac!2m2!1d24.5339944!2d53.4100252!3e0

More: some Kaskiewicz in Mosty, Belarus in Geneteka:
http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=22br&rid=6575&search_lastname=kaskiewicz&search_name=&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=&exac=1
records on Family Search up to 1881 (do not cover the marriage or the birth)

Magdalena's maiden name likely Masiuk:
http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=22br&rid=6575&search_lastname=masiuk&search_name=&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=&exac=1

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Kaskiewicz

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:54 pm      Post subject: Kaskiewicz

Thank you so much for the wonderful (and speedy) reply to my plea for help! I am now on the road to finding out about my husband's Polish ancestors. I am aware that it will be a long but fun journey. I have been working on my Finnish and Dutch ancestry for two years and what an eye opener that has been!
Barbara Peerenboom
Bchs0079

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:49 am      Post subject: Finding Family

Hello,

I have photos of the burial sites of my great great grandparents, and old letters from my great grandmother's family members.
Can you kindly provide the translation, if you are able to do so.

Thank you in advance

file4-1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1015.32 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

file4-1.jpeg

file1-3.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  847.07 KB

file1-3.jpeg

file3-1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  751.09 KB

file3-1.jpeg

file2-1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  832.8 KB

file2-1.jpeg

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:28 pm      Post subject: Re: Finding Family

Bchs0079 wrote:
Hello,

I have photos of the burial sites of my great great grandparents, and old letters from my great grandmother's family members.
Can you kindly provide the translation, if you are able to do so.

Thank you in advance

grave inscription:

Here rests Bekesz Iwan, Stefan's son
1896-1946
Eternal memory

-----------------------

communication company index 285200
the sender's address

Ukraine
Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast
Bohun 42 street/100 (apartment number)
Zacharuk Dmytro Was.

-----------------------
grave inscriptions:

Here rests
Bekesz Catherine, Iwan's daughter
1902-1961
Eternal Memory

------------------------

communication company index 290010
the sender's address

city Lviv
Akademika Filatova Street (boulevard) 12, appartment number 10
Zacharuk Wasyl.

PAYPAL: [email protected]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: