PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 97

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:45 am      Post subject: Off we go to Poland

Well, we leave first thing in the morning to cross the Atlantic Ocean. I thought we were all prepared but alas one major mistake was made. I do not have an international driving permit. I just discovered today that I will need this! Upon my arrival the plan was to land in Warsaw, fly to Krakow and rent a car. We were then to drive to Adamówka (Przeworsk, Podkarpackie) to my second cousin's home where we will stay for a while. (This is the ancestral lands of my family and I will have my 70th birthday there Smile ). We were then going to drive up north to Wroclaw to another cousin's home. Now I do not know what to do! I have filled out the paperwork for the IDP but it will take at least a week to get it back. This journey will last three weeks. Any suggestions are welcome.
Send e-mail
Visit poster's website
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:00 am      Post subject:

Stasu,
Do not worry! Is there a AAA near you? Call them. They will give you an international driver's license on the spot, at least in my experience. Bring your current license with you, and they will take your picture and give you the IDP. If you are not a member of AAA it is alright, just a higher fee.
Sophia
P.S. Just took a look online at AAA for Oregon. Does not seem that they are open on Saturdays. Sorry!
singingfalls
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:02 pm      Post subject:

I looked and they are closed on the weekends. 0_0 I have the application filled out but it won't reach me in Poland for some time. What to do? What to do? I will submit my application and hope for the best and that I don't get busted in the mean time. Ouy Vey
Send e-mail
Visit poster's website
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:41 pm      Post subject:

Stasu,
All will be well.
Now, you need to formulate a Plan B, because the car rental company is not likely to give you your car without you having an international license AND your Oregon license both in hand.
Here is a possible option. Submit your application, and have it be returned to some trustworthy person (friend, family member?) who can then FedEx it to you at your cousin's address, since you plan on staying there for a while. Once you land in Krakow, get a train or bus to Rzeszow. From there, it is not terribly far to Przeworsk, and your cousin may be able to collect you there or they may know someone who can. Once your FedEx arrives, get a rental car in Rzeszow (best to change your car rental reservation now).
Some time today, google around for explanations of international road symbols. They are very, very different from what you are used to. Once you see the typical road signs and parking signs and all of that, you may feel that you have got yourself a blessing in disguise that you will be able to be in Poland for a week before you need to drive!
Just my opinion.
Wishing you the very best,
Sophia

Last edited by Sophia on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
singingfalls
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:20 pm      Post subject:

Thank you very much for this suggestion. I will do that.
Send e-mail
Visit poster's website
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:10 am      Post subject:

Stasu,

I think that Sophia's advice is very clever. From our experience in organizing hundreds of trips I would add that you can ride directly from Krakow to Przeworsk by train (very convenient option and it takes only about 2.5 hour direct ride to Przeworsk). You can check the timetable and buy tickets on this website: http://rozklad-pkp.pl/en .

Next, when you get your driving license via FedEx (or in any other way) you can rent a car either in Rzeszow or you can ask the rental to bring the car at your address in Przeworsk. Whatever works better for you.

Have a great time in Poland!
Send e-mail
singingfalls
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:30 pm      Post subject:

He.re we sit in Jerusalem and very pleased that we DIDN'T rent a car when we arrived at the airport. First, our landing was delayed for an hour because President Trump was landing at the same time. Our apartment is one block away from the helicopter landing site that he was being shuttled around on while he was here in Israel. There was a tank parked one hundred feet away from where we are staying! No need for an IDP here. My Oregon license will suffice,
On the Poland leg of the journey will be in good shape. I filled out my application and my dear friend who is house sitting the ranch will send it to my cousin in two days by fedex. Thanks you all for the great advise and encouragement, We should be near Wroclaw in a week. I can not wait to see these ancient lands of my people.

Send e-mail
Visit poster's website
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:37 am      Post subject:

Hi Stasu!
It is great to hear from you and to know that you have got your plans all set. I wish you the very best on your trip to meet your cousins in Poland. I know, from the way that you write on this forum, how much meaning it has for you to finally get to be in the land of your ancestors.
If, at any point, you run up against the unexpected, remember these words, "Wszystko będzie w porządku!" (Everything will be fine!). Smile
Best,
Sophia
singingfalls
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:48 am      Post subject:

Blessings to you all. Well, I'm back after two weeks in Poland. All went well. Very well. My advice to anyone contemplating going is-GO! I can not begin to enumerate all of the amazing experiences I had. It would take a book! Car rental went well. Our unplanned places to stay went well and the planned places to stay were filled with levels of hospitality that were overwhelming at times. We were not prepared to Eat Eat Eat all of the homemade foods grown right on the farms of my cousins.
I must tell you at least one incident that will explain the types of amazing experiences we had. My second cousin, Łukasz Kominko from Adamówka was our host for the first week. His mother is my paternal grandmother's brother's daughter. The Kominko family made us feel totally at home. On one occasion I was photographing tombstones in a cemetery known to have my maternal relatives in the area. Łukasz was not too familiar with the place in Luchów Górny. While there we met an elderly woman tending the flowers. We asked about the Wlaź family. She pointed us in a direction. As we drove down the road we saw a woman tending the garden around her house. By chance we stopped and asked about Wlaź. MIRACLE!!! She was the wife of Ryszard Wlaź. My grandfather's brother's grandson. I celebrated my 70th birthday on the property my grandfather and great grandfather were born! Ryszard was very much into genealogy and had a magnificent huge drawing of the Wlaź family tree. It was incomplete but my name and that of my sister were on it! So it went on many instances during the two weeks. When I consider I stayed only in the most Southern part of Poland and that I have relatives in Poznan and Gdansk I am drawn back. There is love in my heart for that place that is inexplicable.

Send e-mail
Visit poster's website
dgawell

Replies: 63

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:35 am      Post subject: glad to here

So happy your trip went well. Who did you rent your car through? Also, what airport/airlines did you use?
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:03 am      Post subject: Thank you for sharing Stan!

Very nice souvenirs. Driving in the Wild, trying unplanned places - I would love to do it in Poland. One day.
Best,
Elzbieta
jackieku

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:20 am      Post subject:

I'm about to visit Warsaw, in order to meet my business partner. I'm looking for a bar/club, that is elegant, calm, and have rich stock of whisky and wine (prices are not important). It would be nice, if there would be some good food. I hope you will guide me somehow! I heard about New Orleans in Warsaw - do u know it ?

Jump to: