PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 22

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:39 pm      Post subject: Forced labour in austria

Hi there,

Through military records, I have established that my grandfather was sent from Warsaw to Austria for 5 years for forced labour. I have been told that there are German records of the names of people who did force labour but have had no success finding anything. Has anyone been able to find anything similar to this?

Thanks
Sarah
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:42 am      Post subject: Re: Forced labour in austria

sarahf3667 wrote:
Hi there,

Through military records, I have established that my grandfather was sent from Warsaw to Austria for 5 years for forced labour. I have been told that there are German records of the names of people who did force labour but have had no success finding anything. Has anyone been able to find anything similar to this?

Thanks
Sarah

Sarah,

Have you tried this site: http://straty.pl/index.php/en/szukaj-w-bazie ? Two of my maternal grandfather’s nephews, who lived near Włocławek, were taken for forced labor during WWII. Another nephew was in the 14th (Kujawy) Infantry Regiment in September of 1939. His unit held out until September 17 and he was captured on September 20, sent to prisoner of war camps and on February 11, 1943 was sent to Buchenwald Concentration Camp where he died on February 20. All the above info was found on the above site.

Wishing you success,

Dave
krystynawade

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:18 am      Post subject: Re: Forced labour in austria

sarahf3667 wrote:
Hi there,

Thanks
Sarah

Hi Sarah

My father was in Buchenwald and my mother was forced labor in Germany. I had no information regarding either of my parents except for what my mother told me regarding her war years, my father never spoke of his time in the camp. A few years ago I was looking at a site regarding the Buchenwald Concentration camp. On that site was a link to the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC. I submitted a query with both my parents names and I received information back which showed particulars of my father in Buchenwald ie when he went in, his number etc. I also received information that showed my mother was taken from Poland in 1941 to Germany. They also provided me with copies of their immigration to Australia in 1950. This was more information that I had ever had for either of my parents. The process took over 12 months from my query but the information received was worth the wait. Here is a link to the museum https://www.ushmm.org/remember/the-holocaust-survivors-and-victims-resource-center/international-tracing-service/submitting-a-request-for-research . Hopefully they can help you.

I have a query and does anybody know how or where I can obtain birth certificates for both of my brothers. They were born in the displaced camps in 1946 and 1947 in Holzminden and Druette. Any help would be appreciated.

Krystyna Wade
Brisbane Australia
Stefanie

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:16 pm      Post subject: Forced Labor In Austria

Thank you, Dave (dnowicki), for posting the link to straty.pl. I would not have found it on my own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: