PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:14 am      Post subject: 1853 Map of Gwizdow

My grandfather's birth record, as well as his siblings, indicates they lived in house #9 in Gwizdow.

The Polish Archives has a Galizien map from 1853 for the town but I am unclear as to the number designations. There are area footprints marked in hatched red lines, and then there are yellow footprints which I assume would be the house? Is that correct?

I've attached a portion of the map where I've outlined what I think might be indicated as house #9. If anyone is familiar with the land and house designations used on these old maps, your input would be greatly appreciated.

If I am correct in my deductions I'm thinking I should be able to overlay this on a satellite image of the area and peek in on the old ancestral home! Smile

Thank you for any assistance.
Best,
Joe

Gwizdow_House_no.9.jpg
 Description:
Portion of map for 1853 map of Gwizdow.
Original found here: http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/56/126/0/-/516/skan/full/hSeZeC8-TYbTYBA3GioEiA
 Filesize:  80.05 KB
 Viewed:  3460 Time(s)

Gwizdow_House_no.9.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:52 am      Post subject:

Hi Joe,
There is a whole series of these cadastral maps. While I have not yet found the key to the colors used here, other maps with which I am familiar use two different colors to differentiate between houses built of wood and houses built of stone/brick/masonry. Another possibility is colors used to differentiate a building that one lived in from barns and other outbuildings.
Take a look at this: http://www.geshergalicia.org/projects/cadastral-map-and-landowner-records/
I do think that if you look at a modern day map, you may see enough similar landmarks to be able to overlay this old map. Fun, isn't it?
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:09 pm      Post subject:

Some of the old roads are clearly seen in the Google satellite images, and I can make out the exact areal where my ancestral castle once rose up. Sadly, it is gone, so no inheritance for me.

But it is fun! I hope to get there in the next couple of years and it will be amazing to walk down the road where my ancestors lived!

Thanks for link.. VERY interesting and helpful!
Best,
Joe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: