PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:05 pm      Post subject: Koniowka near Carny Dunajec and Nowy Targ

If you or your ancestors are from Koniówka, please leave a comment on this thread.
It would be great if someone had some photos to share too Very Happy

Koniówka is a village in southern Poland, about 46 miles (74 km) south of Krakow near Czarny Dunajec, within Nowy Targ County, Malopolskie (Lesser Poland) Voivodeship. The village has about 380 residents.

Click here to hear how to pronounce Koniówka in Polish: http://say.expressivo.com/s1fRVZG1

See Koniówka on a map: http://www.maplandia.com/poland/malopolske/nowy-targ/koniowka/

Webpage about Koniówka - in Polish:
http://www.koniowka.info/
To see historical photos of Koniówka at the same site as above: http://www.koniowka.info/index-Dateien/koniowka_historia_001.htm

Click here to a link to an interesting blog THE DAILY GULA and read about the author's visit to his ancestral village Koniowka in 2009. His family names are Planiczka and Zubek :
http://thedailygula.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2009-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-05%3A00&updated-max=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-05%3A00&max-results=10

If your ancestors are from this village, be sure to add your information to the Places Database at: http://polishorigins.com/places

You can also add your family surnames to the Surname Database: http://polishorigins.com/surnames

Below is a list of surnames associated with the village Koniówka – most are from the Ellis Island website. Surnames are spelled as they appear on the Ellis Island site, no attempt has been made to correct them. Other surnames may have been found during random internet searches:

Baka, Dyjah, Haberny, Klejka, Krupa, Kwok, Leja, Ludwig, Obertacz, Oleskiw, Planiczek, Planiczka, Singalewicz, Sudoba, Zieba, Ziemba

This is a small list, so please post additional names if you know surnames from Koniówka.

Last edited by Shellie on Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:19 pm; edited 8 times in total
Shellie

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:22 am      Post subject:

The link below will take you to a webpage of a Polish poet from Koniówka...... - Maria Józefa Gromska z domu Długopolska.
I have posted part the translated text under the link below.

http://bit.ly/1H7VOm6

My CV

I was born on 5 February 1967, in Nowy Targ in the foothills of the beautiful Polish Tatra mountains. From birth, lived in the charming village of voiced name - Koniówka in Podhale. My family home is located near the beautiful waterfall on the river Czarny Dunajec and the bridge that leads to the south in the direction of Zakopane and the Tatra Mountains and north in the direction of Krakow.

Koniówka a village inhabited by the Montagnards is built of wood buildings. These villages can be found only in Podhale. From the windows of my family home I had a view of fields and a river in the distance one could see the most beautiful Polish mountains - the Tatras. I come from a true patriotic Polish family farming.

Casimir DŁUGOPOLSKI my father - a good husband, father and Polish patriot (though could it be otherwise with such a beautiful name) - went to God too early. I was with my beloved mother Antonina Długopolską, three sisters and a brother Jozek.

In Koniówce went to school for 3 years.
I finished elementary school in a neighboring village called Podczerwone. Then I learned at a vocational school name, Helena Modjeska in Zakopane. In this school I learned knitting, manufacturing knitted on machines and other technologies in the field of textile production. Profession that I did not like, although I learned in this school. Scarf by hand unless I did 6 years and well into today has not been finished.
On the machines while I was doing very well, because I always had the assessment at 5 +. Colleagues were surprised that I can quickly finish a product, which does not even dropped me from the machine.
I remember my teacher kindly.

Even mention, such as Mrs. Maria Figus, Mrs. Mary Dudek, who especially liked Richard and Mr Kila, who taught me the technology.

As the daughter of a farmer from Podhale attracted me to work on the land. Even as a girl traveled to the tractor. Of course, I was a great charioteer riding a horse wagon. It is a pity that these carts are no longer there. What a joy to harness horses to carts and go, go. With konikami can talk while driving - the conversation has a tractor. Work on the land, without exception, I liked it, what was. Driving the tractor also has created me joy. I always dreamed to have your own tractor. When he already had, but unfortunately I had to go to the USA. Tractor and farm machinery have been in the family home in Koniówce.

In 1993 I went with my husband and children to Chicago, Illinois, USA. Chicago is the largest? Polish? City in the U.S.. He lives here a lot of Polish immigrants of Polish, among which is the large number of mountaineers, and I with my family we constitute the piece. I am a patriot - Polk - although almost 13lat dwell in exile.

My children teach the Polish language and always remind them that they are Poles, with their parents - POLES. In my house it is our national flag and the Polish eagle with a crown.
I assure you that the rest of my life remain a Pole.

- Maria Józefa Gromska z domu Długopolska.
Shellie

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:29 am      Post subject:

Here is an interesting discussion thread at Ancestry. com about a surname from Koniówka titled: Josef Ludwik, Koniowka, Poland, Born 1889
http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?m=4881&p=localities.ceeurope.poland.malopolskie&dc=50
Boy_dan

Replies: 12

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:59 am      Post subject: Koniówka at the turn of the 19th and 20th Century

The alphabetical list below shows the family names of Koniówka's citizens about the turn of the 19th and 20th Century:

Gruszka
Haberny (female Haberna)
Harbut
Janosek
Kamieniarz
Klejka
Knapczyk
Komperda
König (also Konig)
Kowalik
Kruczak
Kułach
Leja
Liszka
Ludwik (also Ludwig)
Masny (female Masna)
Mateja (also Matyja, Matya)
Mola
Niemiec
Obyrtacz
Pilch
Planiczka (also Planicka)
Rokuska
Sęk
Skupień (also Skupien)
Sroka
Szwac (also Szwarz, Szwacz, Swac)
Toczek
Tylka
Tyrała
Walos
Witek
Zięba (also Zieba, Ziemba)

The list of the family names that also were associated with Koniówka at the turn of the 19th and 20th Century:

Androziak
Babel
Bąk
Bałaś
Baranowska
Barnaś
Bednarz
Bereczyn (also Berecyn, Berecin)
Bielański
Bobak
Bochnak
Bolfa
Borowski (female Borowska)
Buła
Chmenia
Chmiela
Chrobak
Ciszek
Cukier
Domagała (also Domagala)
Fiedor
Filimek
Fitt
Floretek
Folfas
Frączek
Fronczysty
Fudala
Gal
Gawlak
Gewont
Grek
Habina
Hurchot
Iwan
Jachymczuk (also Jahymczuk)
Janoszek
Jóźwiak
Jurczak
Kalisz
Kania
Kapel
Karcz
Kiernia
Klimowska
Kocańda
Kois (also Kojs, Kojsz, Kois-Stanek)
Kordaczek
Kowalczyk
Kozel
Krupa
Kukulak
Kundys
Kuraś
Kurzyniec
Kwak
Łaś
Maciuska (also Marciuska)
Majerczyk
Maśnica
Matula
Michniak
Miętus
Mikulak
Mniszak
Morawa
Muranc
Obrochta
Oklapek
Olszewski
Orawiec
Pawlak
Peclavik
Płaza
Podczerwiński
Porębska
Sądecki (also Sondecki)
Siemurda
Sieta
Sikinia
Skorusa
Skowronek
Śliwa
Sobura
Solarczyk
Solarz
Solarz
Stachoń
Stanek
Staszel
Stopka
Styrczula
Świętek
Szaflarska
Szczypta
Szuba
Szymczak
Wajda
Wetula
Wieczorek
Woroniecka
Zaborski (female Zaborska)
Żeglin (also Żegleń, Zeglin, Zeglyń)
Zięder
Złoza
Zych
Boy_dan

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:19 am      Post subject: pronunciation

Pronunciation at http://say.expressivo.com/V7dgTLGW is wrong as long you put "o" instead "ó". Koniówka is to read as "konuvka" or "konyouvka".
Shellie

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:51 am      Post subject:

Boy_dan,
Thanks for catching my mistake! I went back and corrected the link in my first posting. The link to hear the pronounciation of Koniówka is now: http://say.expressivo.com/s1fRVZG1
Please let me know if it is still incorrect.

Also, thank you for sharing the surnames assocated with Koniówka. I know that in addition to myself, there will be many others who will find this information so valuable.

Last edited by Shellie on Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Boy_dan

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:24 pm      Post subject:

It seems not to work well. I'd suggest everybody, who wants to hear the right pronunciation just to copy "Koniówka" into the form given at http://say.expressivo.com/jacek/Koniówka and again push the red bottom.
Shellie

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:26 pm      Post subject:

http://say.expressivo.com/s1fRVZG1
I re-checked it and it works. Please let me know if you still see problems.
tedleja

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:08 pm      Post subject: My paternal ancestors were born in Koniowka

My Grandfather Andrej Leja born in 1879 I believe was born in Koniowka near Nowy Targ. In 1908 at age 29 he travelled to Pennsylvania to work on the railroads. I've found records of his passing through Ellis Island. In 1914 he decided to return to what really wasn't Poland at the time but the Austrian province of Galicia. His timing was bad and he was drafted into the war to fight for the Austrians against the Russians. He survived the war but his older brother? did not and left a widow and a daughter named Agnieska who may have been born in 1911 (a guess) and died in the late 60's. Well Andrej married Agnieska's mother Marie Mietus and they produced 3 children Anny (1919) Wladyslaw (my father 1921) and Stalislawa (1924?). All 3 kids were born in Konoiwka but I'm not 100% sure about my father's step sister but his birth certificate shows Koniowka and Andrej and Maria as parents. It turned out that Maria died in the late 20's (not sure of date) of TB. Andrzej left for Canada in 1926 to work on the railway and left his children in the care of a relative or neighbor who did not treat them well. My father had to steal food to keep the family alive. When a neighbor wrote to Andrzej warning him about his kids' mistreatmant, he sent money to have his kids (3) sent to Canada in 1935 and lived in Montreal. My father joined the army in 1942 and fought with the Canadian army in France Belgium Holland & Germany. When he returned he married my mother Sophie who was born in Kolbuszowa. My father's half sister Angnieska has stayed in Poland and was living all her life in the same valley. My aunt Anny had sent care packages to Agnieska in the 60's and early 70's but we have lost contact with her and her children. Now I want to find what happen to her and her children.
I'm doing the history of my ancestors because I would like to obtain Polish citizenship and EU passports for my family and filling in the gaps of my ancestors is required but once you start this process you really become hooked on why you are what you are. It then becomes a passion.

Ted Leja
Belleville ON Canada
Send e-mail
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:33 am      Post subject:

Boy_dan

Thanks for posting the extensive list of surnames found in Koniowka. I unexpectedly found one of my Surnames of interest-Szuba, so I appreciate having the additional location to look into.

I'm very curious to learn the source for all the surnames that you listed. I have googled various names and found the maps of Poland with the locations of various pockets of people with a particular name, however, I have never come across an extensive list of names from a particular area.
Thanks,
MaryAnne
Boy_dan

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:11 pm      Post subject:

MaryAnne:
The list is taken from parish's records of Chochołów and still isn't completed. I have been working on my family tree and just gone through every old book in every place I've heard my roots might have come. Szuba is more popular in Podczerwone then Koniówka. What kind of information you looking for?
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:24 pm      Post subject:

Boy_Dan,

So far all I know is that My Great Grandmother-Marianna Szuba Married Jozef Duplaga and they lived in Brzozow, Poland. There is also a "Michael Szuba" listed on a family members marriage certificate as a witness. This is all that I do know about my Szuba's-so anything new is helpful. Now I know that Podczerwone is a possible area of interest.
Thanks for the additional information,
MaryAnne
Boy_dan

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:27 pm      Post subject:

I just checked my records and found Marianna (coincidence?), the only Szuba on my list. She was Jakub's and Rozalia's (Orawiec) daughter from Czarny Dunajec. She was married with Andrzej Knapczyk, Jakub's and Anna's (Kojs) from Koniówka. Their child, Jadwiga Knapczyk was born on Sep. 26, 1904 in Koniówka, in a house No. 58.
Some Szubas of Podczerwone and Czarny Dunajec are in Chicago, Ill. Try your luck in White Pages for Tadeusz (Tad) Szuba or Jan (John) Szuba. They left Poland in 70ties.
I know that Szubas from Czarny Dunajec were welthy family, because of their sawmill through the generations.
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:09 pm      Post subject:

Boy_dan,

That was an interesting coincidence-but the names and dates, don't compare. However, all the references are helpful. When I get a bit further down theline with information, then I'll try to call the two Szuba's! I appreciate your assistance.
MaryAnne
lmajka

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:01 pm      Post subject:

Hello,
My Maternal Grandmother was Agnes Leja, born in 1890 in Podczerwone Poland. I know that her father's name was Jacob Leja from a Still Born/Death certificate in Chicago Cook County.
Agnes's mother died giving birth to her according to what my mother said. I am wondering if anyone has info on the Leja family.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: