PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:24 am      Post subject: Place names in Polish Austria

I am hoping someone might be able to decipher the town names on the attached 1910 arrival list. The first, obviously, is Gwizdow. I am really having trouble with the next two on the list.

The second town name refers to g.uncle Jan Gwizdowski's wife, Marya nee Stecker, whom I believe he married in about 1906 or 1907.

The third town name refers to their daughter Anna, born about 1907 or 1908.

Thank you!
Joe

Jan Gwizdowski 1910 Places of Birth.jpg
 Description:
Jan Gwizdowski 1910 passenger listing with wife Marya Stecker and daughter Anna
 Filesize:  22.29 KB
 Viewed:  3844 Time(s)

Jan Gwizdowski 1910 Places of Birth.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:58 am      Post subject: Re: Place names in Polish Austria

JGwizdowski wrote:
I am hoping someone might be able to decipher the town names on the attached 1910 arrival list. The first, obviously, is Gwizdow. I am really having trouble with the next two on the list.

The second town name refers to g.uncle Jan Gwizdowski's wife, Marya nee Stecker, whom I believe he married in about 1906 or 1907.

Thank you!
Joe

Joe,

The second place is Mikolajow (Mikolajów). The third begins with the letters Musi... I'm not sure of the remaining letters. Perhaps someone else will have a better handle on the handwriting.

Dave
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:05 am      Post subject: Re: Place names in Polish Austria

JGwizdowski wrote:

Thank you!
Joe

Misspelled. If it was in "Austria'" then it is Muszyna. I agree with David it is Mikolajów (there were four in what was then Galicia).

Gilberto
Send e-mail
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:51 pm      Post subject:

As always...MANY thanks for your input and knowledge! Now I am off to chase records!
Joe

JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:28 pm      Post subject:

Here's a scenario worthy of a Holmesian deduction...

Young Jan, born Joannes Bzdziuch, boards a ship to America in 1901 under the name Jan Gwizdowski. He returns to Poland before 1908, marries Marya Stecker, has a daughter, then returns to America in 1910 with his wife and daughter, all under the surname of Gwizdowski.

He claims that he was last with his father, Antoni Gwizdowski, in the town of Gwizdow, on the New York Passenger listing.

The uncertainty: his father is really Antoni Bzdziuch. Would Jan's marriage be recorded under the Gwizdowski name, or under the Bzdziuch name?

What is the most likely scenario? Maybe I already know the answer and I have to search those years preceding daughter Anna's 1908 birth looking for all scenarios.

I guess I just need someone to speak softly and tell me everything is going to be alright <GRIN>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: