PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 27

Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:26 am      Post subject: Julian Tarnowski

Hi I posted this in a different forum. I'm hoping someone will help here.
Hi
I need help again. My wife and I will be visiting the Tarnow area in The second half of August and I cannot locate any records for Julian Tarnowski in Poland/Russia. Julian was born on December 6, 1876. He immigrated to the United States on February 5, 1909 and listed he was from Tarnowo, Russia. He was married to Stefania (Dolengoski) Tarnowska (Born September 30, 1885). They had two young sons (while in Poland) Waldyslaw and Hipolit (Born July 27, 1905). They later had another son John and a daughter Helen born in the United States. Other than Julian coming to the USA from Poland I cannot friend any records from Poland nor can I find any immigration records of his wife and two sons.

I also believe Julian was married to Stefania in 1904. Julian parents were Wladyslaw and Zuzanna (Godlewska). Julian's wife's parents were Casimer Dolengoski and Frances (Dabrowski).

My wife and I have spent countless hours looking for records from Poland with no success of any kind.
Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks
Joe Torolski
Send e-mail
looking for clues
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 122

Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:30 pm      Post subject: Julian Tarnowski

It looks like I found the immigration record for Stefania and sons immigrating through Baltimore in 1913 going to Julian Tarnowski in Wyandotte, MI. Also immigrating is Julian's sister Wladyslawa.

On FamilySearch.org they are indexed as Wladyslawa, Stephanya, Hipolit and Waclaw Tarnowska. Note all had the feminine ending of ska not ski; I'm guessing the record just carried over the same last name as Wladyslawa and Stefanya.

The record is found at https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3AStefanya%20%2Bsurname%3ATarnowsk*&collection_id=2018318
Click to see the image. Also, be sure to look at page two. It appears to show a different location for Wladyslaw Tarnowski. Maybe your eyes can make out what it says.

Also have you looked at church records for the two children born here or at the marriage records for the oldest sons, in case there is any further detail about location in Poland?

Good luck.
Diane

note the entire link didn't appear highlighted as a link. Be sure to include the whole address.
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:31 pm      Post subject:

When I read the passenger list, the column that reads "nearest relative in country whence alien came", I see:
"fath. Wladyslaw Tarnowski, Tarnowo Łomża, Russia"

Cynthia
Send e-mail
looking for clues
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:47 pm      Post subject: Julian Tarnowski

Cynthia - now that you point that out, I do see Tarnowo Łomża.

Joe - here is a wikipedia link about a village of Tarnowo in Łomża county. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarnowo,_Podlaskie_Voivodeship "Tarnowo [tarˈnɔvɔ] is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Miastkowo, within Łomża County, Podlaskie Voivodeship, in north-eastern Poland"

and this translated link https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarnowo_(wojew%25C3%25B3dztwo_podlaskie)&prev=search
looking for clues
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:54 pm      Post subject: Julian Tarnowski

I also note that there are two immigration records for a Julian Tarnowski in 1905 and 1909. Both are going to a brother Stefan Tarnowski. The 1909 record shows that Julian was in the US before.

1905 https://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/passenger-details/czoxMjoiMTAyMzQ4MDgwNDY5Ijs=/czo4OiJtYW5pZmVzdCI7

1909 p1 https://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/passenger-details/czoxMjoiMTAxNTE1MDQwNDg2Ijs=/czo4OiJtYW5pZmVzdCI7
1909 p2 https://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/passenger-details/czoxMjoiMTAxNTE1MDQwNDg2Ijs=/czo4OiJtYW5pZmVzdCI7

Not sure if I am on the right track on this, but I found an immigration record for a Stefan Tarnowski in 1903. This Stefan Tarnowski was from Lomza and per the index card he was going to his friend Stefan Dolegowski. That looks close to Julian's wife Stefania's maiden name of Dolengoski.

card https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KFD1-BJ9
manifest https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9P1Z-95PY?i=235&cc=1921481
PabianAus
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 181

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:52 am      Post subject:

And here is another data point to re-inforce that the Tarnowski's came from the Łomza county in the Podlaskie province.

Here are some details on Stefan Tarnowski (brother of Julian)
Born 2 September 1879
Died 30 June 1966 Wyandotte, County Wayne, Michigan Parents Władysław and Zuzanna Godlewska.
Spouse: Antonina (Antoinette) Drzymała born 24 August 1894 Łomza. Died 23 August 1948 Wyandotte, County Wayne, Michigan

Also, if you haven’t already, try and get a hold of US marriage and death records for the two boys born in Poland:
Hipolit/Hepolit/Herbert Tarnowski died 4 October 1990 Trenton, Wayne County, Michigan
Władysław/Walter Tarnowski born 27 August 1907 Poland, died 4 January 1988, Wyandotte, County Wayne, Michigan
and also Juliusz’s brother Stefan who died 30 June 1966 Wyandotte.

The 1920 US Census for the City of Wyandotte, County Wayne, Michigan:
Julius Tarnowski, age 45 immigrated, to USA in 1909
Stefania Tarnowski age 34, immigrated to USA in 1913
Hepolit Tarnowski Son age 16 born in Poland (probably born as Hipolit. Later known as Herbert.) Died 4 October 1990 Trenton, Wayne County, Michigan.
Walter J Tarnowski Son age 12 born in Poland (probably born as Władysław) (other records have him born 27 August 1907, died 4 January 1988 Wyandotte).
John Tarnowski Son age 6 born Michigan.
Helen Tarnowski daughter age 3 10/12 born Michigan (other records have her born 1 April 1916 Wyandotte, died 10 Dec 1995 Wyandotte married name Kowalczik)

Tom
Joseph Torolski

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:12 am      Post subject:

Thanks everyone for the overwhelming amount of information. My wife and I were looking for records in Tarnow, Poland since that's what the children of Wladysaw Tarnowski's (Hipolit Brother also my Wife's Grandfather) said there father was from Tarnow. Now it makes more sense since many Polish people from Lomza and that area immigrated to the Wyandotte, Michigan area. The Lomza area (Dzierzbia and Rzekun) is also where my Grandfather was from. So I think it's is established that Julian, Stephen, Hipolit and others came from Tarnowo Lomza, Poland not the Tarnow 60 miles or so east of Krakow.

Alas now I cannot find records for Julian and his family in Poland. Stay tuned who knows what we may find out next.
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:44 am      Post subject:

Joseph Torolski wrote:

Alas now I cannot find records for Julian and his family in Poland. Stay tuned who knows what we may find out next.

Hi Joe,

You probably will not be able to find any records for your ancestors from the Tarnowo area either online or in LDS films. The R.C. parish to which Tarnowo belonged was in Miastkowo. Records for that parish are housed in the Polish National Archives in Białstok and only go up to 1870. The LDS film is available online but needs to be viewed at an LDS Family History Center. The film is of the records at the archive in Białystok so there would be no difference between the records on the film and those in the archive. Your best bet to find the records you need would be to contact the parish in Miastkowo. (Contact info is attached.) The attached map shows Tarnowo and Miastkowo and the attachment from the “Skorowidz…” shows that the R.C. parish for Tarnowo is in Miastkowo. The attachment from the LDS catalog lists the records on film/online.

I’ll send additional attachments in a separate post due to limitations on the ability to add attachments to posts.

Dave

record catalog.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.35 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

record catalog.JPG

Capture3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.9 KB

Capture3.JPG

Capture2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.88 KB

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  349.84 KB

Capture.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:02 pm      Post subject: Additional Attachments

Joe,

The picture of the ship will not help you to find records but I thought that perhaps you would like to see it. Arriving via the Port of Baltimore was a good idea for the two ladies traveling with young children. In about 1870 the North German Lloyd steamship company and the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad signed an agreement in which agents went to the villages in Poland and sold “package deal” tickets which included tickets for the ship and train tickets on the B&O from Baltimore to the passenger’s ultimate destination in the US. As part of the agreement the B&O built an immigration pier which the ships used. On the land side of the pier was the B&O terminal. What often happened was that the immigration officials boarded the ship as it entered Chesapeake Bay and by the time the ship docked the immigrants were ready to be admitted, got off the ship, exited the pier, and boarded a train. (Of course, sometimes there was a wait until the proper train was ready to depart.) The entire procedure would have made for easy travel for the ladies with the children and their luggage. The two B&O maps are from 1890 and 1961. The later map is simpler and easier to read.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave

P.S. The spelling of Dolengoski in the records will usually be Dołęgowski.

1200px-Baltimore_and_Ohio_RR_in_1961.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  242.75 KB

1200px-Baltimore_and_Ohio_RR_in_1961.jpg

1891_B&O.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.98 KB

1891_B&O.jpg

rhein.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  169.85 KB

rhein.JPG

Joseph Torolski

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:12 pm      Post subject: Finding Family of Julian Tarnowski

The more I look for records of the above family the more twists and turn it takes. I now have information that Julian is from Tarnowo Goski. Im hoping this was part of the Lomza area since some documentation shows Lomza as the area or county. Julian lists his birthplace as Tarnowo Goski with the parish listed as Rosochate Koscienlne. He was also married there on June 19, 1902. Additional records check show no online records for Julian in Poland. Getting a little nervous will be in Poland in less than a month. Hope were on the right track.
Send e-mail
looking for clues
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:45 pm      Post subject: Finding Family of Julian Tarnowski

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosochate_Kościelne says "Rosochate Kościelne is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Czyżew-Osada, within Wysokie Mazowieckie County, Podlaskie Voivodeship, in north-eastern Poland.[1] It lies approximately 8 kilometres (5 mi) north of Czyżew-Osada, 13 km (8 mi) south-west of Wysokie Mazowieckie, and 62 km (39 mi) south-west of the regional capital Białystok." Per map it looks like it is about 50 kilometers (31 miles) away from the town of Lomza and Tarnowo-Goski is even closer.

I found records from Rosochate (which I am guessing could be Rosochate Kościelne) online on metryki.genealodzy.pl http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryki.php?op=sy&ar=15&zs=0165d with records around the time of Julian and Stefania's marriage and births being in Russian. Maybe somebody else can help you check the indexes for the years of birth and marriage to see if you can determine if this is indeed the correct location. For example, records to a 1902 marriage would be found from here. http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryki.php?op=kt&ar=15&zs=0165d&sy=1902

You can also contact the church https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=http://parafiarosochate.manifo.com/&prev=search possibly by phone since time is tight.

Good luck.
PabianAus
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 181

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:58 pm      Post subject:

This looks like the (very comprehensive) marriage record (#24) of Julian Tarnowski and Stefania Dolęgowska.
http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=15&zs=0165d&sy=1902&kt=2&plik=024-025.jpg#zoom=1.5&x=102&y=210

You might like to post it to the Russian Translations forum "Russian records translations p.2" for a more detailed translation.
Highly likely that the marriage record will contain useful details such as where both bride and groom were born, their ages and marital statuses at the time of this marriage, and who their parents were.

My very basic (self taught) cursive Russian skills indicate that Julian’s parents were Władysław and Zuzanna / Susanna Godlewska, while Stefania’s parents were Kazimierz and Franciszka (they seem to have written down Zuzanna originally, crossed it out and corrected it with Franciszka) Dombrowska.

Tom W

Last edited by PabianAus on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Joseph Torolski

Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:27 am      Post subject: Julian Tarnowski

Thank You PabianAus you have provided a link to my wife's family in Poland. This is first record we have found in Poland. We hope to find more information when we get there next month. This is indeed a major breakthrough.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: