PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:22 pm      Post subject: Rejman, Swiatoniowska, Grzesik

Hello, these are the three surnames I have (so far) for my Polish roots. I am curious about them because as I look at pictures of my fathers brothers and sisters I feel they may not have the "typical" Polish look as they seem to me to be a bit darker. I do come up with almost 30% Balkan ancestry so I am thinking maybe some of them were newcomers to the area from somewhere a bit more southern? I realize these surnames are from the most recent generations and they may not tell me anything about that. I am still trying to get further back every day.
Thank you for any feedback at all.
Linda

dna land.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.76 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

dna land.jpeg

Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:22 pm      Post subject: Re: Rejman, Swiatoniowska, Grzesik

Lmraymond wrote:
Hello, these are the three surnames I have (so far) for my Polish roots. I am curious about them because as I look at pictures of my fathers brothers and sisters I feel they may not have the "typical" Polish look as they seem to me to be a bit darker. I do come up with almost 30% Balkan ancestry so I am thinking maybe some of them were newcomers to the area from somewhere a bit more southern? I realize these surnames are from the most recent generations and they may not tell me anything about that. I am still trying to get further back every day.
Thank you for any feedback at all.
Linda

Hi Linda,

At one time Poland (The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth) was the largest country in Europe and extended from the Baltic sea to the southern border with the Ottoman Empire. The Commonwealth (Rzeczpostpolita Obojga Narodów) was populated by people of various ethnic groups and thus there was no “typical” Polish look. Because of the long and complex relationship between the Ottomans and the Balkan states and due to the fact that the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and the Ottoman Empire bordered each other it would not be surprising for Balkan and Polish (Northern Slavic) DNA to be found in a particular given individual of Polish nationality.

Perhaps the attached map of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth may help to visualize how the DNA connection could arise.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave

Commonwealth in 17th Century.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.41 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Commonwealth in 17th Century.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: