PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:11 pm      Post subject: Re: Antoni Dudzinski Birthyear

JGwizdowski wrote:
As best I can establish, Antoni Dudzinski (or was it Dudczak?) was born in 1875

He married in 1902, record nr. 2, in Boniewo, to Katarzyna Murawski.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:18 pm      Post subject:

JGwizdowski wrote:
Dave...I had to follow up and thank you again for the link you provided a couple of weeks ago.

While I have not had any luck so far with my original target "Budzinski," I made some remarkable strides on my Koscinski line, finding several birth records for my grandmother's siblings. It's taken me 20 years to get to this point! If only the internet and online availability of scanned records had been available back then!! Smile

One question I have in using https://genealogiawarchiwach.pl/ search techniques...
When I searched for "koscinski" I was returned 3 hits which, I believe so far, are another branch of Koscinski's.

However, when I searched for "Kościński" using the Polish characters, I was returned with 115 hits!

This got me thinking: what am I missing when searching other ancestors names by using the Americanized spelling? I wouldn't even know what to use for, say Budzinski, or Gwizdowski, etc.

Any additional insight into the naming conventions used in these searches are GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks Again!
Joe Gwizdowski

Joe,

Looks like you’ve made great progress with Gilberto’s help. To address your earlier question regarding diacritical marks in Polish surnames---Diacritics are important and make a difference. Polish uses the Roman alphabet with additions/modifications to symbolize Polish sounds. Letters with diacritical marks are distinct letters when compared to the same letter without the diacritical mark. It is true that adding diacritical marks can change the results you get from a search. You asked about Budzinski. If you were to add the diacritical mark the name would appear as Budziński and it is not pronounced the same way as Budzinski. Just to add another variable the surname Budziński also is found in Poland as Budzyński. Although it is true that each letter in the Polish alphabet has its own pronunciation which does not change like some letters do in English (“c” for example in English can be either hard or soft like in cat vs. cease), the way a person enunciates can change the way the listener writes the word. As a general rule, surnames ending in the letters “nski” usually employ the diacritic over the “n” which changes it to “ń” and the sound of the two letters is not the same.
I suppose that the bottom line is that it would never hurt to search with both letters as well as variants like Budzyński.

Although it is true, as Gilberto wrote, that the English version of Wawrzyniec is Lawrence (variant spelling: Laurence), some Poles after immigrating to the USA chose to use English given names which sometimes had nothing in common with their actual Polish given name. A good example is Wojciech, which properly means Adalbert. For some reason unknown to me many Polish men named Wojciech called themselves George in English. There actually is a Polish version of George---Jerzy. So why did Wojciech become George? Again, it pays to consider variations---even variations with no apparent rhyme or reason.

I’m posting a list of Latin given names with the Polish and the English meanings of those names. Although I prepared the list specifically as a resource for those who are using Latin records, you may find it of some use for the Polish given names you encounter in your research.

Wishing you continued success in your research,

Dave

GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Filesize:  66.08 KB
 Downloaded:  472 Time(s)

Magroski49

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:37 am      Post subject: Re: Antoni Dudzinski Birthyear

Magroski49 wrote:
JGwizdowski wrote:
As best I can establish, Antoni Dudzinski (or was it Dudczak?) was born in 1875

He married in 1902, record nr. 2, in Boniewo, to Katarzyna Murawski.

Gilberto

Antoni was surely born somewhere in the area shown on the map attached. Klobia, where Ewa was born; Zglowiaczka, where she and Wawrzyniec got married; Sawilno; where Wincenty was born; Boniewo, where Antoni got married and Otmianowo where he last resided before departuring to the USA. I would consider he went by two given names.

Gilberto

Sem título.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  239.03 KB
 Viewed:  4537 Time(s)

Sem título.jpg

Send e-mail
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:31 pm      Post subject:

I feel like what Watson was to Sherlock! I have so much to learn and still don't understand how you've found all these records.

Otmianowo is also listed on Antoni Dudzinski's immigration passenger list. A new twist is that he said he was with his father, Jozef, in Otmianowo.

Dave, your list of given name showing the Latin/English/Polish equivalents will be of great help. And Gilberto, your map is a great idea and helps to visually show these relationships and how they moved about and came together.

I was up last night, bleary eyed from trying to pick out information from the records you've identified for me. As I closed up shop, I thought I had sent you a message, Gilberto but, in looking at my sent box I don't see any evidence that it was sent out...did you get anything from me? In my haste, perhaps I hit delete rather than send, in which case I'll have to write again.

Again.. I cannot thank you all enough for your help and patience with me!
Best,
Joe Gwizdowski

Magroski49

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:49 pm      Post subject:

JGwizdowski wrote:
I feel like what Watson was to Sherlock! I have so much to learn and still don't understand how you've found all these records.

Otmianowo is also listed on Antoni Dudzinski's immigration passenger list. A new twist is that he said he was with his father, Jozef, in Otmianowo.

Dave, your list of given name showing the Latin/English/Polish equivalents will be of great help. And Gilberto, your map is a great idea and helps to visually show these relationships and how they moved about and came together.

I was up last night, bleary eyed from trying to pick out information from the records you've identified for me. As I closed up shop, I thought I had sent you a message, Gilberto but, in looking at my sent box I don't see any evidence that it was sent out...did you get anything from me? In my haste, perhaps I hit delete rather than send, in which case I'll have to write again.

Again.. I cannot thank you all enough for your help and patience with me!
Best,
Joe Gwizdowski

Watson, no messages in.

Holmes
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: