PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:07 pm      Post subject: Please help confirm my interpretation

I believe I have most of the information but have enough doubt in my ability to interpret the writing that I would appreciate some help Smile

What I have is...
Birth 5/4
Baptism 6/4
Name: Sophia
Catholic/Female/Legitimate
(Unable to decipher the writing beneath this info)

Father: Antonius Dzdzuich (I was expecting this to be a "B" based on sibling records)
Son of Michal and Agnelus Lizak

Mother: Agnes
child of Laurnta Jucha and ? ?

The only thing I can really make out for Godparents is the last word "Zucha"

Any help in clarifying this is GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you!
Joe

SophiaBzdziuch_1885.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.98 KB
 Viewed:  3791 Time(s)

SophiaBzdziuch_1885.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:28 pm      Post subject: Re: Please help confirm my interpretation

JGwizdowski wrote:
I believe I have most of the information but have enough doubt in my ability to interpret the writing that I would appreciate some help Smile

What I have is...
Birth 5/4
Baptism 6/4

Father: Antonius Dzdzuich (I was expecting this to be a "B" based on sibling records)

Thank you!
Joe

Joe,

Zofia was born on April 5 and baptized on April 6. She was born in house #9. The writing below these entries states that the one who baptized her was the same priest as in previous entries above---very minor importance. The info you can't read in the following columns is also of little import---it states that the midwife was Agnieszka (illegible surname).
Antoni was a farmer, the son of Michał and Agnieszka nee Lizak.
The mother was Agnieszka, the daughter of Wawrzyniec Zucha and (can't make out the rest of the entry. For some reason I am not able to zoom in on the image as you posted it---strange since usually it is easy to zoom in on jpg images.)
The sponsors are Wawrzyniec Tekon (or Takon---same zooming difficulty), a farmer, and Katarzyna, the wife of Wojciech Zucha.

Hope this helps you.

Dave
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:48 pm      Post subject: Re: Please help confirm my interpretation

dnowicki wrote:
JGwizdowski wrote:

What I have is...
Birth 5/4
Baptism 6/4

Thank you!
Joe

Joe,

Zofia was born on April 5 and baptized on April 6. She was born in house #9. The writing below these entries states that the one who baptized her was the same priest as in previous entries above---very minor importance. The info you can't read in the following columns is also of little import---it states that the midwife was Agnieszka (illegible surname).
Antoni was a farmer, the son of Michał and Agnieszka nee Lizak.
The mother was Agnieszka, the daughter of Wawrzyniec Zucha and (can't make out the rest of the entry. For some reason I am not able to zoom in on the image as you posted it---strange since usually it is easy to zoom in on jpg images.)
The sponsors are Wawrzyniec Tekon (or Takon---same zooming difficulty), a farmer, and Katarzyna, the wife of Wojciech Zucha.

Hope this helps you.

Dave

Dave.. this helps VERY much! Unlike Russian records, I find the Latin records to be much less intimidating. Perhaps it was those two years of Latin in high school all those years ago!

Do you have a sense of the father's surname? Is that a "D"...or a "B"?

Thank you so much.. this is all GREAT!
Best,
Joe

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:58 am      Post subject: Re: Please help confirm my interpretation

JGwizdowski wrote:

Dave.. this helps VERY much! Unlike Russian records, I find the Latin records to be much less intimidating. Perhaps it was those two years of Latin in high school all those years ago!

Best,
Joe

Joe,

I really can't say whether the letter is D or B. There is nothing in the record with which to compare it. The first letter of Baptisavit in the first column is too hurried and unclear to use for purposes of comparison. If one were to use it, then the first letter of the surname only vaguely resembles it. Here is a sound tried and true methodology for trying to determine letters---compare the letter with a known letter in a word of which you are certain and look for similarities. The method I use when trying to determine doubtful letters in unfamiliar surnames or place names is to compare the letters with those of the Latin words in the text. Words which immediately come to mind beginning with B to use for purposes of comparison would be words like Baptizavit/Baptizavi or given names which definitely begin with upper case B like the Latin Barbara, Bronislava, Boleslaus, etc. Obviously, this means look at other entries on the page/pages written in the same hand---elementary handwriting analysis, My dear Watson.

Hope this suggestion helps your research.

Dave
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:23 am      Post subject: Re: Please help confirm my interpretation

dnowicki wrote:
JGwizdowski wrote:

Best,
Joe

Joe,

I really can't say whether the letter is D or B. There is nothing in the record with which to compare it. The first letter of Baptisavit in the first column is too hurried and unclear to use for purposes of comparison. If one were to use it, then the first letter of the surname only vaguely resembles it. Here is a sound tried and true methodology for trying to determine letters---compare the letter with a known letter in a word of which you are certain and look for similarities. The method I use when trying to determine doubtful letters in unfamiliar surnames or place names is to compare the letters with those of the Latin words in the text. Words which immediately come to mind beginning with B to use for purposes of comparison would be words like Baptizavit/Baptizavi or given names which definitely begin with upper case B like the Latin Barbara, Bronislava, Boleslaus, etc. Obviously, this means look at other entries on the page/pages written in the same hand---elementary handwriting analysis, My dear Watson.

Hope this suggestion helps your research.

Dave

I came to the same conclusion. Unless I see something concrete to the contrary, I'll chalk it up to the priest having too much wine while writing the entry.

There are quite a large number of of "Bździuch" in various indicies, (unlike zero number of listings for "Gwizdowski"...my grandfather's adopted name, which I spent 25 years researching! Smile I'm pretty confident that should have been a "B"

You, and everyone else on the Polish Origins board is always MOST helpful...couldn't do it without (all of) you "Holmes'"

Thank you!
Joe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: