PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:47 pm      Post subject: Help reading a birth record - Ignacy Bugaj

We received an email this morning with my 2nd great-grandfather's birth record attached. I've been searching for this record for 30+ years so there is much joy in this house. However, we're having difficulty trying to decipher his mother's maiden name and I wondered if anyone here could help me with that. I'm new to this board and am not sure of the protocol here but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I've never posted and therefore haven't included a file so be patient with me while I try to attach the record. We're looking at the 4th entry which is for Ignacy Bugaj.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Actually, it would be nice to confirm what is written in each section all the way across the record to make sure we're reading each entry correctly.

Thanks so much.

księga.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.8 MB
 Viewed:  8161 Time(s)

księga.jpg

Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:30 pm      Post subject:

Greetings,

It is a page from births book, written in Latin.

Year 1841, Styczen - January (starting in line 2)

Line 4

Styczen, 24, 6 w (wieczor) – January 24th, 6 pm

Pueri legitimi (baby boy legitimate), there is a number 1 – 1 boy, legitimate

Locus Nativitis (place of birth) – Miniezew (? Miniczew ?)

Annus et Dies, Mensis, Baptismi, Infantis (date of Baptism) : Styczen 31 – January 31
Nomen (name of child): Ignacy

Nomen et Cognomen Sacredotis baptismum administratis (name of the person celebrating baptism): (the name written in line 1, ??falkiewicz)

Patris (Father): Marcin Bugaj (? could be Bugay)

Matris (Mother): Zofia Łokietek

Religio Patris Matris : Katolicy – Catholic

Conditio and Profesio Patris (profession of Father): Chałupnik – craftsmen working at home

Nomen et Cognomen Patrinorum (Godparents): Joachim Kortalski
Conditio and Profesio: (cannot read)

==
Elzbieta
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:40 pm      Post subject:

Elzbieta Porteneuve wrote:

==
Elzbieta

Chalupnik.
Send e-mail
sallie789

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:46 pm      Post subject:

Thank you so much!
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:51 pm      Post subject:

Magroski49 wrote:
Elzbieta Porteneuve wrote:

==
Elzbieta

Chalupnik.

No, Gilberto, it is on the very righ of the page, the title is about godparents, and in fact two colums provide name of godfather and name of godmother.
I can read the name of godfather, Joachim Kortalski, but the one of godmother is foggy. Her Last name seems to be also Łokietek, but I do not see her first name.

The Father, Marcin Bugaj is Chałupnik.

==
Elzbieta
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:48 pm      Post subject:

This format of baptismal registers was used in most parishes in the Prov. of Posen (German Poland) beginning about 1820 and continuing through the rest of the century. As Elzbieta wrote, the headings are in Latin but the actual entries are in Polish. The choice of recording the entries in either Latin or in Polish depended upon the priest keeping the records. From my experience, the entries are in Latin much more frequently than in Polish. To verify the meaning of the columns----The first column keeps a running count of the baptisms of the year. The second major column has three subdivisions i.e. Annus et mensis (year and month) Dies (day) Hora (hour) Nativitatis (of birth). The next column is Pueri (boys) and Puellae (girls) and each is divided into sub-columns of legitimi and illegitimi (boys) and legitimae and illegitimae (girls) and indicates whether the child was legitimate or illegitimate. The next column is Locus Nativitatis (Place of birth). The next major column has several subdivisions: Annus et mensis & Dies Baptismi (Year and month and day of Baptism) {The year generally appears only above the first entry on a page} followed by Nomen Infantis (Name of the infant). The next column is Nomen et cognomen sacerdotis baptismum administrantis (The first and last name of the priest administering the baptism. Here very often the priest simply writes the initial of his first name and signs his last name. The next column again has two subdivisions. Nomen et cognomen (First and last name) Patris (of the father) and Matris (of the mother). It is here that the mother's maiden name appears. The next colmmn again has two subdivisions: Religio (religion) Patris (of the father) and Matris (of the mother). The next column Conditio et professio patris (the condition or social status and profession or occupation of the father. The next column again has two subdivisions: Nomen et cognomen (first and last name) and Conditio et professio (social status and profession) Patrinorum (of the sponsors) {Note that patrinorum is literally sponsors and not God parents. Catholic church law does not specify that the sponsors be male and female although custom results in the sponsors being one of each sex. However, nothing stands in the way of the sponsors being two males or two females. Often the priests were not as thorough in entering information about the godparents.} There is another column which does not appear on your scan: Adnotationes utrum gemelli seu quid aliud notatu necessarium (Notations whether they are twins or anything else which is necessary to be noted.) This is a rather open ended column which priests often ignored. However, for entries of baptisms from about 1890 on there often will appear a notation in this column written by another priest recording the marriage of the person who had been baptized and occasionally there will be a notation of confirmation, if the person was confirmed and the priest took the time to enter the information. The reason for the marriage notation is that for the first time in history in 1916 or 1917 all Catholic church laws were codified in a work entitled Codex Juris Canonici (The Code of Canon Law). This code required priests to enter a notation in the baptismal register of marriages contracted by the person who had been baptized. The purpose of this notation was to prevent bigamy in an age where people no longer usually were married and died in the same parish where they were baptized.
A final comment---your second great grandfather was born at 6 p.m. (6w). In Latin entries the abbreviation for morning often is m. (mane=in the morning) post meridiem (after midday for births in the afternoon), v. (vespere=in the evening) and n. (nocte=at night).
Hope this will make you more certain of information found in records using this format.
Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:27 pm      Post subject:

Another quick piece of information---The Poznan Project has a listing for the marriage of Martinus (Marcin) Bugaj and Marianna Marcinkoska in the parish of Kretkow in 1841. The listing for the marriage is 1841#8 and gives Marcin's age as 32 and Maryanna's age as 25 and states that Marcin is the widower of Sophia (Zosia) and Maryanna is the widow of Antoni. It seems that Zosia died of complications from giving birth to Ignacy. This record is available on film #1982269 from the Mormon church.
Dave
sallie789

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:55 pm      Post subject:

Thanks so much for your help everyone! I appreciate the added information Dave. Most of my records are from the Posen Province and it's nice to have everything explained to me. I have used the Poznan Project before and had the listing for Martinus (Marcin) Bugaj but at that time did not know that he was my direct ancestor, although I had guessed it. That's why finding the birth record for Ignacy showing his parents was so exciting for me.

We're hoping to be able to view more records in May when we're in Poland.

Incidentally, my 2nd great grandmother's maiden name is Nowicka. I'm assuming that this is a fairly common Polish name. I'm hoping to find more information on her as well on our trip.
karolina

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:50 am      Post subject:

Welcome "sallie789"
I sent you a private message (pm)
Karolina
alchemista

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:16 am      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
This format of baptismal registers was used in most parishes in the Prov. of Posen (German Poland) beginning about 1820 and continuing through the rest of the century. As Elzbieta wrote, the headings are in Latin but the actual entries are in Polish. The choice of recording the entries in either Latin or in Polish depended upon the priest keeping the records. From my experience, the entries are in Latin much more frequently than in Polish. To verify the meaning of the columns----The first column keeps a running count of the baptisms of the year. The second major column has three subdivisions i.e. Annus et mensis (year and month) Dies (day) Hora (hour) Nativitatis (of birth). The next column is Pueri (boys) and Puellae (girls) and each is divided into sub-columns of legitimi and illegitimi (boys) and legitimae and illegitimae (girls) and indicates whether the child was legitimate or illegitimate. The next column is Locus Nativitatis (Place of birth). The next major column has several subdivisions: Annus et mensis & Dies Baptismi (Year and month and day of Baptism) {The year generally appears only above the first entry on a page} followed by Nomen Infantis (Name of the infant). The next column is Nomen et cognomen sacerdotis baptismum administrantis (The first and last name of the priest administering the baptism. Here very often the priest simply writes the initial of his first name and signs his last name. The next column again has two subdivisions. Nomen et cognomen (First and last name) Patris (of the father) and Matris (of the mother). It is here that the mother's maiden name appears. The next colmmn again has two subdivisions: Religio (religion) Patris (of the father) and Matris (of the mother). The next column Conditio et professio patris (the condition or social status and profession or occupation of the father. The next column again has two subdivisions: Nomen et cognomen (first and last name) and Conditio et professio (social status and profession) Patrinorum (of the sponsors) {Note that patrinorum is literally sponsors and not God parents. Catholic church law does not specify that the sponsors be male and female although custom results in the sponsors being one of each sex. However, nothing stands in the way of the sponsors being two males or two females. Often the priests were not as thorough in entering information about the godparents.} There is another column which does not appear on your scan: Adnotationes utrum gemelli seu quid aliud notatu necessarium (Notations whether they are twins or anything else which is necessary to be noted.) This is a rather open ended column which priests often ignored. However, for entries of baptisms from about 1890 on there often will appear a notation in this column written by another priest recording the marriage of the person who had been baptized and occasionally there will be a notation of confirmation, if the person was confirmed and the priest took the time to enter the information. The reason for the marriage notation is that for the first time in history in 1916 or 1917 all Catholic church laws were codified in a work entitled Codex Juris Canonici (The Code of Canon Law). This code required priests to enter a notation in the baptismal register of marriages contracted by the person who had been baptized. The purpose of this notation was to prevent bigamy in an age where people no longer usually were married and died in the same parish where they were baptized.
A final comment---your second great grandfather was born at 6 p.m. (6w). In Latin entries the abbreviation for morning often is m. (mane=in the morning) post meridiem (after midday for births in the afternoon), v. (vespere=in the evening) and n. (nocte=at night).
Hope this will make you more certain of information found in records using this format.
Dave

Thank you Dave - I sent you a PM about an example of that "other notes" column to see if you might have seen it before. I'd appreciate if you could please check it when you have a minute.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: