PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 33

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:07 pm      Post subject: Documenting records from Prussian Partition - names

Someone recently asked if records from Posen (Germany/Poland):

Get recorded as the country of Germany or Poland?
Get recorded in the German or Polish name of the town?
Are the names of the people involved recorded in German or Polish?

I do not have any family members from Germany/Poland but I told her that when I translate something from Latin I leave the translation with the person's name in Latin and then title the record with the name in Polish. On all of my Family Group Sheets I use only the Polish version of the name. My Polish family was from Poland as far as I'm concerned - no matter who was occupying at the time. [Her records from Posen were actually written in Polish not German.]

I don't know if I'm right. Can anyone give me the official genealogy rule on this?

Thanks, GerriKos
sheep17
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 123

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:29 pm      Post subject: Documenting records

GerriKos--
I don't know the official genealogy rule. I do know that my grandparents - born in the 1860's in Poland - 2 under German rule, 2 under Russian rule - said that the people in Poland were always Polish --only the government changed.

sheep17
GerriKos

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:03 am      Post subject: Documenting records from occupied areas

Sheep17
Thank you so much for replying. I believe that the people were always "from Poland" no matter who ran the government. I just wanted someone to confirm that - and the statement from your family in Poland will do just fine! Sometimes I just clarify my records with Russia/Poland in case someone is looking up a town (in my case there were 11 towns with the same name in Poland) - they will know to look in the Russian occupied part of Poland. That's how I found the right one.
Thanks again.
GerriKos
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:00 am      Post subject:

Gerri, Leonore,

I had the pleasure to travel to your family places with you both (with Leonore even twice and I am awaiting you Gerri in May for your second visit) and it is great to see you both in this one thread Smile .

Replying to your questions Gerri. As you wrote, even though Polish people were under occupation of different foreign nations they always felt Polish. They had their own language, traditions passed from generations to generation, religion. No matter how all the occupants tried to impose their rules they weren't able to uproot the deep down rooted feeling of their real identity.

Now about rules of recording names. I am not aware of any offical genealogical in this matter. I made my own rule here. I use original names used in the records (Latin, Germans). While doing "translation" (written or oral) of the names to Polish or English you can always find equivalent of the names recorded in the official documents. But to avoid potential ambiguity I use the original versions of recorded names.
Send e-mail
GerriKos

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:51 am      Post subject: Documenting Records from Prussian Partition - names

Hi Zenon,

I am so excited about coming back !!

Thank you so much for replying. So it is good to keep the name as it appears on the original document whether translating Latin, German or Polish. When translating a document to English, still keep the name as it appears on the record. However, if I have a name, for example, that is in Latin on the birth record and in Polish (or German) on the marriage record, I would make the name Polish (or German) on the Family Group Sheet in my Family TreeMaker program just to keep the name consistent. My hope is that someone 50 years from now will be able to read it.

See you soon.

Gerri
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: