PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:16 am      Post subject: Budy Matuszy, Plock or Budy-Matusy, Mlawa? Lempek relatives.

Thanks to a possible Lempek relative, I got Naturalization papers from my Great Grandfather Antoni Lempek. It says he was born in Budymatusze. I can not find this town anywhere. Is there some reason as to why? Ship manifest says he was born in Tuliszkow. So how come I can't find Budymatusze? And which town should I consider him born in?

Last edited by swichern on Thu May 19, 2011 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
sheep17
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 123

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:05 pm      Post subject:

Hi,
For three of my ancestors, the town listed on the ship manifest was not
their birthplace. Maybe the last town where they worked? or where
they lived? I have no way of knowing.
But, in each case , I have found the family in another town in the same
county (powiat). (Grandfather's manifest says Sadlowo, but I found
him in Kowalki, both in Plock powiat.)
Perhaps this may be the reason your two towns are different?
I hope this helps --

sheep17
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:35 pm      Post subject:

I agree with Sheep17, village info on ship manifests can be tricky. Budymatusze is a rather odd looking name. I wonder if it is 2 words and may be a phonetic representation of a village name, spelled out by a clerk or someone helping your Antoni fill out the naturalization paperwork.

You can visit the Tuliszkow site in Polish here:
http://www.tuliszkow.pl/
or translated to English here: http://tinyurl.com/Tuliszkow-website
The Tuliszkow website provides some village names. What jumps out at me when I look at the names are Ruda and Smaszew. Just a wild guess, but perhaps these are the village names you are looking for.

Do you have images of the documents that show the village names? If you could post them here, perhaps someone can help. Sometimes it helps to see the name as it appears on the actual document.

What other sources of info do you have for Antoni’s birthplace?
swichern

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:28 pm      Post subject: Here is the Naturalization papers

Here is the naturalization papers that was sent to me by my possible Lempek relative. I hope this comes out here so you can see it. Like I said before, I have the Ellis Island ship manifest that says he was born in Tuliszkow. But as you can hopefully see, Budymatusze is one word on these papers.

Lempek Antoni.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  984.47 KB
 Viewed:  11315 Time(s)

Lempek Antoni.jpg

Send e-mail
swichern

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:24 pm      Post subject: Can anyone translate these headstones?

A man who says his great-grandfather is also Antoni Lempek sent me these photos, but I cannot translate the inscriptions because I cannot copy them off of the stones. Can anyone translate what is said on them. I would greatly appreciate it.

100_1363.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.17 MB
 Viewed:  11316 Time(s)

100_1363.JPG

100_1361.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.24 MB

100_1361.JPG

Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:46 pm      Post subject:

This should help you and with the others. The months are in Roman numerals-just convert them. Click pic to enlarge.

Polish grave transcription.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  179.62 KB

Polish grave transcription.jpg

Send e-mail
swichern

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:27 pm      Post subject:

Thank you so much for the translation Bill. Much appreciated.
Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:02 am      Post subject: Re: Lempek relatives

swichern wrote:
Thanks to a possible Lempek relative, I got Naturalization papers from my Great Grandfather Antoni Lempek. It says he was born in Budymatusze. I can not find this town anywhere. Is there some reason as to why? Ship manifest says he was born in Tuliszkow. So how come I can't find Budymatusze? And which town should I consider him born in?

Re: Ship manifest says he was born in Tuliszkow -- I had a look at your great-grandfather's ship manifest and it seems that the first line of the second page of the ship manifest is left blank in the column that gives the passenger's place of birth, it seems to refer to a US citizen whose place of birth is not given. The second line refers to a passenger named Ewa Schiller whose last residence was "Rezgalicy", Russia (see p. 1 of the ship manifest), which is also given as her place of birth (see p. 2 of the ship manifest, last column). This means that Tuliszkow does not refer to your great-grandfather Antoni Lempek but to the next passenger below.
Your great-grandfather's ship manifest indicates on p. 1 that his "nearest relative or friend in country whence alien came from" was his wife Julianna Lempek in Budy Matuszy, Plock, and in the last column of p. 2 it says that his place of birth was Budy. This is in line with the Declaration of Intention that you have that indicates that both of your great-grandparents were born in Budy Matuszy and were also married there.

According to Wikipedia there is a village Budy in the administrative district of Gmina Słubice, within Płock County, Masovian Voivodeship, in east-central Poland that lies approximately 4 miles west of Słubice, 14 miles south-east of Płock, and 50 miles west of Warsaw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budy,_P%C5%82ock_County
And there is a Budy-Matusy in the administrative district of Gmina Radzanów, within Mława County, Masovian Voivodeship, in east-central Poland, approximately 17 miles south-west of Mława and 63 miles north-west of Warsaw. According to Wikipedia, Gmina Radzanów contains the villages and settlements of Bębnówko, Bębnowo, Bieżany, Bojanowo, Bońkowo Kościelne, Bońkowo-Podleśne, Budy-Matusy, Cegielnia Ratowska, Gradzanowo Włościańskie, Gradzanowo Zbęskie, Gradzanowo Zbęskie-Kolonia, Józefowo, Luszewo, Marysinek, Radzanów, Ratowo, Ratowo-Leśniczówka, Trzciniec, Wróblewo, Zgliczyn Witowy, Zgliczyn-Glinki and Zielumine. I think this is the Budy-Matusy you are looking for. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gmina_Radzan%C3%B3w,_M%C5%82awa_County

Have a look at the ship manifests of all Lempeks who immigrated to the US and check where they were born, what their last residence was, who they joined in the US (relatives/friends), etc. Many immigrants traveled with and joined family or friends from the same or a nearby village, this may help you to find a connection between the families. For example, I saw other Lempeks whose last residence was Mława, e.g. (another) Antoni Lempek who went to Scranton, PA to join his son Franciszek; "Anostia" Lempek who went to West Linn, Mass. to join her father A. (?) Lempek, and so on.
Ute

Last edited by Ute on Mon May 23, 2011 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
swichern

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:29 am      Post subject:

OH wow, thanks so much. Apparently I wasn't reading the manifest correctly. I appreciate all this information. You are really good at this Ute.
Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:30 am      Post subject:

swichern wrote:
OH wow, thanks so much. Apparently I wasn't reading the manifest correctly. I appreciate all this information. You are really good at this Ute.

In case you don't have your great-grandfather's WWII Draft Registration Card yet -- I just found it -- unfortunately, it doesn't give his exact place of birth, just Poland ...

Lempek, Antoni WWII Draft.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  555.23 KB

Lempek, Antoni WWII Draft.jpg

swichern

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:48 pm      Post subject:

Thanks so much. Finding these things out about my family is so neat. I have always wanted to know where my roots are. Thank you so very much.
Send e-mail
Nedziak

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:58 pm      Post subject: Hi

Hi, im Krzysztof Andrzejczak. I found this website by chance. It has been many years and i hope you have found your great-grandfather.The grave from these pictures is the grave of my family. My grandfather Antoni, my granny Janina, godfather Stanisław and uncle Włodzimierz. Family and memory of her are very importand to me. I would like to ask who sent you these pictures? Our grandparents had 6 children and 21 grandchildren. With a few i have contact, but i have not talked to most of them for years. Maybe this way i will be able to find someone close for me. For many years i have lived in Wales, and contact with my family is very importand to me. I wish you all the best and please help me.
swichern

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:38 pm      Post subject:

The man who sent the photo is Michal Lempek. He lives in Walcz, Poland. He speak some English.
Most Lempek live in a central location in Poland or have come from the same central location in Poland. I can not seem to find anyone related to my Great Grandfather Antoni Lempek who married Julianna Holipski.
Do you have any information on my Great Grandfather Antoni Lempek or his wife Julianna Holipski? I would like to know if Antoni Lempek had siblings and what his parents' names are. The papers to my Great Grandfather are in this thread.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: