PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:40 pm      Post subject: Penkala/Pękala, Kencki/Kecki/Kinski Orlicki/Orlecki, Kęty

Hello! I am searching for relatives of my ancestors, who were born in Kęty, Poland, but listed as born in Austria on the 1910 Census in the USA.

Alex/Alojzy/Fan/Jan? Penkala (Pękala?) born 11 May 1883 in Kęty, Poland
Father possibly John Penkala, born in Wiepcz (Wieprz?), Poland to Anna Gonsolczyk born in Wiepcz (Wieprz?), both were Catholic. They died in Poland of the Black Death after their ninth child was born in 1883. One of the daughters could have been Frances, who is said to have raised her brother Alex.

Mary Kencki/Kenski/Kinski/Kecki, born 6 December 1888 in Kety. Father Joseph/Jozef Kencki born 1853 died 1914, Jozef
was married to Angela Orlecki/Orlicki born 7 February 1855, Died 4 May 1924 in Poland. They had 5 boys and 4 girls, one of the sons was said to be a high ranking officer in the Polish army, who was murdered by the Russians. Joseph Kencki is also said to have lived in another town originally, under the surname Gazbulski, where his father was a wealthy land owner, but his lands were taken away from them during the Austrian Occupation. Joseph's father changed their name to honor the town of their refuge, Kety, due to fear for their lives. No one in my family is quite sure how they spelled their name.

Alex immigrated to the US in 1906 under the name of Fan Penkala, Mary immigrated in 1908 (no record located), and Mary's brother Jozef immigrated in 1910. Sadly, Mary died after the birth of her 13th child. They lived mostly in South Bend, Indiana, but also spent time in Taylor Springs, Illinois.

I have always wondered about my Polish Roots and am hoping to learn something to share with the numerous descendants of Alex and Mary! Thanks so much! Very Happy
Groningerb

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:36 pm      Post subject: Marya KENCKA born 6 December 1888 in Kety

I finally found this elusive lady on the Ellis Island records. Her name is spelled KENCKA. It's a start!
Tina Ellis

Replies: 74

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:24 pm      Post subject:

Austria ruled this part of Poland until 1918.

Do you know what religion they practiced in Poland? Records in the archives are filed by religion, and there are civil records. Knowing their religion will help determine how to begin your research. The LDS and the Poland archives are putting all the archived records online. I use the closest LDS facility where I live and the Poland archives. Or ... you can hire a professional genealogist here or in Poland to do your research for you.

I am not a prof. researcher. I research for myself and my cousins.

Tina Ellis
[email protected]
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: