PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 51

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:44 pm      Post subject: Family Search Missing ALL birth towns I need?!?

How can this be? I was told that the collections on Family Search are catalogued by the woj/province the village was in during the 1975-1998 period. I don't know why it took me so long to find the former locations, but it did, and I was all excited that I finally had all the villages I needed with their proper settings, and I was ready to see what microfilms I would like to order for my first FHC trip.

The village of Dołęga was in woj. Rzeszów, according to what I was able to find. Family Search has no records from what I can tell by messing around with the search feature.

The village of Gorzeń Dolny was in woj. Bielsko, and neither that nor searching under Bielsko-Biała pulls up that village.

The village of Zubrzyca Górna was in woj. Nowy Sącz, and I also cannot find that via family search.

The village of Matysówka was in woj. Rzeszów, no luck there.

The village of Grabownica was in woj. Wrocław, no luck there.

I thought I knew how to properly search on the site because I was able to find 2 villages without any problems, Ostrowite and Lipnica Murowana. So I ask you, is common to have the majority of your ancestral towns not be filmed by the LDS church, or am I doing something wrong? I'm actually hoping I'm doing something wrong, because if that many of my ancestral towns were not microfilmed, it's going to be very disheartening. Sad
Send e-mail
Visit poster's website
zolkie

Replies: 58

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:50 pm      Post subject:

Hi Jackie,
You didn't mention what type of records you're searching for, but I will assume that you're interested in birth, marriage and death records which are generally most readily found in church holdings. Again, I'll assume that your ancestor's denomination was Roman Catholic (just playing the odds), so keep that in mind.
Many of the smaller villages belonged to a larger, surrounding parish and the church records for the village are often found under that parish. If you know the parish that the villages belong to, use it in your search. If you don't know the parish (which is probably more common), use a keyword search instead of a place search. Then click on each result and 'view film notes' to see which records are available for the town. Clear as mud? Smile
Having said that, I'm noticing that you'll get results for Dołęga, but the others come back with 'no results'.

Here's a list of the parishes that the villages were associated with:
Gorzeń Dolny --> Wadowice
Zubrzyca Górna -->unable to locate this town. Found a 'Zbylitowska Góra' are you sure about the name?
Matysówka --> Słocina (RC); Zalesie (GC)
Grabownica Sozańska --> Nowe Miasto
Grabownica Starzeńska --> Grabownica

You may be able to find records from the villages in the holdings of the parish, but it means ordering the films and searching record by record.
Best of Luck!
Jeff
JOEP

Replies: 24

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:37 pm      Post subject:

Believe the town is Zubrzyca Górna populated place 49°34' N 19°39' E E M U G Poland 194.4 miles SSW of Warszawa 52°15' N 21°0' E

Joe in Texas
Send e-mail
jackiewisniewski

Replies: 51

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:01 pm      Post subject:

zolkie wrote:
Hi Jackie,
You didn't mention what type of records you're searching for, but I will assume that you're interested in birth, marriage and death records which are generally most readily found in church holdings. Again, I'll assume that your ancestor's denomination was Roman Catholic (just playing the odds), so keep that in mind.
Many of the smaller villages belonged to a larger, surrounding parish and the church records for the village are often found under that parish. If you know the parish that the villages belong to, use it in your search. If you don't know the parish (which is probably more common), use a keyword search instead of a place search. Then click on each result and 'view film notes' to see which records are available for the town. Clear as mud? Smile
Having said that, I'm noticing that you'll get results for Dołęga, but the others come back with 'no results'.

Here's a list of the parishes that the villages were associated with:
Gorzeń Dolny --> Wadowice
Zubrzyca Górna -->unable to locate this town. Found a 'Zbylitowska Góra' are you sure about the name?
Matysówka --> Słocina (RC); Zalesie (GC)
Grabownica Sozańska --> Nowe Miasto
Grabownica Starzeńska --> Grabownica

You may be able to find records from the villages in the holdings of the parish, but it means ordering the films and searching record by record.
Best of Luck!
Jeff

Sorry Jeff! You are correct, I'm looking for Catholic parishes. Zubrzyca Gorna is near the Czech border, currently in gmina Jablonka, powiat Nowy Targ, woj. Malopolskie. The Grabownica I am looking for is currently in gmina Milicz, powiat Milicki, woj. Dolnoslaskie.

Thank you for the parish information though! Can I ask, how were you able to figure that out? I have a book from the PGSA on locating the parish and for some reason it wasn't making sense when I was looking through it.

Jackie
Send e-mail
Visit poster's website
zolkie

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:23 pm      Post subject:

Hi Jackie,

I found all the parish information in the Genealogical Gazetteer of Galicia by Brian Lenius. It's a fabulous resource, but realize that it is based on names and jurisdictions for the 1896 to 1914 time period. Some of the villages/towns no longer exist as independent entities, and some of the parishes may be defunct or have been incorporated into other parishes, but it's a great jumping off point.

I may have confused you regarding Zubrzyca Gorna. I can find it on a current map of Poland, but can't find it in the Gazetteer. I did a second search through the Gazetteer, and I can find a town listed as 'Zubrzycza' but it's location doesn't match the information that you've provided.... so I'm stumped on that one. Perhaps someone can offer additional assistance.
noolvido

Replies: 33

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:51 pm      Post subject:

How did you find the "Genealogical Gazetter of Galicia" ? Is it available at the Mormon library????

zolkie wrote:
Hi Jackie,

I found all the parish information in the Genealogical Gazetteer of Galicia by Brian Lenius. It's a fabulous resource, but realize that it is based on names and jurisdictions for the 1896 to 1914 time period. Some of the villages/towns no longer exist as independent entities, and some of the parishes may be defunct or have been incorporated into other parishes, but it's a great jumping off point.

I may have confused you regarding Zubrzyca Gorna. I can find it on a current map of Poland, but can't find it in the Gazetteer. I did a second search through the Gazetteer, and I can find a town listed as 'Zubrzycza' but it's location doesn't match the information that you've provided.... so I'm stumped on that one. Perhaps someone can offer additional assistance.
zolkie

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:02 pm      Post subject:

Purchased directly from Mr. Lenius, the author. Highly recommend it. Here's a link to the order page.... I've no idea if it still works.

http://www.lenius.ca/GazetteerOrder/GazetteerOrderForm.htm
slovakiaorawa

Replies: 12

Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:27 am      Post subject:

zolkie wrote:
Hi Jackie,

Sorry for quoting a post from 2011. Too late, but still I will reply.

You are not able to find Zubrzyca Gorna in the Genealogical Gazetteer of Galicia because Zubrzyca Gorna was a village in Kingdom of Hungary at the time, not in Galicia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: