PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:04 pm      Post subject: Help to find my grandfather's origin place

I am hoping that someone can please help me find out where my great grandfather came from. On his naturalization papers it says Arontfili, Poland. His name is Francisek Chuderewicz, he arrived in America in about 1901. I have not been able to find him in Ellis Island and have located as much American documents as possible. Can someone please give me a clue where this may be? Thank you.

Jaime
[/img]

Frank Chuderewicz nauralization.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  917.43 KB
 Viewed:  15981 Time(s)

Frank Chuderewicz nauralization.jpg

BobK
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 231

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:27 pm      Post subject: Re: Help

Jmecoates wrote:
I have not been able to find him in Ellis Island ....

Ellis Island is not what you want to use for searching. Go to the Stephen Morse web site,
http://stevemorse.org/, click on the 'GOLD FORM (1892-1924)' and do your searching with
'wild cards'.
Many Ellis Island records were handwritten in cursive, that plus most people did not note if
the writer heard their name correctly - adding the writer's interpretation to the spelling.
If and when you find potential records, you will be transferred to the actual Ellis Island site
where you can determine if that handwritten name is more likely the one you seek, rather
than what Ellis Island has it recorded as.

In my own case, after years of fruitless search, my grandfathers name of Gustav was recorded
as Gustavx and his last name, Krampitz, was recorded as Krampik. A search for "Gus* Kram*"
eventually found it using the Morse web site.
Later, by searching for any name that came from his village, I found his siblings, as well as other
related information. http://stevemorse.org/

Bob [/b]
Send e-mail
Cheri Vanden Berg
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:57 am      Post subject:

Jaime,
If you know any of your great grandfather's siblings names, you could also search for their records to find their place of birth.

I imagine you've seen your great grandparents marriage record from an index. It looks like Chuderewicz may be spelled Kuderewicz or Huderewicz there. Have you seen the record in the church book where they married? That might be worth tracking down. The church gathered the information where the bride and groom were baptised, and it could be written in the marriage record, or, I've been told, in a book of wedding banns.

Best of luck,
Cheri

Chuderewicz.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.89 KB
 Viewed:  15981 Time(s)

Chuderewicz.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:33 am      Post subject: Re: Help

Jmecoates wrote:
I am hoping that someone can please help me find out where my great grandfather came from. On his naturalization papers it says Arontfili, Poland. His name is Francisek Chuderewicz, he arrived in America in about 1901. I have not been able to find him in Ellis Island and have located as much American documents as possible. Can someone please give me a clue where this may be? Thank you.

Jaime
[/img]

Jaime,

Obviously there is no such place as Arontfili in Poland and there is no telling what was meant by that name. On US documents place names often appear in whatever form the person entering the info thought that they heard. (When my paternal grandmother arrived with my father and my aunt to join her husband their last place of residence was listed as "Imojewo". They had actually been living with her father in Niemojewo for the year since my grandfather had been in Chicago. Without knowing the geography of the area where they had been living how could one guess that Imojewo was actually Niemojewo?

Cheri's suggestion about the church record is an excellent research strategy. Although few banns books were kept as permanent records, the place of birth/baptism was ordinarily recorded in the permanent marriage register. According to Kruszka's Historia... there were three RC parishes in Pittsburg in 1901---St. Stanislaus, St. Adalbert, and Immaculate Heart of Mary. The first two are now closed but Immaculate Heart of Mary is still open. Even better, Kruszka lists the priest (Retko) as serving at Immaculate Heart of Mary. It would probably be worthwhile to contact the parish. However, ask for a copy of the actual entry in the register (or at least a transcript of all the info) rather than a simple certificate. Attached is the contact information for the parish.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Capture.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.3 KB
 Viewed:  15982 Time(s)

Capture.JPG

Magroski49

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:55 am      Post subject: Re: Help to find my grandfather's origin place

Jmecoates wrote:

Jaime
[/img]

For what I see, Chuderewicz is a valid polish surname. However, I would add that CH and H sound the same in polish, ,so it could also be Huderewicz. I was no lucky in finding his entry in Ellis Island, no matter how many spellings I have tried. Maybe the information on his Nat Papers is not exact.

I have also found some Chuderewicz born around 1880, in kujawsko-pomorskie province. Their places are close to each other: Radomi and Trąbin. Just north of Radoming there is a small village named Rętwiny. As this sounds as Rentfini, it is the closest match I can think of as being your Arontfili.
Rętwiny
woj. kujawsko-pomorskie
pow. golubsko-dobrzyński
gmina Radomin
271 osób
kod: 87-404

I see, in his death record, that his father was Jozef. Was his mother Jadwiga

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Jmecoates

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:41 pm      Post subject: Thank You

Thank you for all the help! I have been trying to contact the church and I am still waiting for a return call.

Gilberto- you are correct when you say the pronunciation is different than the spelling. They pronounced it as Hoo-der-a-vic. Can you tell me where you found that death record? I have his father as Joseph on his death certificate, on SS death index father is Joseph and mother is Katie. Thank you

Jaime
Magroski49

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:18 pm      Post subject: Re: Thank You

Jmecoates wrote:
Thank you for all the help! I have been trying to contact the church and I am still waiting for a return call.

Gilberto- you are correct when you say the pronunciation is different than the spelling. They pronounced it as Hoo-der-a-vic. Can you tell me where you found that death record? I have his father as Joseph on his death certificate, on SS death index father is Joseph and mother is Katie. Thank you

Jaime

In Family Search.org Ohio deaths.

record-image_33SQ-GP2P-JR3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  784.17 KB
 Viewed:  15987 Time(s)

record-image_33SQ-GP2P-JR3.jpg

Send e-mail
Jmecoates

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:30 pm      Post subject: In Family Search.org Ohio deaths.

Thank you, I do not know his mothers name. SS death records lists it as Katie.

name Frank Chuclezewig
SSN 294012119
Gender Male
Race White
Birth Date 12 Mar 1883
Birth Place Poland
Type of Claim Original SSN.
Notes May 1937: Name listed as FRANK CHUCLEZEWIG
Household Members
Name Age
Joe Chuclezewig
Katie
Frank Chuclezewig
mcdonald0517

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:41 pm      Post subject:

I have done genealogy research in Pittsburgh for my family and found the diocese of Pittsburgh to be very helpful and responsive to genealogy requests. The diocese holds the sacramental records for all of the churches within the diocese, so no need to go to the individual church. Here is the link to their genealogy request page:

http://diopitt.org/department-chancellor/office-archives-and-record-center

As an aside, St. Stanislaus Kostka church on 21st Street and Smallman Street in Pittsburgh is a national historical building and is still an active parish, although it is now combined with St. Patrick's Parish:

http://diopitt.org/parishes/saint-patrick-saint-stanislaus-kostka

Another aside: One of my grandparents married at St. Adelbert's, was buried at Holy family, both of which are no longer active, but the diocese was able to provide me with the records I needed.

I hope this helps. Good luck on your search.

Cynthia
Send e-mail
strzelinski

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:27 pm      Post subject: 1940 US census

familysearch.org

Assume a few children live in the area ?
Frank Chuderewicz
Head
United States Census, 1940
birth: 1882 Poland
residence: 1940 Ward 4, Cleveland City, Cleveland City, Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States
spouse: Anna Chuderewicz//
children: Louise Chuderewicz, Edward Chuderewicz, Agnes Chuderewicz, Lawrence Chuderewicz
other: Jean Chuderewicz, Roger Chuderewicz
Frank Chuderewicz
Ohio, County Naturalization Records, 1800-1977
birth: 1882 Poland
naturalization: 1941 Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States
Household
Role
Sex
Frank Chuderewicz Head M 58 Poland
Anna Chuderewicz Wife F 57 Poland
Louise Chuderewicz Daughter F 18 Ohio
Edward Chuderewicz Son M 15 Ohio
Agnes Chuderewicz Daughter F 13 Ohio
Lawrence Chuderewicz Son M 20 Pennsylvania
Jean Chuderewicz Daughter-in-law F 20 Pennsylvania
Roger Chuderewicz Grandson M 0 Ohio
Citing this Record
"United States Census, 1940," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KW5M-PVT : accessed 7 October 2017), Anna Chuderewicz in household of Frank Chuderewicz, Ward 4, Cleveland City, Cleveland City, Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 92-91, sheet 61B, line 69, family 190, Sixteenth Census of the United States, 1940, NARA digital publication T627. Records of the Bureau of the Census, 1790 - 2007, RG 29. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 2012, roll 3206.

View the original document. The original may contain more information than was indexed.
United States Census, 1940
District 92-91
Family Number 190
Sheet Number and Letter 61B
Line Number 69
Affiliate Publication Number T627
Affiliate Film Number 3206
Digital Folder Number 005460735
Image Number 00144
Send e-mail
JDombrowski89

Replies: 40

Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:26 pm      Post subject:

It may be worth it to also see if he filed a declaration of intent when he resided in Pittsburgh. If he did the forms could possibly list his place of birth.

You can contact the Allegheny County Courthouse as some counties (like here in Erie County) kept a bit of the paperwork in their possession.

To my knowledge if a Declaration was not acted upon in ten years the immigrant needed to fill out another declaration. This happened to my Great Great Grandfather as he resided in Erie, Pennsylvania when he initially filed around 1915. I found a second declaration (by mistake) that was registered in Detroit in 1928, which is where I'm told he finalized his paperwork to become a citizen.

One of your options is to request searches through the Department of Immigration through their Genealogy Department. Sometimes they have a collection of documents relating to that specific immigrant. Sometimes it can be a lengthy process, but worth it.

Justin
Send e-mail
sheep17

Replies: 123

Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:40 pm      Post subject: chuderewicz

I don't know that there is a connection - it's quite a way back - but I have a gggg grandmother - Tekla Chuderewicz. b. 1786 from Trabin, Rypin, Plock. Tekla was one of 8 children, and her brothers were Jan, Tomasz, Antoni, Franciszek and Piotr, her sisters Elzbieta and Rozalia. Possibility?
sheep17
Jmecoates

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:13 am      Post subject: Re: chuderewicz

sheep17 wrote:
I don't know that there is a connection - it's quite a way back - but I have a gggg grandmother - Tekla Chuderewicz. b. 1786 from Trabin, Rypin, Plock. Tekla was one of 8 children, and her brothers were Jan, Tomasz, Antoni, Franciszek and Piotr, her sisters Elzbieta and Rozalia. Possibility?
sheep17

It is possible....I am finding out that the Chuderewicz family is all connected in one way or another. I will try searching from your gggg grandmother forward to see if I can make a connection that way. Thank you for the info!

Jaime
GHuddy42

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:49 pm      Post subject:

Hello,
My name is George Huderwitz. I live in New Jersey and I have recently found out that somewhere down the line by possibly my GG Grandfather or G Grandfather that my last name was changed to “Huderwitz” from “Chuderewicz” upon or after arrival in the states. I have just started to do some digging and based on your posts that I’ve found here and read through that we may all be linked in some way, shape or form. I’d like to talk and find out what you have discovered. Thank you.

George Huderwitz
Jmecoates

Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:09 pm      Post subject: Chuderewicz

George,
Honestly, my grandfather pronounced his last name Huderewicz! He never said the "C" sound! Anything I can help you with I will be glad to give you. Who is your G Grandfather? When did he arrive?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: