PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:54 am      Post subject: trying to find my relatives

I am looking for information about my gradmother and grandfather who cam to America from Poland. My gradfather name we found on the ship manifest is Piotr Manyna or Manjna can't read it and it said from Chopley Austria but we believe another town. I can remember but Chie something. He was born around 1885 or 1886. My grandmother came I believe at the age of 15 at we are unsure of her last name. Her first name is Agnes and we believe Berger or Bierge. She came from Ziancia. If anyone has suggestions or information please let me know.
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:00 pm      Post subject: Re: trying to find my relatives

hoguej wrote:
I am looking for information about my gradmother and grandfather who cam to America from Poland. My gradfather name we found on the ship manifest is Piotr Manyna or Manjna can't read it and it said from Chopley Austria but we believe another town. I can remember but Chie something. He was born around 1885 or 1886. My grandmother came I believe at the age of 15 at we are unsure of her last name. Her first name is Agnes and we believe Berger or Bierge. She came from Ziancia. If anyone has suggestions or information please let me know.

I would suggest gathering every shred of documentation you can find on your grandparents lives here in America. That would include Census records, birth records of children, WWI draft registration records, Naturalization Petition and Oath records. Collectively each little piece of information will give you some new clues to build a picture of their lives.

I just ran a cursory search and on Piotr Manya/Manja and don't come up with anything here in the U.S., so I'm guessing they assumed a different name?

It's a long slow process, but it can be done.

If you can, post a scan of their passenger listing from the manifest, along with the date of arrival and ship's name.

Joe

JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:21 pm      Post subject:

Do any of these look like a possible match?

PiotrManja.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  148.05 KB
 Viewed:  3682 Time(s)

PiotrManja.jpg

hoguej

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:35 pm      Post subject: researh

I have his arrival into America and have all of the information that I can obtain from America. It is crossing the waters to find out who his parents were and keep on going back into Poland that I have having a problem. Thank you for your help
Tina Ellis

Replies: 74

Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:55 pm      Post subject:

Do any of the records say where he lived in Poland? Without knowing that, you are lost.

First things first ... How sure are you about the spelling of his surname. Neither of them were used in 1990 in the surname study that was published that year in Poland. This survey was done by Professor Kazimierz Rymut and his students at the Polish Language Institute of Krakow compiled this list and another one in 2002, with the latter being more accurate. The numbers didn't seem to have been double checked. The 1990 version is still excellent because they also put in surnames not being used in Poland anymore.

I checked the 1990 version and found the names have you listed are not in the database. The closest I can find are two different ones: Majna and Manja.

If you can tell us what records you have found giving pertinent information on them, we would have to re-do the search you have done. Please give spellings as you have found names, places and dates. If you give us this, hopefully we can give you some more ideas on how to proceed in your search.

Tina Ellis
[email protected]
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: