PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:10 am      Post subject: Seeking answers about ancestors - Pankros, Szamborski

Hello, fellow Polish Origins members!

My name is Katie Devereaux, and I've spend the better part of two days looking for any and all leads on my Polish ancestors.

My grandmother, Regina Szamborska McIntyre's parents were both from Poland and emigrated to Philadelphia in the late 1800s. She has always been fascinated with her ancestry and heritage, and as a child, she often questioned her parents about where they came from. Unfortunately, they barely supplied her with any information about their past. She went on to become a writer, and because she could never trace her family back to Poland, she took general information her mother and father gave her about their lives and truned it into two published historical fiction novels: "An Altar of Sod" and "Yesterday's Pupils".

Her third novel "The Resistance," is currently being published one chapter at a time in issues of The Polish American Journal. The book is about the conditions that led to the Warsaw Uprising during WWII and how the people of Poland courageously fought the Nazi army only to be decimated by the political vagaries of war.

She turns 85 in October and is working on her last novel about her mother, Josephine, but she finds herself at a standstill not knowing anything about her past. I've started an ancestry.com account, but without accurate last names of her parents or any names of her grandparents, or any accurate places of birth, I'm stuck. it would be a life-long dream come true for both of us if she could once-and-for-all know both who and where she comes from after 85 years of longing for information.

Here's what I know:

Her mother's name was Josephine and she was born in Poland in 1892. She said her maiden name was Pancros, or maybe Pancross, but that name does not exist on ancestry.com or in any of the Polish databases I've searched online. Or really anywhere from any country. It seems as if the name doesn't exist. She told my grandmother she was from somewhere that sounded like "Poleskie Gubernia" which she said was located in the Russian partition of the country. When researching this place, I did find a Gubernia Podlaska, and I also found a province named Poleskie in the town of Braszewicze. She said her family emigrated to the united states in 1896. And that is all the information her mother gave her.

Her father, believe it or not, supplied even less information than her mother. He told her he was from Warsaw, and he was likely born in 1891. His name was Michael Szamborska or Szamborski or Samborski or some kind of derivative. He also emigrated to Philadelphia at some in the late 1800s.

If there is anyone out there who might know what Polish surname Pancros sounds like it would be extremely helpful. Also, I would be ever so grateful if someone could point me in the direction of where to go about finding actual information about these people with the very small amount I already have.

Thank you so much in advance for any and all recommendations.

Katie
Send e-mail
starkey76

Replies: 164

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:53 am      Post subject:

There is a 1963 death for Michael Szamborski in Philadelphia, PA. Looks like Regina McIntyre signed as witness. He was divorced. 2542 E Clearfield st was listed as his address, Regina's was 52 Mint Leaf in Levittown PA. Not sure if you had seen that. A few questions, did your grandmother Regina have any other siblings? If so, could help locate the 1940 census and others. Do you know what year she married? Did you get obituary for him from 1963? That was what unlocked my block on my grandfather, it gave a sister's name. Start with the small details and hope to get a marriage certificate that gives info. Good luck
John
starkey76

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:05 am      Post subject:

There's also a hit from find a grave, if that is your Michael, I would say he might have remarried.
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=105861883&ref=acom
There is a Michael Samborski marrying Josephine Grusczynski in 1929. If the gravestone matches, his first wife Kunegunda died in 1927? A 1930 census matches them, Josephine had 3 children when they married as well as Michael. Again, might not be them. Address was Eddington St.
John

Edit: there's a 2nd 1930 census for same family, but at 3147 Almond St.

Michael Sambore 1930 census.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.26 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Michael Sambore 1930 census.jpg

Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:03 am      Post subject: Re: Desperately seeking answers about ancestors

kremmets wrote:
Hello, fellow Polish Origins members!

Here's what I know:

Her mother's name was Josephine and she was born in Poland in 1892. She said her maiden name was Pancros, or maybe Pancross, but that name does not exist on ancestry.com or in any of the Polish databases I've searched online. Or really anywhere from any country. It seems as if the name doesn't exist. She told my grandmother she was from somewhere that sounded like "Poleskie Gubernia" which she said was located in the Russian partition of the country. When researching this place, I did find a Gubernia Podlaska, and I also found a province named Poleskie in the town of Braszewicze. She said her family emigrated to the united states in 1896. And that is all the information her mother gave her.

Thank you so much in advance for any and all recommendations.

Katie

Katie,

Some geography issues:
Braszewicze is in lodzkie, not podlaskie. A province is not a part of a town.
That said, chances are I have found something, since dates match:

A Jozefa Pankros, born in 1893, arrived in 1899. Her parents were Wojciech Pankros and Jozefa.
Jozefa, the daughter, declared her last residence as Borowiec, Kalisz. (see map attached)
see her immigration card in https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:2:77TH-4D43-F?i=1404&cc=1921483

This was (still is) wielkopolskie province. Maybe what she heard as poleskie?

Wojciech Pankoros married Jozefa Nowakowska in Ostrowite (Slupca) see image attached of their marriage record details.
Jozefa, the daughter, was born in Salamonowo, and baptized in Ostrowite, Slupca. see image attached.

And, in addtion to what John has found, her second marriage, this time to Michael. Definitely, it is her.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:24DH-7KV

Michael's birth: http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=07mz&rid=B&search_lastname=szamborski&search_name=&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=1890&to_date=1890&exac=1

Gilberto

Borowiec.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  406.47 KB

Borowiec.jpg

Pankoros.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.62 KB

Pankoros.jpg

Jozefa.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.97 KB

Jozefa.jpg

Send e-mail
starkey76

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:16 am      Post subject:

That 1931 marriage in New York matches all the names, the 1929 marriage in Pennsylvania might be another person. Unless they renewed vows that quickly, or had 2nd ceremony in NY for some reason a few years later? Also the 1931 marriage says Marchal was single(40), which wouldn't line up with the 1930 census and the 3 children from "first" marriage. But looks like you have good avenue to start down. Very nice work Gilberto.
John
starkey76

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:44 pm      Post subject:

Here's the image from 1899 voyage. With the children, a 1900 census should be attainable, I don't see one under 3924 Coral yet.

I think this is Josephine's brother who died in 1943. And the 1910 census, I don't see Josephine there, but she would've been close to 17. But some of the other children line up from the passenger list: Lucia(married Stanislaw Zawierncha in 1907), Antoni, and Vincent.
John

Albert Pankros 1910 census.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.24 MB

Albert Pankros 1910 census.jpg

Valentine Pankros death 1943.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  998.51 KB

Valentine Pankros death 1943.jpg

Josefa Pankros 1899 arrival.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  855.44 KB

Josefa Pankros 1899 arrival.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: