PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Polish records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 364, 365, 366 ... 578, 579, 580  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:44 am      Post subject: Re: Stanislaus Pupel Death Record

szynkiewicz wrote:
St Stanislaus Kostka church, death record for Stanislaus Pupel. I cant read the names in the column, looks like Maryana and Maryanny? Probably means father as Marian and mother as Marianna. Just wondering if someone can tell me what it says to make sure. Thanks! He is the 2nd in the row under the 70 on the far left side. Named listed as Stanislaw Pupel. Couldnt upload full photo so I uploaded a bit of it. Here is a link to the full one if needed: http://prntscr.com/f94a3l

Hi again Szynkiewicz,
I agree with Gilberto about the parents' names. I want to add some info from looking at the full record. First, the pre-printed column heading "Date of Death and Burial" is, in this case, used in the reverse, so you see the date of burial followed by the date of death, so your Stanislaw Pupel died on June 16, 1888 and was buried on June 17. Look how many people were buried each day! It would be interesting to pull up Chicago newspapers from this time and see what was happening. You also have a column, pre-printed as "Disease" which was used here to record date of birth. Many of these deceased, then, were children, and so their full date of birth was known, as well as the maiden name of their mother. Your Stanislaw, dying at age 60, has only his year of birth and his mother's maiden name was not known by the person supplying the information, Frank Kirsztajn. One more little detail - - these records you have posted here on the Russian Translation thread are actually written in Polish.
Best,
Sophia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:49 pm      Post subject: Re: Stanislaus Pupel Death Record

Sophia wrote:
szynkiewicz wrote:
St Stanislaus Kostka church, death record for Stanislaus Pupel. I cant read the names in the column, looks like Maryana and Maryanny? Probably means father as Marian and mother as Marianna. Just wondering if someone can tell me what it says to make sure. Thanks! He is the 2nd in the row under the 70 on the far left side. Named listed as Stanislaw Pupel. Couldnt upload full photo so I uploaded a bit of it. Here is a link to the full one if needed: http://prntscr.com/f94a3l

Hi again Szynkiewicz,
I agree with Gilberto about the parents' names. I want to add some info from looking at the full record. First, the pre-printed column heading "Date of Death and Burial" is, in this case, used in the reverse, so you see the date of burial followed by the date of death, so your Stanislaw Pupel died on June 16, 1888 and was buried on June 17. Look how many people were buried each day! It would be interesting to pull up Chicago newspapers from this time and see what was happening. You also have a column, pre-printed as "Disease" which was used here to record date of birth. Many of these deceased, then, were children, and so their full date of birth was known, as well as the maiden name of their mother. Your Stanislaw, dying at age 60, has only his year of birth and his mother's maiden name was not known by the person supplying the information, Frank Kirsztajn. One more little detail - - these records you have posted here on the Russian Translation thread are actually written in Polish.
Best,
Sophia

Hi Gilberto, Sophia, & Szynkiewicz,

To follow up on the discussion of both Rozalia’s and Stanisław’s death records there are some things which are USA specific and Chicago specific which increase the understanding of the records.

To address Gilberto’s observation that the page headings do not always correspond to the data entered in the appropriate column…USA Cath. Church records were not kept in the same way as those in Poland. Here there was no civil mandated form since church records did not enjoy official civil status. Various for profit religious goods supply companies sold their own versions of parish registers so what the column headings called for were not the same in publications from competing companies. The C. Church instructed priests to keep records of deaths and burials but did not specify in detail what info was to be included. Parish priests were especially prone to adapting death registers to suit their own view of what should be included. The parish where I was raised on the Southeast Side of Chicago used the same register as St. Stanislaus was using. The early entries recorded the info called for in the column headings, but later entries were recorded using only either the right or the left page. Basically, one cannot depend on the headings to indicate what was entered in the various columns.

A Chi-town specific consideration revolves around maps and street addresses. When dealing with addresses prior to 1910 contemporary maps may or may not provide accurate results. In 1889 Chicago increased tremendously in size because of annexation (e.g. prior to 1889 the southern boundary of the city was 39th Street and after the annexation the southeastern city limits extended to 136th Street due to the annexation of Hyde Park Township). As a result of the annexation streets within the annexed communities sometimes had the same name as streets within pre-1889 Chicago. To bring some degree of order into the situation during the first decade of the 20th Century a large scale change of street names took place. Also, in 1909 a new street numbering system was instituted using the dividing point of the corner of State and Madison (In some places the lines from that starting were not physical but were extended lines). Thus the address of 49 Blackhawk does not correspond to any contemporary street address. An excellent resource for street name changes and street address changes which can convert old addresses to contemporary addresses can be found at http://www.alookatcook.com/

Historic maps of Chicago are more useful in identifying street names than contemporary maps. Two good online sources for historic maps are the David Rumsey Historical Map Collection and the map collection of the University of Chicago Library. A street Sophia identified which is not connected to Rozalia’s record does provide a good example of the value of old maps and the street name change resource. The street entered as “Blench” actually denotes a street named “Blanche” which is now known as LeMoyne Street.

As an aside…When the Kennedy Expressway (then known as the Northwest Expressway) was constructed in the late 1950s the original route was changed due to the activism of the Polish Community in Chicago so that St. Stan’s did not end up under the pavement of the road. The two attached pages are taken from the 1933 Poles in America: Their Contribution To a Century of Progress, a souvenir book from the 1933 Century of Progress fair in Chicago. Although the data is from a later period, the picture of the church building shows how the church appeared in the late 19th Century and how the entire parish complex appeared after 1909. The top of one tower is no longer found on the contemporary building. It was damaged in a lightning strike and was removed rather than rebuilt.

There was nothing about the number of deaths and burials recorded in St. Stanislaus Kostka parish on a given day or month or year during the late 1890s which would be worthy of note in newspapers of the time. St. Stan’s was the oldest Polish R.C. parish in Chicago and thus was a very large parish (over 2,000 families [not individuals] belonged to the parish. High mortality rates---especially high infant mortality rates---were just part of life in the big city. The Encyclopedia of Chicago states that each year during the early 1890s between 10,000 and 12,000 children under the age of 5 died on a yearly basis. Given the size of the parish along with the fact that mortality was higher in immigrant communities than in the population at large there is nothing remarkable about the yearly number of deaths in the parish.

A final note on the spelling of given names…The Polish names which are currently spelled in Polish as Marian (English: Marion) and Marianna were spelled as Maryan and Maryanna during the 19th Century (and into the 20th Century) both in Poland and in the Polish Diaspora. Perhaps Elżbieta or another forum contributor educated in Poland could nail down when exactly the spelling was changed. This is not an earthshaking point but it could influence how one chooses to enter such names of individuals living in more recent times.

Hope this info provides some food for thought.

Dave

St. S. Kostka 1933.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.14 MB
 Viewed:  9768 Time(s)

St. S. Kostka 1933.jpg

St. S. Kostka 1933 p2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1007.97 KB

St. S. Kostka 1933 p2.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:48 am      Post subject:

Hi Dave,
So that street name was Blanche! Thanks for the clarification. The Cook County resource for which you provided a link is excellent. I also appreciate your explanation of St. S. Kostka, as I had no idea what a large congregation that was. That certainly does put the number of deaths into perspective.

Szynkiewicz,
I looked at old newspapers and found two pieces relevant to Stanislaw Pupel. If he is a relative of yours, you now have an interesting avenue to continue exploring.
From the newspaper Daily Inter Ocean of Sunday, June 17, 1888: “Stanislaus Pupel, a Polish laborer, 50 years old, while employed unloading slabs from a vessel at Schoeneman’s docks, was struck on the head by a falling timber, and received injuries from which he died. The body was removed to his home at No. 65 Elston Avenue.”
From the Daily Inter Ocean of Tuesday, July 3, 1888, a notation of a suit in the Superior Court: “116,914 – Catharine Pupel, admx, vs Otto Scheonemann. Case, $5,000. Walker, Furthman & Judd, attys.”

To anyone who can answer: out of curiosity, when one's posts are moved from one thread to another as these were, are you notified of it?

Sophia
arielvfu

Replies: 60

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:27 am      Post subject:

can you please assist translating the following certificate

thanks!

32!!.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  728.04 KB

32!!.jpg

szynkiewicz

Replies: 34

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:47 pm      Post subject:

Thank you Sophia and Dnowicki and whoever else has helped me. I did see about the way Stanislaus died, but not about the case with "Catharine Pupel" interesting.. This has made me very excited! He is a relative of mine, he's my 4th great grandafther, and Catherine Puppel (nee Zietkowska) was my 4th great grandmother!
szynkiewicz

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:26 pm      Post subject: Birth Record Translation Help

Can someone please translate this record for me? I am trying to find stuff on my third great grandmother Rozalia Gora, death record says she was from Gorny Slask (Upper Silesia). I looked Lodzkie province on Geneteka and found a Rozalia Gora born 1855. Death record says she was born sep 4 1854. Could be a match, birth dates are always off. Thanks in advance.

Rozalia1855.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.86 MB
 Viewed:  10685 Time(s)

Rozalia1855.PNG

szynkiewicz

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:03 am      Post subject:

And could someone also translate this for me? Thank you!

Death.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.45 MB

Death.PNG

crispm28
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 133

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:15 pm      Post subject: Ciania Jadwiga

Hello, Would appreciate a translation of the birth record for Jadwiga Ciania

Thank you very much.
Christine

Ciania Jadwiga b.1847.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  162.47 KB

Ciania Jadwiga b.1847.JPG

ksmets
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:20 pm      Post subject: Help with transcribing & translating 1867 Polish marriag

Hello

I could use a little help with this marriage record. So far I have:

8 October 1867.
Sponsus: house number 30. Paulus Gadek, f. Joannes et Maria Bozniak, catholic, 30 years old, single
Sponsa: Catharina Mikuta, f. Francisci et Maria Kozial, catholic, 20 years old, single
Testes: Josephus Kubik, agr. [and] Joannes Kozial, agr.

But I am not sure at all what is in the paragraph written below that. And/or who performed the wedding. I am assuming his name comes after the "benedisset" word.

Thanks for all the help!

Kristine

1867-10-08 20170509_155457.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  701.82 KB
 Viewed:  10686 Time(s)

1867-10-08 20170509_155457.jpg

Visit poster's website
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:25 am      Post subject: Re: Help with transcribing & translating 1867 Polish mar

ksmets wrote:
Hello

I could use a little help with this marriage record. So far I have:

8 October 1867.
Sponsus: house number 30. Paulus Gadek, f. Joannes et Maria Bozniak, catholic, 30 years old, single
Sponsa: Catharina Mikuta, f. Francisci et Maria Kozial, catholic, 20 years old, single
Testes: Josephus Kubik, agr. [and] Joannes Kozial, agr.

But I am not sure at all what is in the paragraph written below that. And/or who performed the wedding. I am assuming his name comes after the "benedisset" word.

Thanks for all the help!

Kristine

Hi Kristine,

The record is an example of the standard Latin-Polish hybrid marriage record from Galicia when the bride is underage/young. The majority of the record is in Latin except for the final statement wherein the father of the bride gives his permission for the wedding. Since the father of the bride certainly did not know Latin it was sensible to record his statement in Polish. The statement says that I give my permission to my underage daughter Katarzyna to enter into the bonds of marriage with Paweł Gądek and as testimony of this I sign in the presence of the witnesses. The statement concludes with the signature substitute (i.e. his mark) + Franciszek Mikuta/Mikuła, father of the underage (bride).
The other entry you asked about reads in Latin “Benedixit J. Wolski curat(us)” which is translated as “J. Wolski, the curate, blessed (the marriage)."

If you have any questions regarding the Latin entries please feel free to ask.

Wishing you successful research,

Dave
Fantom
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 172

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:50 am      Post subject: Re: Birth Record Translation Help

szynkiewicz wrote:
Can someone please translate this record for me? I am trying to find stuff on my third great grandmother Rozalia Gora, death record says she was from Gorny Slask (Upper Silesia). I looked Lodzkie province on Geneteka and found a Rozalia Gora born 1855. Death record says she was born sep 4 1854. Could be a match, birth dates are always off. Thanks in advance.

It came to pass on the twenty-eighth day of August in the year of one thousand eight hundred and fifty, at the hour of twelve at noon, in the Town of Wielun, the county town. Appeared personally Karol Gora, a shepherd, forty-two years of age, residing in Starce, companioned by witnesses Bogumil Szpalek, a shepherd, forty-one years of age, residing in Wola Rudlicka, and Wojciech Pijarka, a farmer, thirty-two years of age, residing in Starce, and presented to us a baby of the female sex, born on the sixteenth day of August of the current year, at the hour of seven in the morning, in Starce, declaring that she was born from him and his wife Rozalia nee Schubert, thirty-two years of age. The said baby had been given the name Rozalia during the holy baptism which had been held earlier that day and her godparents had been the first witness along with Zuzanna Szpalek, a married woman from Wola Rudnicka. The present certificate was read aloud to the appearer and the witnesses and but was not signed by them since they stated that they did not know how to write.
Fantom
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 172

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:46 am      Post subject:

szynkiewicz wrote:

Starce. It came to pass on the twenty-fourth day of May in the year of one thousand eight hundred and fifty-six, at the hour of twelve at noon, in the Village of Godynice. Appeared personally Karol Gorecki, a shepherd, the father of the deceased, sixty-eight years of age, and Szczepan Pawlak, a day-labourer, thirty-five years of age, both residing in the Village of Starce, and testified that Rozalia Gorecki, the daughter of the shepherds, three quarters old, born in the Village of Starce from the Goreckis, namely, from Karol and Rozalia nee Szubert, the shepherds, had deceased on the twenty-second day of the current month of the current year, at the hour of eleven at night, in the Village of Starce.
ksmets
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:56 am      Post subject: Thank you!

Thank you Dave. Your explanation and translation definitely helps!
Visit poster's website
Mountain Path

Replies: 17

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:58 pm      Post subject: Translation Request

Please find attached a copy of my grandmother's Baptismal record (Anna Pyclik)...it is in Latin from what I can tell. I think I have translated everything correctly but I would really welcome another translation from someone much more expert than I to make sure. Thank you so much to anyone who can help me with this.

Grandma (Pyclik) Scieszka Baptismal Record #1.jpg
 Description:
From Parish records....
 Filesize:  79.77 KB
 Viewed:  10687 Time(s)

Grandma (Pyclik) Scieszka Baptismal Record #1.jpg

szynkiewicz

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:40 am      Post subject:

Fantom wrote:
szynkiewicz wrote:

Starce. It came to pass on the twenty-fourth day of May in the year of one thousand eight hundred and fifty-six, at the hour of twelve at noon, in the Village of Godynice. Appeared personally Karol Gorecki, a shepherd, the father of the deceased, sixty-eight years of age, and Szczepan Pawlak, a day-labourer, thirty-five years of age, both residing in the Village of Starce, and testified that Rozalia Gorecki, the daughter of the shepherds, three quarters old, born in the Village of Starce from the Goreckis, namely, from Karol and Rozalia nee Szubert, the shepherds, had deceased on the twenty-second day of the current month of the current year, at the hour of eleven at night, in the Village of Starce.

Thank you so much! This helped a lot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 364, 365, 366 ... 578, 579, 580  Next Page 365 of 580

Jump to: