PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:43 pm      Post subject: Seeking Bzdziuch (origins in Gwizdów)

After years of searching for my paternal grandfather's Gwizdowski family, from Gwizdów, Podkarpackie, I found that the name is assumed and he was actually born Bzdziuch.

I've since been able to find his birth record and those of his siblings, a death record for his mother and his grandfather and that's about it. I was also able to get the names of each of his four grandparents from those documents

I've expanded my search to include towns within about a 25 mile radius. Basically, going through page by page, record by record through the scans available at http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/search?q=Gwizdow%20XSKANro%3At.

While I've found numerous listings for Bzdziuch surname, as well as surnames of his mother, Zucha, and grandparents Mączka and Lizak, I just have not been able to tie any of them together beyond his parents and grandparents

Their listings in the Gwizdow record books seem to begin around the mid 1870's and, after about 1909, there are no records available. I wonder if they migrated to Gwizdow, about the time they first appeared in the record books, from some other area.

Geneszukacz lists the highest concentration of Bzdziuch in nearby Lubelskie parish of Puszcza Solska, but those records seem to be microfilm records at LDS, but those don't seem to be available. It is likely that there are some other online resources that I am not aware of?

What I'm looking for are some ideas from those who have more experience of where I might look next. I keep thinking there are resources out there that I am just not familiar with.

Any ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Joe

Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:07 pm      Post subject:

LDS no longer provide microfilms. They make available scanned images, some public internet, others can only be viewed at your local Family History Center. The catalog shows these latter items with a key above a camera image. This applies to the records of Puszcza Solska. These Centers also provide free access to a number of paid subscription sites such as ancestry and myheritage.
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Introduction_to_LDS_Family_History_Centers
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:18 pm      Post subject: Re: Seeking Bzdziuch

JGwizdowski wrote:
After years of searching for my paternal grandfather's Gwizdowski family, from Gwizdów, Podkarpackie, I found that the name is assumed and he was actually born Bzdziuch.

I've since been able to find his birth record and those of his siblings, a death record for his mother and his grandfather and that's about it. I was also able to get the names of each of his four grandparents from those documents

I've expanded my search to include towns within about a 25 mile radius. Basically, going through page by page, record by record through the scans available at http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/search?q=Gwizdow%20XSKANro%3At.

While I've found numerous listings for Bzdziuch surname, as well as surnames of his mother, Zucha, and grandparents Mączka and Lizak, I just have not been able to tie any of them together beyond his parents and grandparents

Their listings in the Gwizdow record books seem to begin around the mid 1870's and, after about 1909, there are no records available. I wonder if they migrated to Gwizdow, about the time they first appeared in the record books, from some other area.

Geneszukacz lists the highest concentration of Bzdziuch in nearby Lubelskie parish of Puszcza Solska, but those records seem to be microfilm records at LDS, but those don't seem to be available. It is likely that there are some other online resources that I am not aware of?

What I'm looking for are some ideas from those who have more experience of where I might look next. I keep thinking there are resources out there that I am just not familiar with.

Any ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Joe

Hi, Joe

Lots of Bzdziuch in Puszcza Polska, though not many with scanned images. In Lubgens: http://regestry.lubgens.eu/viewpage.php?page_id=766

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:36 am      Post subject:

Hi Joe,
Are you sure about the surname Zucha? I only ask because I went to the szukajwarchiwach website and decided to simply use "Bzdziuch" as my search term. If you do that, you will find:
http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/search?q=Bzdziuch&rpp=15&page=1
a whole bunch of stuff that has no images. And yet, there is one interesting detail. One of the items on the list is "Spadek po Agnieszce Bzdziuch (Gwizdowskiej) z Juchów." Maybe your ancestor was a Jucha, not a Zucha.
What do you think of it?
Best,
Sophia
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:06 pm      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
Hi Joe,
Are you sure about the surname Zucha? I only ask because I went to the szukajwarchiwach website and decided to simply use "Bzdziuch" as my search term. If you do that, you will find:
http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/search?q=Bzdziuch&rpp=15&page=1
a whole bunch of stuff that has no images. And yet, there is one interesting detail. One of the items on the list is "Spadek po Agnieszce Bzdziuch (Gwizdowskiej) z Juchów." Maybe your ancestor was a Jucha, not a Zucha.
What do you think of it?
Best,
Sophia

Sophia...wow! You've gotten me to open up my eyes and squint harder! Smile Here's grandfather Jozef's birth record...So is it Zucha, or Jucha/Jochow? I think you are correct, that it is the later and I was not squinting hard enough.

So is the reference translated as The deceased Agnes Bzdziuch (Gwizdowski) from Zuchow? Is Zuchow a place, or a maiden name?

I've seen numerous other scans of Bzdziuch records where an alias is used, such as Andreas Bzdziuch alias Wos. If your find is my g.grandmother, it's the first time I've seen the names Bzdziuch and Gwizdowski tied together. I have a death record for Agnes which I've attached and, now that I squint on the maiden name, it is certainly a J and not a Z. Is that right?

I'll have more questions, I know, but thank you for helping me turn over another rock to look under!

Best,
Joe

Agnes_Bzdziuch_Death_1899_a.jpg
 Description:
Agnes Bzdziuch death record 1899
 Filesize:  526.63 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Agnes_Bzdziuch_Death_1899_a.jpg

Josephus_from_Gwizdow_1880.jpg
 Description:
Josephus Bzdziuch aka Gwizdowski birth record 1880 Jul 7
 Filesize:  101.34 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Josephus_from_Gwizdow_1880.jpg

JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:08 pm      Post subject: Re: Seeking Bzdziuch

Magroski49 wrote:

Hi, Joe

Lots of Bzdziuch in Puszcza Polska, though not many with scanned images. In Lubgens: http://regestry.lubgens.eu/viewpage.php?page_id=766

Gilberto

Gilberto...this is a terrific resource and will keep me busy running searches. Thank you so much for the tip!

Joe

JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:30 pm      Post subject:

Henryk wrote:
LDS no longer provide microfilms. They make available scanned images, some public internet, others can only be viewed at your local Family History Center. The catalog shows these latter items with a key above a camera image. This applies to the records of Puszcza Solska. These Centers also provide free access to a number of paid subscription sites such as ancestry and myheritage.
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Introduction_to_LDS_Family_History_Centers

Thanks, Henry! There is a History Center here in Warrenton, VA which I've tried to catch when they're open. I'll have to pursue this again!

Thank you!
Joe

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:58 pm      Post subject:

Hi Joe,
In both the birth and death records that you just posted, the surname is Jucha. So you can cross "Zucha" off of your search list.
If it helps, when you see the phrase "Agnieszka Bzdziuch z Juchów" you should read that as Agnieszka Bzdziuch nee Jucha, or if you prefer, Agnieszka Bzdziuch (maiden name Jucha). The "z Juchów" part of it is like saying "of the Jucha family" where the word family is understood. It appears to me that the death document you posted is the very same thing that the archive is listing.
Best,
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: