PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:01 am      Post subject: Polish Records for a Rare Surname - Supka

Hi there,

I am looking for some guidance on my Polish family members. Here is what I currently know - unsure what my next step should be as I begin to look into Polish records.

John Roj: born about 1885 in Poland; died Oct 28, 1923 in Ware, MA. John married Mary Lopata on on January 30th, 1907 in Ware, MA (marriage record shows her name to be Mary Opata and his to be John Rog). They had 5 children - Edward, Katherine, Sophie, Isabelle & Stanley. (Katherine is my great grandmother). Mary Opata was born on May 8, 1889 in Laskunka, Poland. She died on Sept 7, 1956.

According to the marriage record, Mary Lopata/Opata's parents were Michal Opata and Agata Cub. John Roj/Rog's parents were Michal Rog and Anna Gumula. I know nothing else about the 4 parents, and cannot find any record of John or Mary's births in Poland. Were multiple name spellings like this common? How should I best go about finding them in Polish archives?

The other side are the Supkas. Joseph (Jozsef) Supka was born in Austria in 1868. He lived in Ware, MA and he died on January 17, 1929. Magdalena (his wife) was born in Lubasz, Galizia in 1877. She arrived at Ellis Island (already married at that point) on June 5, 1912 with her 4 kids - Peter (Pietr), Mary (Marganna), John (Jan) and Michael (Michal). She died in 1957 in Ware, MA. I believe her maiden name to be Tombor/Tambor/Tabor.

I am really struggling with this side, as I can't find record of any of the 4 Supka kids' births prior to their emigration to the US, nor have I found Joseph & Magdalena's marriage record. I've seen the following similarly spelled surnames - do any of these sound more right? supka / csupka / tsupka / cupko / chupko / chupka / zupka

Thanks for any and all help & insights!
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:49 pm      Post subject: Re: Polish Records for a Rare Surname - Supka

csupka wrote:
Hi there,

I am looking for some guidance on my Polish family members. Here is what I currently know - unsure what my next step should be as I begin to look into Polish records.

John Roj: born about 1885 in Poland; died Oct 28, 1923 in Ware, MA. John married Mary Lopata on on January 30th, 1907 in Ware, MA (marriage record shows her name to be Mary Opata and his to be John Rog). They had 5 children - Edward, Katherine, Sophie, Isabelle & Stanley. (Katherine is my great grandmother). Mary Opata was born on May 8, 1889 in Laskunka, Poland. She died on Sept 7, 1956.

According to the marriage record, Mary Lopata/Opata's parents were Michal Opata and Agata Cub. John Roj/Rog's parents were Michal Rog and Anna Gumula. I know nothing else about the 4 parents, and cannot find any record of John or Mary's births in Poland. Were multiple name spellings like this common? How should I best go about finding them in Polish archives?

The other side are the Supkas. Joseph (Jozsef) Supka was born in Austria in 1868. He lived in Ware, MA and he died on January 17, 1929. Magdalena (his wife) was born in Lubasz, Galizia in 1877. She arrived at Ellis Island (already married at that point) on June 5, 1912 with her 4 kids - Peter (Pietr), Mary (Marganna), John (Jan) and Michael (Michal). She died in 1957 in Ware, MA. I believe her maiden name to be Tombor/Tambor/Tabor.

I am really struggling with this side, as I can't find record of any of the 4 Supka kids' births prior to their emigration to the US, nor have I found Joseph & Magdalena's marriage record. I've seen the following similarly spelled surnames - do any of these sound more right? supka / csupka / tsupka / cupko / chupko / chupka / zupka

Hello,
In what source do you read "Laskunka"?
If there's a link to it, could you post it?

Gilberto
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:28 pm      Post subject: Re: Polish Records for a Rare Surname - Supka

Magroski49 wrote:
csupka wrote:
Hi there,

Hello,
In what source do you read "Laskunka"?
If there's a link to it, could you post it?

Gilberto

Hi.

To follow up on what Gilberto wrote in response to both your posts...If the marriage record to which you refer is the civil return available online in Family Search, I would suggest that you contact St. Mary’s parish in Ware and request a photo copy (not a marriage certificate) of the record in the parish marriage register. A second best choice, if the parish is not willing to provide a photo copy, would be a complete transcription of the entry. The priest listed on the civil return is actually Joseph Lux, who was the founding pastor of St. Mary’s, which was a Polish ethnic parish founded in 1905. The parish is still active and has a parish cemetery. The church record would at least have the correct Polish spellings of the names of individuals in the record and, most likely, the names of the locations in Poland where the bride and groom were born and baptized.

Here is the link to St. Mary’s: http://www.stmarysware.org/

Records for Lubasz are available in digitized form on Family Search. There is a restriction that those images must be viewed online at a family history center. It would not be as convenient as viewing the images from the comfort of home, but it would probably be worth the extra effort. Attached is a screen shot of the films for Lubasz.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave

Screenshot-2017-10-22 FamilySearch Catalog Księgi metrykalne, 1786-1902 ? FamilySearch org.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.01 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Screenshot-2017-10-22 FamilySearch Catalog Księgi metrykalne, 1786-1902 ? FamilySearch org.png

Magroski49

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:48 pm      Post subject: Re: Polish Records for a Rare Surname - Supka

dnowicki wrote:
Magroski49 wrote:

Hi.

To follow up on what Gilberto wrote in response to both your posts...If the marriage record to which you refer is the civil return available online in Family Search, I would suggest that you contact St. Mary’s parish in Ware and request a photo copy (not a marriage certificate) of the record in the parish marriage register. A second best choice, if the parish is not willing to provide a photo copy, would be a complete transcription of the entry. The priest listed on the civil return is actually Joseph Lux, who was the founding pastor of St. Mary’s, which was a Polish ethnic parish founded in 1905. The parish is still active and has a parish cemetery. The church record would at least have the correct Polish spellings of the names of individuals in the record and, most likely, the names of the locations in Poland where the bride and groom were born and baptized.

Records for Lubasz are available in digitized form on Family Search. There is a restriction that those images must be viewed online at a family history center. It would not be as convenient as viewing the images from the comfort of home, but it would probably be worth the extra effort. Attached is a screen shot of the films for Lubasz.

Dave

Dave, your suggestion led me to an interesting finding: The Supkas and Roj were related even before

Sophia Supka
Polen, Tarnau, Kirchenbücher des römischen-katholischen Bistums Tarnau
Nome Sophia Supka
Tipo de evento Baptism
Data do evento 01 Apr 1870
Local do evento Lubasz, Lubasz, Kraków, Poland
Número da casa 69
Sexo Female
Nome do pai Andreas Supka
Nome da mãe Agatha Roj
Ano que começa o volume 1833
Último ano do volume 1888

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Magroski49

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:07 pm      Post subject: Re: Polish Records for a Rare Surname - Supka

Magroski49 wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
Magroski49 wrote:

Hi.

Dave

Dave, your suggestion led me to an interesting finding: The Supkas and Roj were related even before

Sophia Supka
Nome Sophia Supka
Tipo de evento Baptism
Número da casa 69
Sexo Female
Nome da mãe Agatha Roj

Some children of Michal Roj and Anna Gumuta: inage attached.

Gilberto

RojGumuta.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  156.3 KB

RojGumuta.jpg

Send e-mail
Magroski49

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:27 pm      Post subject: Re: Polish Records for a Rare Surname - Supka

Magroski49 wrote:
csupka wrote:
Hi there,

Hello,
What you read as Laskunka is Laskowska, near Lubasz. Maniów (Roj and Gumuta families) just across the river

Gilberto

places.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  636.76 KB

places.jpg

Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:29 pm      Post subject: Re: Polish Records for a Rare Surname - Supka

Magroski49 wrote:
Magroski49 wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
Magroski49 wrote:

Hi.

Dave

Sophia Supka
Nome Sophia Supka
Tipo de evento Baptism
Número da casa 69
Sexo Female
Nome da mãe Agatha Roj

Some children of Michal Roj and Anna Gumuta: inage attached.

Gilberto

Gilberto,

You made some interesting discoveries. Based on what you found it occurred to me to search with the father’s given and surname and only the mother’s given name since all the info for he Tarnow Church Books comes from an index rather than the actual documents. This resulted in a record for Jan Roj born in 1885. Unfortunately, the actual records have not been digitized and since films can no longer be rented, there aren’t many options left for viewing the actual record. (Perhaps the person doing the indexing was not able to clearly discern the mother’s surname.) Contacting St. Mary’s in Ware, MA may be the best option at present for finding evidence that Jan Roj born in 1885 is the same person who married Mary Lopata.

Attached is the index for Jan’s birth and the results of the LDS catalog search.

Anyway, it all certainly warrants further investigation.

Dave

Screenshot-2017-10-23 FamilySearch Catalog Księgi metrykalne, 1786-1988 ? FamilySearch org.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  319.27 KB

Screenshot-2017-10-23 FamilySearch Catalog Księgi metrykalne, 1786-1988 ? FamilySearch org.png

Screenshot-2017-10-23 Search Results for michael roj - FamilySearch org.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  349.04 KB

Screenshot-2017-10-23 Search Results for michael roj - FamilySearch org.png

Screenshot-2017-10-23 Michael Roj in entry for Joannes Roj, Poland, Tarnow Roman Catholic Diocese Church Books, 1612-1900 .png
 Description:
 Filesize:  299.04 KB

Screenshot-2017-10-23 Michael Roj in entry for Joannes Roj, Poland, Tarnow Roman Catholic Diocese Church Books, 1612-1900 .png

csupka

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:20 am      Post subject:

thanks to you both! After doing more digging, it looks like Joannes Roj, Josepha Roj and Teresia Roj were all born in Maniow, Krakow Poland to Michael Roj & Anna Gumula/Gumuta/Gumusia. While there were many more records for children born to parents with these names, these were the only three listed at "house number: 38".

Since you've both been so helpful, I was hoping you could take a look at these two documents surrounding the Supka side for me. One is the marriage record for Marcien Supka & Katarzyna Drzal (record #5 Cool. Marcien (Martin) Supka was the brother of Joseph Supka (my great great grandfather). Martin's parents are listed as Andrej Supka and Agnika Kapulka (I think). I am struggling to find record of either of them in Polish archives.

Secondly, I've attached a registration file for Supka in Lubasz, Galicia I found. My ancestors all listed Lubasz as their birthplace, but I am struggling to make sense of the information in this record.

Any thoughts you may have or insights are so appreciated!!

martin supka & katarzyna drzal marriage record 1908.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.98 MB

martin supka & katarzyna drzal marriage record 1908.png

supka registration in lubasz.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  118.76 KB

supka registration in lubasz.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:53 am      Post subject:

csupka wrote:
thanks to you both! After doing more digging, it looks like Joannes Roj, Josepha Roj and Teresia Roj were all born in Maniow, Krakow Poland to Michael Roj & Anna Gumula/Gumuta/Gumusia. While there were many more records for children born to parents with these names, these were the only three listed at "house number: 38".

Since you've both been so helpful, I was hoping you could take a look at these two documents surrounding the Supka side for me. One is the marriage record for Marcien Supka & Katarzyna Drzal (record #5 Cool. Marcien (Martin) Supka was the brother of Joseph Supka (my great great grandfather). Martin's parents are listed as Andrej Supka and Agnika Kapulka (I think). I am struggling to find record of either of them in Polish archives.

Secondly, I've attached a registration file for Supka in Lubasz, Galicia I found. My ancestors all listed Lubasz as their birthplace, but I am struggling to make sense of the information in this record.

Any thoughts you may have or insights are so appreciated!!

Hi,

You are welcome.

My suggestion for the marriage return would be the same as for the marriage in Ware. The church where this Three Rivers marriage took place was Saints Peter & Paul. The priest listed (W. Lenz) was the first pastor of the parish. Peter & Paul merged with another parish and is now named Divine Mercy Parish. The parish record will have the correct spelling of Polish surnames and very possibly good info regarding the place of birth & baptism of the bride & groom. The misspellings of the given names Marcin (Marcien) and Agnieszka (Agneska) are probably the result of a non-English speaking clerk entering the info for the marriage license. Those errors just refused to die even though the priest knew the correct spelling. That is where the actual church record of the marriage provides more accurate info.

Attached is a screenshot of a search on Family Search using the Latin form of Andrzej’s name. The Roj name is found but the last two hits may be more useful to you since those events took place in Lubasz. The names are more similar to what is found in the posted marriage record from MA. Variations of the spelling of surnames in Poland sometimes occurred because many individuals were illiterate and the priest wrote what he heard. If the individual did not enunciate clearly, even though letters in the Polish Alphabet are technically not interchangeable to symbolize Polish sounds, some letters have very similar sounds, the priest used the spelling which was most appropriate for what he heard. The letters “u” and “ó” are good examples of letters which have similar sounds.

Here is a link to the website of the church: http://www.churchofdivinemercy.org/hist_pastors.htm

The second document is for Stanisława Supka who was born on April 16, 1898. The last column lists her address when the record was created.

Re: Roj children---The house number is not necessarily a deal breaker. The parents may have moved. Those who were tenants (i.e. did not own a house often moved around a bit. A good clue can often be found in the status listed. One of the status words which provide a clue that the particular house listed in the record may not be a “lifetime” abode is “inquilinus” which means “tenant”.

Hope this helps.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Screenshot-2017-11-9 Search Results for andreas supka - FamilySearch org.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  371.22 KB

Screenshot-2017-11-9 Search Results for andreas supka - FamilySearch org.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: