PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:58 am      Post subject: Identify a place : Maschijewka

My wife's great grandmother Hadrianna Adam married Herman Blankenburg in Stettin in 1923. After Stettin they lived in briefly in Konigsberg, then emigrated to America in 1927. On her immigration and naturalization papers her birth town is given as Maschijewka, Maschjenka, Maschijewska, Maschyewka, in the country of Russia, Poland, Prussia, or Germany.

Can anyone identify what location this should be?

Thanks!
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:51 am      Post subject: Re: Identify a place : Maschijewka

Tfisher98 wrote:
My wife's great grandmother Hadrianna Adam married Herman Blankenburg in Stettin in 1923. After Stettin they lived in briefly in Konigsberg, then emigrated to America in 1927. On her immigration and naturalization papers her birth town is given as Maschijewka, Maschjenka, Maschijewska, Maschyewka, in the country of Russia, Poland, Prussia, or Germany.

Thanks!

Maybe Maszewko
woj. zachodniopomorskie
pow. goleniowski
gmina Maszewo
64 osoby
kod: 72-212 about 39km from Szczecin.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Tfisher98

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:57 pm      Post subject: Re: Identify a place : Maschijewka

Thanks for the assistance! I wonder if it can be the right guess though. When I try to search about this Maszewko, it seems the pre-WWII German name was Neu Massow, at least according to wikipedia. The documents I am looking at would have the old names.

Disregarding all the country names in the records, the family tradition is her nationality was Russian. Maybe there is another possibility farther east?
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:54 am      Post subject:

Hi Tfisher98,
The first thing that comes to mind when I see "Maschijewka" (and your various spellings of it) is Mazowieckie, but as a place of birth that is not especially helpful since it is a large area. The most helpful thing would be to have a copy of the marriage record from 1923. It looks like they have been microfilmed and the archive has them, but the images are not yet on line. Stettin = Szczecin. Heiratsregister = Registry of Marriages. These records are in German.
http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/65/1389/0/2/189?q=XDSTARTz:[*+TO+1935]+XDSTOPz:[1902+TO+*]+XTYPEro:jedn+XNRZESP:1389+XCDNUMERU:+0+XARCH:65&wynik=112&rpp=15&page=8#tabJednostka
I did take a look at Geneteka, and there certainly are people in the wojewodztwo (=province) of Mazowieckie with the surname of Adam:
http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=eng&bdm=B&w=07mz&rid=B&search_lastname=Adam&search_name=&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=&exac=1
Best of luck with your search,
Sophia
Tfisher98

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:55 am      Post subject:

Thanks Sophia. Yes, the marriage records would probably help a lot; too bad they aren't online! I can muddle through German, but I am clueless with Polish. Smile I have the marriage date as 27 March 1923. No other details on her parents, though that is partly because I am being cheap. For $130 I could get her visa records from the US immigration service; those are supposed to show both parents names. That just seemed a bit expensive for me at this point!
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:11 pm      Post subject:

Hi again Tfisher98. You are not cheap, just selective with how you spend! That is wise. Genealogy will eat up every penny you offer it.
I had another thought about Maschijewka. Perhaps it is Maciejówka which is a little south of Grojec. If you want to hear how it is pronounced, click on the "listen" icon here: http://translate.google.ca/?hl=en&tab=wT#pl/en/Maciej%C3%B3wka If you click on it again, the voice will say it more slowly.
Sophia
looking for clues
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 122

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:45 pm      Post subject: Identifying a place

Do you know what religion Hadrianna and Herman were? If they were Catholic and had children born in the United States, try contacting the parish the children would have likely been baptized in. Often those records will have good information. The same may apply to other religions.
Tfisher98

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:26 pm      Post subject: Re: Identify a place : Maschijewka

Years later, I have a guess (still a guess):
Maciejewo is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Maszewo, within Goleniów County, West Pomeranian Voivodeship, in north-western Poland.
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 299

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:05 pm      Post subject: Re: Identify a place : Maschijewka

Tfisher98 wrote:

Thanks!

Hi Everyone!

I don't know if you have this record or not. It is the marriage record for Hadiana and Hermann. If you post it in the German section of the forum, someone willl translate it for you. The record might have a lot of clues in it.

Name Hadriana Adam
Gender weiblich (Female)
Marriage Age 22
Event Type Heirat (Marriage)
Birth Date 18 Juni 1900
Marriage Date 27 Mär 1923 (27 Mar 1923)
Marriage Place Stettin, Preußen
[Polen (Poland)]
Marriage Civil Registration Office Stettin II
Spouse Hermann Albert Blankenburg

I hope this helps some!
Trish

1923 Marriage Record.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  737.96 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1923 Marriage Record.jpg

Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 299

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:25 pm      Post subject: Re: Identify a place : Maschijewka

Tfisher98 wrote:

Thanks!

Hi Everyone!
I posted the marriage record for Hadriana Adam and Hermann Blankenburg.

From what I can see, Hermann Blankenburg is from Bölzig (Kr. Schlochau).

Bölzig (Kr. Schlochau) is a place, that after the Versailles Treaty belonged to German Empire and was situated in the administrative region Schlochau.

Bölzig (Kr. Schlochau) was formerly part of the German Empire. In the German Empire, the place was called Bölzig. The place is now called Bielsko and belongs to Poland.

I hope others can help figure out where Hadriana is from. It looks like Mosiejewka, Russland (Russia).

Regards,
Trish
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 691

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:36 pm      Post subject: Re: Identify a place : Maschijewka

Trish wrote:
Tfisher98 wrote:

Thanks!

Hi Everyone!
I posted the marriage record for Hadriana Adam and Hermann Blankenburg.

From what I can see, Hermann Blankenburg is from Bölzig (Kr. Schlochau).

Bölzig (Kr. Schlochau) is a place, that after the Versailles Treaty belonged to German Empire and was situated in the administrative region Schlochau.

Bölzig (Kr. Schlochau) was formerly part of the German Empire. In the German Empire, the place was called Bölzig. The place is now called Bielsko and belongs to Poland.

I hope others can help figure out where Hadriana is from. It looks like Mosiejewka, Russland (Russia).

Regards,
Trish

Hi Everyone!
Here is the birth record for Hermann Albert Blankenburg. I don't know if you have this record or not.

-Barb

Bielsko.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.33 KB
 Viewed:  1 Time(s)

Bielsko.jpg

B-Blankenburg Hermann Albert, 1898.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  721.59 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

B-Blankenburg Hermann Albert, 1898.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: