PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 141, 142, 143 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 17

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:37 pm      Post subject: Re: Family records in Latin

Lori Love wrote:
I am overwhelmed by the depth of your answer. I have a few questions but they will have to wait until tomorrow. I just want to thank you right away for the fabulous response. Very Happy

I have a few questions, if you don’t mind. What are the 'banns'? I am not familiar with this term.
I see the church in Rogowo. It looks beautiful!
Near the Village of Czewujewo is a church, Kościół Rzymskokatolicki pw. św Wawrzyńca. I am learning how to get records from microfilms and see the film is labeling the actual church. Many of the records I have were sent to me so I don't know which church it is. Is there any reason to assume the marriage was in the church in Rogowo rather than the church closer to their home?
The Latin-English-Polish names list you sent is very helpful. Thanks very much. I have shared it with friends already.
What does, "....with judicial consent granted at Śrem on... " mean? I don't know what Śrem is.
I find the male-female name changes very confusing. The spelling changes are equally confusing. So, if I want to search for the death of the mother of the bride, is her last name Nyczanka or Nyk? Is the new last name of the bride Nysiewicz or is there a female /male variety of that name? Do you know if there is a rule of how these people are listed in official records?
Your family, being from Jarogniewice, is just a bit over 100 km from Rogowo area. Have you traced your roots back that far? Is it a fair statement to say that in days of horse and buggy that people married folks in that geographic range so the probability is high of a connection? I have so many of these records and I don't want to overload anyone with requests but I am attaching another for your magic touch! This record is marked as 'Matthew-Jozef Cielinski’. Again there is name confusion. My one great Grandmother’s maiden name was Cielinski. She arrived with 2 brothers, one had 18 children and the other had 14, with about half being boys, resulting in a small army of families named Cielinski in St. Cloud, Minnesota. I realize the female is supposed to be Cielinska, but no one uses that anymore. In the records from Poland, the name is spelled Ciełęcka. Somewhere, whole branches of distant family is spelling it Zinlinski. My great-great-great grandfather was Jozef Ciełęcka born in 1800. I am assuming this is his birth record. I hope this is readable!
Again, I am thrilled with your assistance. Thanks so very much!

Mathaeu Cielinski-Joseph.tif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.25 MB
 Viewed:  7596 Time(s)

Mathaeu Cielinski-Joseph.tif

Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:32 pm      Post subject: Re: Family records in Latin

Lori Love wrote:
Lori Love wrote:
I am overwhelmed by the depth of your answer. I have a few questions but they will have to wait until tomorrow. I just want to thank you right away for the fabulous response. Very Happy

I have a few questions, if you don’t mind. What are the 'banns'? I am not familiar with this term.
I see the church in Rogowo. It looks beautiful!
Near the Village of Czewujewo is a church, Kościół Rzymskokatolicki pw. św Wawrzyńca. I am learning how to get records from microfilms and see the film is labeling the actual church. Many of the records I have were sent to me so I don't know which church it is. Is there any reason to assume the marriage was in the church in Rogowo rather than the church closer to their home?
The Latin-English-Polish names list you sent is very helpful. Thanks very much. I have shared it with friends already.
What does, "....with judicial consent granted at Śrem on... " mean? I don't know what Śrem is.
I find the male-female name changes very confusing. The spelling changes are equally confusing. So, if I want to search for the death of the mother of the bride, is her last name Nyczanka or Nyk? Is the new last name of the bride Nysiewicz or is there a female /male variety of that name? Do you know if there is a rule of how these people are listed in official records?
Your family, being from Jarogniewice, is just a bit over 100 km from Rogowo area. Have you traced your roots back that far? Is it a fair statement to say that in days of horse and buggy that people married folks in that geographic range so the probability is high of a connection? I have so many of these records and I don't want to overload anyone with requests but I am attaching another for your magic touch! This record is marked as 'Matthew-Jozef Cielinski’. Again there is name confusion. My one great Grandmother’s maiden name was Cielinski. She arrived with 2 brothers, one had 18 children and the other had 14, with about half being boys, resulting in a small army of families named Cielinski in St. Cloud, Minnesota. I realize the female is supposed to be Cielinska, but no one uses that anymore. In the records from Poland, the name is spelled Ciełęcka. Somewhere, whole branches of distant family is spelling it Zinlinski. My great-great-great grandfather was Jozef Ciełęcka born in 1800. I am assuming this is his birth record. I hope this is readable!
Again, I am thrilled with your assistance. Thanks so very much!

Hi Lori,

The record is very legible. I thought that perhaps you find it useful to see the Latin text written out in full. Thus I transcribed the handwritten Latin and then translated the record. Here is the transcription and the translation.

Latin Text: Left Margin: Jaroszewo Sub N(ume)ro 2

Body of Entry: Die 23 Martji Ego Jacobus Wesoloski V(icarius). Z(niniensis) oblatum infantem n(omi)ne Josephum die 21 hora 3 matut(ina) L(aboriosorum)* Mathaei et Mariannae Cielęckich L(egitimorum) C(onjugum) natum filium baptisavi. Patrini** fuere L(aboriosus)* Simon Żur ex Wilczkowo et Catharina Bębenkowa.***
Col. 1 Numerus: 26 (Number for the year)
Col. 2 Filii (Sons)
Col. 2a: Legitimi: Checked (Legitimate)
Col. 2b: Illegitimi: Blank (Illegitimate)

Translation: Left Margin: (Village of) Jaroszewo Under (house) Number 2

Body of Entry: On the 23rd day of March (1800) I, Jakub Wesoloski, vicar of Znin, baptized the presented child by the name of Józef, born on the 21st at the hour of 3 in the early morning of the legitimate marriage of the industrious* Mateusz and Maryanna Cielęcki. The sponsors** were the indudtrious* Szymon Żur from Wilczkowo and Katarzyna Bębenkowa.***

Notes: * laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to designate an individual as a peasant.
**patrini/sponsors: The individuals commonly called godparents in official Catholic Church terminology are officially called “sponsors” and only one sponsor is required. The custom of having a male and a female sponsor for baptism led to the use of the unofficial term “godparents”.
***The suffix -owa on a female’s surname indicates that she was a married woman and means “wife of”. In this case she is the wife of Bębenek.

Attached are birth & baptism records of two siblings of Józef, Wojciech (born 1797---image 1328) and Katarzyna (born 1795---image 1306) as well as the image location info for three others, Paweł (born 1/16/1791---image 1207) Krystof Jan (born 10/23/1787---image 1188), and Bartolomiej (born 8/22/1784---image 1154). The last three are found on film 20582553 Item 11 and the first two on the same film, but Item 13. I thought that they might help to provide a point in time before which to search for the marriage of Mateusz & Maryanna.

To try to answer your questions…
1.) Banns are the three announcements of the intention to marry published prior to the wedding. Their purpose is to make sure that there is no impediment to the marriage (like in the flicks: “If anyone knows of any reason…speak now or forever hold your peace...”) Some non-Catholic denominations also publish banns and in colonial America some town records also contain “publications of intention to marry.” The announcements were once made orally but in these days of widespread literacy most Catholic parishes simply publish the banns in the Sunday bulletin.
2.) The parish in Czewujewo was not established until 1976. In the 19th Century it was a Lutheran church. The building was erected in 1880. Since your ancestors were Roman Catholics they married in the R.C. parish of Rogowo.
3.) Śrem is a town to the southwest of Rogowo. For whatever reason, that must have been the location of the court which had issued the judicial permission. Think of the judicial permission in terms of a marriage license.
4.) Feminine suffixes of surnames can be confusing since in the 18th and 19th Centuries there were quite a number of variations used. Once upon a time I drew up a list for one of my relatives. If I can find a copy I’ll let you know.
5.) Yes, I did trace my Nyk/Nyczak ancestors to the late 1600s in Jarogniewice. However, it is not very likely that there is a connection to your Nyk/Nyka ancestors. It is possible that one or another of my ancestors migrated to the area near Jaroszewo and indeed my great, great-grandfather did so in 1874. However, an early connection is unlikely. His name was Marcin Kajetaniak and his wife was Barbara Nyk/Nyczak. His eldest daughter, my great-grandmother, was born in Jarogniewice in 1855. The family then moved to Będlewo where Barbara died at age 31 in 1865, leaving him with four children under the age of 10. He remarried and eventually moved to Retkowo, which is in the parish of Brzyskorzystew (the neighboring parish just to the north of Żnin). You’ll not find any old records from that parish. The church burned in 1826 and the parish records burned with it so the only records extant are post 1826. Nyk direct ancestors going back from Barbara by generations are: Piotr, Wawrzyniec, Idzi, Szymon (born 1687) and his parents Grzegorz & Anna. All were born, lived, and died in Jarogniewice.
6.) I’m not clear on what you meant when you wrote: “...and see the film labeling the actual church...” All the films I’ve ever seen name the parish in terms of its location.

Attached is a picture of the parish church in the town of Żnin. There are 3 churches in the town. One dates from 1966, but the other two existed there when your ancestors were born. One of them, św. Floriana (St. Florian) was the parish church since it is the one titled “Fara”. Churches with that title were considered the local parish church where more than one church existed in a town.

Please feel free to request translation or to ask any questions you may have. It would be my pleasure to assist you in any way I can.

Dave

1795 Katarzyna.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  450.5 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1795 Katarzyna.jpg

1797 Wojciech.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  978.47 KB

1797 Wojciech.jpg

Kościół_par._pw._św._Floriana,_XIVXV,_XX_Żnin,_(13).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  234.04 KB

Kościół_par._pw._św._Floriana,_XIVXV,_XX_Żnin,_(13).JPG

Lori Love

Replies: 17

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:55 pm      Post subject: Latin translations lead to more family

Hi Dave,
Once again you have outdone yourself! I am assuming you are knowledgeable about the way the different sites work. When I was adding the new people to Family Search, I got an option of what appears to be the same family members already posted. The birth years match. The names match. I can't double check the sources as the information was imported from Legacy.
I have a number of these Latin records sent to me by a person related by marriage who lives in Columbia. It is amazing how the world starts getting more connected all the time! I need to print out all these Latin records and see if I can at least figure out who in them so the translations go in some order of sorts. Thank-you again!
Send e-mail
JDombrowski89

Replies: 40

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:05 pm      Post subject:

Dave,

Looking to see if you can translate this record.

Marriage of Mikołaj Sokołowski and Katarzyna Samborska in Płock, 1818.

Regards,

Justin

F9472B88-0E85-4744-A18C-576B0E54B1AA.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  614.73 KB

F9472B88-0E85-4744-A18C-576B0E54B1AA.jpeg

Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:29 pm      Post subject:

JDombrowski89 wrote:
Dave,

Looking to see if you can translate this record.

Marriage of Mikołaj Sokołowski and Katarzyna Samborska in Płock, 1818.

Regards,

Justin

Hi Justin,

I don’t know what the letters naming the church (C.V.V.) stand for. Everything else is very straightforward.

Hoping this helps,

Dave

Left Margin: Płock
Main Entry: On the first day of the month of February I, Marcin Grodzicki, vicar of the church of ??, after the three banns had been announced beforehand in the presence of the people gathered together to hear the Divine Rites,* and since no canonical or civil impediment had been detected, blessed the marriage contracted between the upright**Mikołaj Sokołowski, a single young man, and Katarzyna Szamborska, a maiden, in the presence of the witnesses Antoni Przędzienski (&) Jan Adamski and others worthy of credence.***

Notes: The name of the church is simply given with letters. I can’t determine to what church they refer.
*Divine Rites = Sunday & Holy Day of Obligation Mass.
**honestos/upright: an adjective used to designate an individual as a peasant. Since the form is plural it describes both the bride and the groom.
***aliis fide dignis/others worthy of credence/belief = credible/trustworthy individuals. Since a marriage had to be contracted before a priest and two additional witnesses the two official witnesses are named and everyone else who was present gets lumped together as “aliis/others”.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:52 am      Post subject: Re: Jan Jackowski Birth Record Translation Request

joejazz wrote:
I thought that I had posted this yesterday, but do not see it. I would very much appreciate the translation of the attached document for my great-uncle's birth. Thanking you in advance. Please excuse if this is a duplicate

Joe,

The records you posted are in Russian and were moved to Russian Records Translations. Check there and you will see them.

Wishing you success,

Dave
Dfzalewski

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:32 pm      Post subject: Translation of Baptism Records

Hello!
I have several documents for my paternal great grandparents but each contain differently spelled information. I thought starting with baptism certificates to be the most accurate? They are in Polish I believe. Can someone translate?

7CFEE1E5-A02D-4CB5-B8DF-B29A1286061F.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  509.66 KB

7CFEE1E5-A02D-4CB5-B8DF-B29A1286061F.jpeg

FAFAA82F-7B78-474C-A021-854F9053B2FC.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  664.75 KB

FAFAA82F-7B78-474C-A021-854F9053B2FC.jpeg

jpiascik

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:58 pm      Post subject:

Hello. These are in Latin and cyrillic. Official church docs were kept in Latin. SE Poland at this time was Galicia, a province of Austria-Hungry. I would assume your ancesters here might be Lemko, Hutsul or Boyko Ukrainian.
Dfzalewski

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:12 pm      Post subject: Where do their last names fit in?

So Demetrius Kymak is his name and Catharine Gida is her name?
jpiascik

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:40 pm      Post subject:

It looks like it. But not sure of "G" in Gida. I can't tell. Check this out for categories: Latin word list https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Latin_Genealogical_Word_List
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:18 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation of Baptism Records

Dfzalewski wrote:
Hello!
I have several documents for my paternal great grandparents but each contain differently spelled information. I thought starting with baptism certificates to be the most accurate? They are in Polish I believe. Can someone translate?

Hi,

Both documents you posted are birth & baptism certificates which were issued years after the events took place. A certificate is information extracted from a parish register---in this case from the baptismal register. The documents certify that the information contained therein is a true and accurate copy of what is found in the register. One is bilingual---Cyrillic and Latin. The other is completely in Latin. In the translation I’ll give the Polish version of the given names followed by the English version.

Here is the first (the bilingual) certificate.

Top: Republic of Poland; Diocese of Przemyśl; District (powiat) of Lesko; Number 22; Province (Województwo) of Lwów; Parish of Wetlina.

The next section states that the register from which the information is extracted is in the parish office in Wetlina and is found in Volume III, page 181.

First Col.: Date of birth, baptism and confirmation: August 31, 1884
Col. 2: House Number (where the birth took place): 66
Col. 3: Name (of person baptized): Dymitr (English: Demetrius); Midwife: 0 (not recorded?)
Col. 4: Religion: Greek Catholic (Eastern Rite Catholic)
Col. 5: Gender: Male
Col. 6: Of the (marital) bed: Legitimate
Col. 7: Parents: (The Father): Michał (Eng. Michael) Kymak, the son of Jakub (Eng. Jacob/James) Kymak and Paraskewy (Eng. Parascheva) nee Szkynda; (The Mother): Anna Kymak, the daughter of Grzegorz (Eng. Gregory) Cykłycz(?) and of Ewa (Eve/Eva) nee Pzytys
Col. 8: Sponsors (aka godparents): Aleksy (Eng. Alexis) Czutak and Maria Łopuch
Notation: Bazyli (Basil) de las Ustianowskyj, the pastor of Smezec(?) baptized and confirmed him.

The bottom statement attests that (signature), the administrator of the parish of Wetlina issued this certificate on April 18, 1938 and attached the parish seal.

The second certificate is more difficult to read due to the repair (tape) and the quality of the scan. If you would kindly try to clean up the image and provide whatever information (especially surnames) you have and post it in the Latin Records Translations section of the forum, I’ll gladly translate tomorrow or Saturday, it as time permits.

Thank you,

Dave

P.S. You'll not find surnames in any Latin word list. Surnames were always entered in the vernacular, not in Latin.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:51 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation of Baptism Records

Dfzalewski wrote:
Hello!

Hi,

Here is the second translation. I hope you find it useful and informative.

Dave

Top:
Diocese:Premyśl; Republic of Poland; Deanery: Cisna; Number: 33; Province (Województwo): Lwów; Parish: Łopinka; County (powiat): Lesko

Certificate of Birth & Baptism

The Greek Catholic parish office of the Greek Catholic Church in Buk attests by this document that in the book of baptisms designated for Buk Volume II, Page 72, Number 6, is found the following:

Date of birth 5.IV.1896, that is the fifth day of April in the year of Our Lord one thousand eight hundred ninety-six
Place of birth: Buk, house number 7
Date of baptism and confirmation: April 6, 1896
Minister of baptism: Waldemar Kobzdaj, pastor of the place
Religion of the person baptized: Greek Catholic
Col. 1: Name of the one baptized: Katarzyna (Eng. Catherine)
Col. 2: Gender: A Girl
Col. 3: (Marital) Bed: Legitimate
Col 4: Parents, their given and surnames, parents (grandparents of the child), religion, state of life, age: (The Father): Jerzy (Eng. George) Gida (next section cannot be read due to damage and repair of certificate but should read “son of… (missing given name) Gida and of Maria Łajsak
(The Mother): Ewa (Eng. Eve/Eva), the daughter of Michał (Eng. Michael) Korzeniewskyj and of Katarzyna (Eng. Catherine) Wasser, farmers in Buk
Col. 5: The sponsors, their names, etc.: Jan (illegible surname), Maria Luczka, the wife of Szymon (Eng. Simon), farmers in Buk
Col. 6: Notations: the midwife, etc.: A non-approved midwife* Katarzyna (Eng. Catherine) Pac….(remainder of the entry in the column is illegible).

Bottom: In testimony of which I sign with my own hand and affirm with the parish seal.
Łopinka, the Fifth Day of April in the Year of Our Lord 1933

Parish seal and signature of pastor who issued the cetificate.

Note: Birth/baptism records in Galicia during the second half of the 19th Century often refer to two categories of midwives, approved/examined, and non-approved/not examined. It appears that approved/examined midwives had demonstrated their knowledge and skills. In other words, they had passed a competency examination and were “licensed”. However, non-examined/non-approved midwives also plied their trade and it does not appear that any penalties were imposed for being “licensed”.
Dfzalewski

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:02 pm      Post subject: A Million Thanks!

Thank you so much Dave. The information is priceless to my family! I am getting a CD version mailed to me from a relative in Florida. If I am able to get better imaging I will let you know for the portions of the certificate that are challenging to decipher.

Warm Regards!

Dana Zalewski
Mzaleska

Replies: 23

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:46 am      Post subject: Help with Latin document

Hello,
First, I want to thank Polish Origins for offering this forum. It's so helpful to have this site to post questions.
My ancestors are in the Mlawa, Wieczfnia Koscielna, Zakrzewo Wielkie area.
My question is: I have an 1808 death record for an ancestor (Antoni Załęski) and following his name are the words that look like "dietis Gasiak". I have since found other records for the same surname, but a different given name, in the same Parafia with those words following the surname. I have also found records for the same surname but with different words following it. The words look like "dietis Glowacz", "dietis Glodek", "Zawady", "Krawczyk". (Under the first "a" in Gasiak there is a diatritical.)
For example:
Antoni Załęski - dietis Gasiak (in Zakrzewo Magna)
Michael Załęski - dietis Gasiak (in Zakrzewo Wielkie)
Joseph Załęski - Gasiak (in Jablonowo)
Joseph Załęski - Krawczyk (in Zaleze)
Andre Załęski - Zawady (in Zaleze)

I have not seen these words used with any other surnames in the records I've searched.
It's been suggested that these words could be a nickname or, the name of a little hamlet the ancestor owned but I have not found any place names such as these.
I'm wondering if all the Załęski surnames with "dietis Gasiak" are related to me since I know for sure the ancestor in the 1807 death record is my 5G grandfather.
Can anyone explain this or offer information?
Thank you all.
Michelle

a Abt 1778 death Adalburtus Zaleski in Zakrzewo Magna GASIAK record-image_3Q9M-CSL5-67X8-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  347.21 KB

a Abt 1778 death Adalburtus Zaleski in Zakrzewo Magna GASIAK record-image_3Q9M-CSL5-67X8-1.jpg

a 1707 Zaleski Krawczk.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  192.88 KB

Description:
 Filesize:  192.88 KB

a 1807 Josef Zaleski GASIAK.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  338.18 KB

a 1807 Josef Zaleski GASIAK.jpg

a 1706 Zaleski Zawady.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  176.02 KB

a 1706 Zaleski Zawady.jpg

Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:57 am      Post subject: Re: Help with Latin document

Mzaleska wrote:
Hello,
First, I want to thank Polish Origins for offering this forum. It's so helpful to have this site to post questions.
My ancestors are in the Mlawa, Wieczfnia Koscielna, Zakrzewo Wielkie area.
My question is: I have an 1808 death record for an ancestor (Antoni Załęski) and following his name are the words that look like "dietis Gasiak". I have since found other records for the same surname, but a different given name, in the same Parafia with those words following the surname. I have also found records for the same surname but with different words following it. The words look like "dietis Glowacz", "dietis Glodek", "Zawady", "Krawczyk". (Under the first "a" in Gasiak there is a diatritical.)
For example:
Antoni Załęski - dietis Gasiak (in Zakrzewo Magna)
Michael Załęski - dietis Gasiak (in Zakrzewo Wielkie)
Joseph Załęski - Gasiak (in Jablonowo)
Joseph Załęski - Krawczyk (in Zaleze)
Andre Załęski - Zawady (in Zaleze)

I have not seen these words used with any other surnames in the records I've searched.
It's been suggested that these words could be a nickname or, the name of a little hamlet the ancestor owned but I have not found any place names such as these.
I'm wondering if all the Załęski surnames with "dietis Gasiak" are related to me since I know for sure the ancestor in the 1807 death record is my 5G grandfather.
Can anyone explain this or offer information?
Thank you all.
Michelle

Michelle,

I think the word is 'dictus' = said, stated, known as

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 141, 142, 143 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 142 of 274

Jump to: