PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 231

Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:35 pm      Post subject:

Germans, Poles, and Jews: The Nationality Conflict in the Prussian East, 1772-1914, William W. Hagen

Is more pertinent for me.
Send e-mail
michal.j.wilczewski

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:45 am      Post subject:

Bob - in addition to Hagen's excellent book you might want to take a look at Neither German nor Pole by James E. Bjork. Bjork's book was just recently published and won the 2010 Kulczycki Prize in Polish Studies from the Polish Studies Association. I haven't read it yet, but it is on my reading list for an independent study I am taking this semester in graduate school. Whereas nationalism is a fascinating topic that has dominated the field for some time, national indifference has just come up as one of the new up and coming topics to analyze. It should be a great read!
BobK
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 231

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:02 am      Post subject:

michal.j.wilczewski wrote:
Bob - in addition to Hagen's excellent book you might want to take a look at Neither German nor Pole by James E. Bjork. Bjork's book was just recently published and won the 2010 Kulczycki Prize in Polish Studies from the Polish Studies Association. I haven't read it yet, but it is on my reading list for an independent study I am taking this semester in graduate school. Whereas nationalism is a fascinating topic that has dominated the field for some time, national indifference has just come up as one of the new up and coming topics to analyze. It should be a great read!

Thanks Michal. It's subtitle: "Catholicism and National Indifference in a Central European Borderland" and reviews indicate it is more about Upper Silesia and the difference between the Evangelcal (Lutheran) Germans and Catholic Poles than about nationalism. But perhaps I'm reading to much into the reviews, the book obviously would clarify.

I'm not looking to get that deep into this, I'm more interested in reconstructing what the typical German in Polish territory felt and how they saw themselves among other language speakers (the Poles and Jews), then the Russians coming in to control the land and in mid 1800s, demand they speak, read & write Russian and be Russian! And more personal, to understand my long deceased grandparents comments from 50 some years ago (I wish I could ask them now.. but).

You're right, it could be another to read.

The book is in it's 4th printing, and is copywrited 2008. It's hardback price is ~$95 and a downloadable 'e-book' or used copy is about half that. & I could get lucky and find a library copy.

As to your interest, Amazon.com suggested "Kinapped Souls: National Indifferencce and the Battle for Children in the Bohemain Lands, 1900-1948". Reviews of it, are also intriguing.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Everyday life of our ancestors All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: