PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:52 am      Post subject: Barszcz/borcht spelling/recipe?

Hi, Every Easter my grandmother Agnes Kozik Nawrocki made a clear sour soup that no relative has the recipe for. It was made by fermenting ryw flour in big jars set bya sunny window, for how long I don't remember. It was strained, cooked, and served with hard boiled eggs and kielbasa. I've tried a "white" version from our local Polish merchant. He and his wife have never heard of our "borcht."

We continue our Easter get togethers with pierogies, Easter bread.....but no borcht!

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Tom Linette
Question
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:15 pm      Post subject: Re: Barszcz/borcht spelling/recipe?

linettet wrote:
Hi, Every Easter my grandmother Agnes Kozik Nawrocki made a clear sour soup that no relative has the recipe for. It was made by fermenting ryw flour in big jars set bya sunny window, for how long I don't remember. It was strained, cooked, and served with hard boiled eggs and kielbasa. I've tried a "white" version from our local Polish merchant. He and his wife have never heard of our "borcht."

We continue our Easter get togethers with pierogies, Easter bread.....but no borcht!

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Tom Linette
Question

Hi Tom Linette (and 5 kids?),

I think it's bialy barszcz, white barszcz, also called żurek
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sour_rye_soup

Unless you live in Poland, where you can buy a bottle of a ready to use "zakwas na żurek", you have to do your own.

At gazeta.pl there is forum cooking I like very much, and here a method to prepare "zakwas" (1):
http://forum.gazeta.pl/forum/w,77,18900475,18900713,Re_Zakwas_na_zurek_cholerka.html
and the receipe for the white barszcz with kielbasa and boiled eggs (2):
http://forum.gazeta.pl/forum/w,24121,16813880,16840490,Zurek_autor_Brunosch.html

Another receipe for "zakwas" in Polish with pictures here:
http://www.przyslijprzepis.pl/przepis/domowy-zakwas-na-zurek-z-receptury-dziadka-piekarza

(1):
10 tablespoons rye flour covered with 1.5 glass of spring water (cold). I add a clove of garlic, a few grains English herb and bay leaf. I cover with a napkin.
Every morning and evening, mix with a wooden spoon. After 3-4 days a sourdough is ready to make a soup from it.
It is enough for 3 liters of sour soup.

(2):
1 You boil water + smoked porc + sausage (best white) + 1 bay leaf + English herb (4 grains) + crushed clove of garlic
2 To the boiled water pour a shaken contents of the bottle (first check a drop how acidic it is, then adjust- less if necessary) and slowly mix together.
3 Mixing is necessary, because the mixture rises and likes to boil over.
4 At this point I add the fried onions cooked with smoked bacon cut in small pieces
5 Adding the rest of the spices to adjust taste, and marjoram if you like.
Done.
Served with potatoes, or with bread, and a boiled egg inside.

(3 me, Elzbieta)
I prefere when served with kielbasa cut in slices.

Have a nice cooking!
Elzbieta
linettet

Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:34 pm      Post subject:

Elzbieta,
Thank you for the recipe. I'm going to pass it on to my aunt. I hope this is it. Its been years.

By the way....I have only 2 kids and 2 grand daughters.

Tom
trishsa2
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 110

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:59 pm      Post subject: White Borscht-Zurec

linettet wrote:
Elzbieta,
Thank you for the recipe. I'm going to pass it on to my aunt. I hope this is it. Its been years.

By the way....I have only 2 kids and 2 grand daughters.

Tom

We also add 4-6 dried mushrooms that have been soaked for 30 minutes in warm water. Add them when you add the Borscht to the hot stock.

Trishsa
joymt4050

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:46 pm      Post subject: Borcht

My Grandmother never used recipes for any of the great polish food she made. If I wanted to know how to make something, I literally had to stand over her as she cooked and take notes. That being said, here is what I remember of her Borcht:

First Boil at least 2 Kielbasa rings in large pot with plenty of water. When split, remove sausage and retain the cooking water.
Place uncooked oatmeal in a cheesecloth "sachet" and boil in the cooking water until broth is desired consistancy. Gently squeeze cheese cloth to get all the liquid out, then discard. Add small amount of white vinegar to taste. Add black pepper to taste.
I really couldn't give specific measurements, but I do remember sitting at her kitchen table with my bowl, adding a splash of cream, chopped hard boiled egg, small cubes of ham and sliced keibasa, and savoring every spoonful!

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish cuisine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: