PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 354

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:47 pm      Post subject: Help making out names in record - Michalkiewicz?

Hello all,

I recently received some copies of baptism records taken from St. Joseph church in Occum, CT two of them I understand well enough one is my grandfathers younger brother Christopher Joseph Michalkiewicz, the 3rd is George Leonard Michslkiewicz (the illegitimate son of my grandfathers older sister, Jozefa).

The record that I am having a hard time making out is the first one. This matches a record from the civil records for a Bromak Micalcoge (obviously a terrible misspelling) I think it is likely the birth record of Bronislaw Michalkiewicz who was born in Versailles, CT in October of 1910.
Bronislaw would have the same parents as Christopher: Joseph Michalkiewicz and Weronika Szymkiewicz.

Does anyone think this first record is him? Or can you make out the handwriting?

Thanks again,

Hugh

Michalkiewicz baptism records from St. Joseph church Versailles-Occum, CT.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  324.09 KB
 Viewed:  6976 Time(s)

Michalkiewicz baptism records from St. Joseph church Versailles-Occum, CT.jpg

Last edited by ossnhughie on Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:00 am      Post subject:

The FB group is closed which means that only members can see the posts. The link you provided doesn't work unless you are a member of the FB group.
Send e-mail
ossnhughie

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:04 am      Post subject:

I see, darn I didn't realize that. I have added the picture to the actual post, as I said it is the record at the top of the image that I am trying to decipher.

Hugh

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:26 pm      Post subject:

My eyes see the following:

Michalkiewich
Oct 23
Baptism of Brownislaw born 17 Oct, (illegible words) to Jozef Michalkiewich and Veronica Stefankiewich. (Two Illegible words at start of sentence) Francis Lad?lan and Sofia Stefankiewich.
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2780

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:10 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
My eyes see the following:

Michalkiewich
Oct 23
Baptism of Brownislaw born 17 Oct, (illegible words) to Jozef Michalkiewich and Veronica Stefankiewich. (Two Illegible words at start of sentence) Francis Lad?lan and Sofia Stefankiewich.

Hi Cynthia,

The two words in the first sentence are "ex matrimonio" = "from the marriage" and the two words in the second sentence are "sponsores fuerunt" = "the sponsors (aka godparents) were." The first sentence reads "I baptized Bronislaus (Polish: Bronislaw) born on the 17th day of October from the marriage of Joseph Michalkievich and Veronika Stefankievich. The sponsors were Francis Lad?lan and Sofia Stefankievich.

The priest spelled the surnames the way Croatians or Serbians would spell the names in the US so he was probably not Polish but of another Slavic heritage.

Dave

Dave
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:21 pm      Post subject:

Thanks so much, Dave. Always great to learn something new from you.
Send e-mail
ossnhughie

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:44 pm      Post subject:

Thanks to Dave and all who have looked at record #1.

The last name Stefankiewich doesn't fit with my great grandmothers maiden name which was spelled Szymkiewicz and later records, Sinkiewicz. It is intersting to note the street and town of birth coincides with an area I know my great-grandparents settled, the name of the mother as I said is off, however of note the godmother Zofia, would nicely coincide with my Weronika Szymkiewicz' younger sister Zofia born in 1887. So it seems like this might be an error in the name of the mother and godmother.

This was a town of about 2500 people at the time so it seems like it would be a pretty big coincidence that a Joseph Michalkiewicz married to a Weronika would have a child and it not being them. The last bit of evidence is a story my cousin heard from his father Rafal (born in 1906 the eldest child of Joseph and Weronika. My grandfather was born in 1921) that their was a sibling named Bennie (Americanization of Bronislaw?) who died very young when he tragically consumed lye.

Weronika has a brother named Bronislaw born in 1895 who went by Bennie as an American name.

Your thoughts, Dave?

Hugh

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: