PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:06 am      Post subject: Suwalki, Kahn- Cahen family and Christophstein soundex

Hello everyone.

I am jessica.

My great great grandfather ( Moyse Christophstein 1830/1831), his wife ( Rose Cahen, sometimes Kahn 1830/1831) and their first born son ( Lazard 1854) apparently wrote Agustowa as their place of origin, before being found in Metz, France and being helped by rabbi Lipmann ( Letter signed by Polish families thanking him for doing all he could to avoid them from being expelled from Metz, one name being Christophstein).

Rose's father was written as Fichel Kahn on her death certificate.

I have immense problems finding them before Metz. In between what was said by them and what was written by the french, I really need help.They were probably abroad before 1857, when their first french born arrived ( they had 12 altogether).

Moses/ Moyse. Moise was a coal merchant/ Peddler.It seems they went to the town of Reims after Metz, then towards Boulogne Billancourt France, where Rose died. I know Moise died circa 1909, but i haven't yet found where and have no idea where him and rose are buried.

I also have Lazard/ Lazare in Paris " 43 rue du caire, 75002 paris" in 1894. After that, nothing. I don't even know if he was married. Nothing.

Thank you for your read and help,

Jessica Christophe ( Name changed by grandad in 1947)

ROSE1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  330.78 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

ROSE1.png

Send e-mail
Tina Ellis

Replies: 74

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:10 pm      Post subject:

Have your tried searching Polish records at jewishgen.org? They have been posting records on their site from Poland for many years. I know there were several synagogues in the Suwalki area, which used to be in the Augustow province. Those records are now online at szukajwarchiwach.pl. What they don't have online, the LDS have at their site: familysearch.org, at any of their facilities in the US and other countries. Some public libraries also have them.

If you need any help with understanding the sites, please feel free to ask your help. Many people would search, but don't want to duplicate your work.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: