PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:16 am      Post subject: Czajka family, probably from żulin

Dear Forum,
I am struggling to find information about Jan Czajka, born around 1896 somewhere in Poland, and his family. His wife Stanisława, probably born Krasowska, was born in 1904, also in Poland. I have no information about where any of them was born, or where and when they married. They had four children: Fryderyk, born in 1925, Stanislaw, born in 1930, Genowefa, born in 1937, and Wladek. The whole family, except Wladek who died young, finally settled in England after WWII. Genowefa is still alive, and she remembers a place where she thinks she used to live. It is called żulin, not far from Lublin. Is it possible to find church records from this place, or other information to trace the family? Records in Polish are OK, I read and understand. Maybe somebody in the Forum already knows about this family?
Hoping for help
Violetta
Violetta

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:17 am      Post subject: Czajka family, probably from żulin

Comment to my own message:
The Polish letters I used, had changed into something strange and confusing when I read the message in my email. So, to make it readable for those of you who might have the same problem: Jan Czajka's wife was called Stanislawa, and the place where they probably used to live is called zulin.
Violetta
PabianAus
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 181

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:01 am      Post subject:

Violetta,
What documents do you have of these people ? Surely if they immigrated to the UK after WW2 there must be official immigration documents somewhere. Have you checked with the UK National Archives ? You need to obtain hard documentary evidence about place of birth - Genowefa's recollection of living in a place called Żulin may not necessarily be the actual place of births, rather where they were living when she first became aware of her surroundings.
Another possible source of records would be the ICRC if the family was registered as Displaced Persons/International Refugees in a western European country just after the war.
Have you obtained copies of their UK death certificates ? There may be clues to place of birth in the documents.

Also, do you know anything about the parents of Jan Czajka or Stanisława Krasowska ? That would help a bit to correctly identify your Jan and Stanisława.

FYI Somebody has posted a possible record for Stanisława Czajka (born Krasowska), in MyHeritage:

Stanisława Czajka (born Krasowska) was born to Michał Krasowski and Franciszka Krasowska (born Zdyb).
Stanisława had 9 siblings: Stefania Pawlica (born Krasowska), Genowefa Wójcik (born Krasowska) and 7 other siblings.

I don't have a MyHeritage account so can't access the detailed record.

And one more thing....until you have hard documentary evidence, don't assume that the surname was Czajka. For example it may have been Czajkowski at time of birth, but was changed/simplified over the years for any one of many reasons.

Good luck
Joyce925

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:41 am      Post subject: Czajka family

I am trying to do research on name Joanna Czajkowska(i) born approximately 1855. Wondering if this would be any relation? She married a man named Leo Walaszkiewicz and boarded a ship in 1879 or 1880 to come to America. Word of mouth through the family is that she died on the ship coming to America however, I can find no proof of this. I can't even find the ship she came on though I know it was 1879 or 1880 when she arrived.

Joyce Bendyk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: