PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:49 pm      Post subject: Origin of surname Aszklar

Hi. I just started researching my family tree and had the AncestryDNA done. I'm interested in learnng as much as I can about my maternal grandmother's side. Her name was Mary Aszklar and her married name was Fiess. Her parents were born in Lubatowka and emmigrated to the US(Connecticut). Their names were Thekla(or Tekla) and Albert Aszklar. Tekla's maiden name was Zajac. I met a distant relative online who told me a geneaology expert told her that although the Aszklar's lived in Poland, that's not where the Aszklar name originated from. She didn't know what country could have been the origin. Can anyone tell me the origin of the surname Aszklar? I appreciate your time in helping me with this.

Thanks,
Christine
epeningt

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:24 pm      Post subject: Aszklar

Christine,
Tekla and Albert Aszklar where my grandparents on my mothers side. I never meet them. Their children were orphaned and put in foster care from what I know. My mother was Stephanie Teresa Aszklar.

Ellen
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:23 am      Post subject:

Ellen, Christine,

Surname Aszklar is indeed a very mysterious one. Its origin is unclear, however accordingly to Hoffman's "Polish surnames" it might come from Turkish aşklar, “love”. This surname is the most common in southeastern Poland, especially in Krosno. As you can see Lubatówka is really close to Krosno: https://goo.gl/maps/9XnETsYTrjn

In 2002 there were 189 individuals using the surname Aszklar living in Poland. Detailed map of the surname distribution can be found here: https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Aszklar

Listen how your surname is pronounced in Polish (click on the “Listen” button): https://translate.google.com/#pl/en/Aszklar

Click here https://polishorigins.com/?s=Aszklar&x=0&y=0 to check what can be found about your surname in the PolishOrigins Databases. Currently there are 3 forum members interested in this surname.

Sources
Visit poster's website
CLampel72

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:08 pm      Post subject:

Hi Ellen,

Great to have found you. Sorry it took so long to respond. I lost my password and had trouble logging in. I met your mother several times when I was a child and even have some pictures of you and your sisters as kids. Your mom had sent pictures to my Grandma. I've tried to seek you a PM but I'm not sure it went through. I'd love to talk with you about our family and exchange info on what we know. You can email me at [email protected] or find me on Facebook as Christine Cecere Lampel.

Aga, that's interesting about the possible Turkish origins of the surname Aszklar. I did have the ancestry DNA done but only 2% Caucasus showed up. Do you think the author actually means the Aszklar's were Turkish but emigrated to Poland? Do you own that book? I'd love to know what else was said about the Aszklar surname.
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:25 am      Post subject:

Christine,

The formation of names in Poland was the long process that begun in the Middle Ages. So, not necessarily your direct ancestor had the Turkish roots, but it might be some ancient protoplast. The Poland-Turkey relations were established in the 15th century. In 19th century many veterans of the uprisings arrived in Turkey. Some Polish officers served in the Ottoman Army. Oriental motifs were popular in culture, painting and literature. But all of this are only some general clues and suppositions.

In Hoffman's "Polish surnames" there is no further information, just the short mention that I wrote you in my first post.
Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: