PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 123

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:31 pm      Post subject: translation of one word - ratai/rataj

In this birth record for Joannes, son of Franciscus Jerawski and Hedwig Ulatowska, (third line down),
there is a word next to Franciscus' name that I don't recognize. May I please have a translation of just the one word? thanks,

sheep17

frankie.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  frankie.pdf
 Filesize:  293.69 KB
 Downloaded:  240 Time(s)

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:16 pm      Post subject: Re: translation of one word --

sheep17 wrote:
In this birth record for Joannes, son of Franciscus Jerawski and Hedwig Ulatowska, (third line down),
there is a word next to Franciscus' name that I don't recognize. May I please have a translation of just the one word? thanks,

sheep17

Hi,

The word ratai is Polish and is usually spelled rataj. The Latin would be arator and it was used to describe hortulanus (ogrodnik/zagrodnik) or a peasant who owned a cottage and enough land for a garden. The word rataj/arator adds another degree of specification---not only did he have a cottage and garden, but he also worked on the farm of a large estate. One word in English just doesn't capture the meaning of the word.

Hope this helps.

Dave
sheep17
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 123

Post Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:22 pm      Post subject: Thank You

Thanks, Dave
No wonder I couldn't find anything similar in my Latin dictionary. I appreciate the explanation - & knowing what my ancestor's occupation was. That one word meant much more than I expected.
Leonore
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: