PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 143, 144, 145 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 66

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:41 pm      Post subject: sorry - Tech difficulties

Sorry, I was on different computer

309-Joannis Tobias & Rosalia Rusakiewicz M 1862 zoom.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  517.57 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

309-Joannis Tobias & Rosalia Rusakiewicz M 1862 zoom.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:29 am      Post subject: Re: Request for help with baptism in Latin

violet wrote:
Hi,

It's nice to be here, I have been reading through posts and have learned so much! Here is my situation: I am a hobby genealogist who is working on a friend's family tree. Their great-grandfather, Arkadiusz Karaskiewicz, was from Ladek and immigrated to England in the early 20th century. I found his baptism certificate online but what is different about this certificate is that it appears to be a certification created in 1908 of a baptism that took place in 1878.

I have attempted to translate the document on my own (using other translations from this forum) but am stuck on certain words and names. Here is my attempt:

In the year of our Lord 1878 day 13 of January, I, Maximilianus, curate of the Ladek parish baptized the baby named Arcadium (BLANK) born of the same month in the tenth morning hour the son of (BLANK) and (BLANK) of (BLANK) legitimately married Karaskiewicz. (BLANK) (BLANK) of people in Ladek. The sponsors/godparents were Paulus (BLANK) and Agnes (BLANK).

(BLANK) in Ladek day 24 July 1908 (BLANK)

(BLANK) (BLANK) parish curate Ladek

Any word that I have substituted with the word "BLANK" is what I'm stuck on. Also, I'm not sure I translated everything else correctly to begin with.

I appreciate whatever help is available, thank you so much in advance!

Violet

Hi Violet,

The document is typical of many certificates of birth and baptism. The major difference between this certificate and some other certificates is that this one is completely handwritten in paragraph style whereas others use a printed fill-in-the-blanks format. The information originally was entered into the parish baptismal register. The data was extracted from the register and issued as a certificate. A certificate could be issued at any time after the event took place. Usually a person would request a certificate when that person wanted to marry or needed civil proof of birth for some other reason.

You did a good job translating the Latin. However, the certificate does contain some Latin idioms which can be a bit tricky to put into good English. A good example is the phrase “de gentium”, which can mean “of the people”. However, the word gens, gentis had a more specific meaning which can be translated “of the family/clan”. As an example, Julius Caesar belonged to the Julian gens (family/clan) and his successor, Augustus, belonged to the Octavian gens (family/clan). In the certificate the word is to be construed with Karaskiewicz and means “of the family of Antoni and Karolina Karaskiewicz.

Given names in the document will be given in their Polish version with the English version in parentheses. I am not sure of some surnames as written in the certificate.

I hope that both you and your friend find the translation helpful.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Here is the translation.

Top: Certificate of Birth and Baptism

Left Margin: Lądek #10
Body of Certificate: On the 13th day of January in the Year of Our Lord 1878, I, Maksymian (Maximilian) (surname illegible due to damaged document), the curate of the parish of Lądek, baptized an infant by the name of Arkadiusz Franciszek (Arcadius Francis), born on the 9th day of the same month at the 10th hour in the morning, the son of the legitimate marriage of Antoni (Anthony) and Karolina (Caroline) nee Brzuskiewicz(?), sowers* (or) shoemakers* (&) farmers of the Karaskiewicz family in Lądek. The sponsors were Paweł (Paul) Formziński(?) and Agnieszka (Agnes) Marcinkowska.
Given in Lądek on the 24th day of July 1908.

Parish seal & signature: Rafal (Raphael) P??cholski, curate of the parish of Lądek.

Note: It is difficult to be certain of one letter due to the priest’s handwriting. The word is found in the fifth line of the body of the certificate and appears to be either “satorum” or “sutorum”, both of which are the Genitive Plural forms of two legitimate Latin words. If the Latin is “satorum” (from sator, satoris, m. sower) then the occupation was “sowers”. If the Latin is “sutorum” (from sutor, sutoris, m. shoemaker), then the occupation was “shoemakers”. Since they were also farmers (agricolarum) I would opt for “sowers”. Often individuals farmed for themselves but also did service for the major landowner. It is quite possible that Antoni farmed his own fields and also was a sower for the landowner. The other occupation, shoemaker, is also possible but seems less likely.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:43 am      Post subject: Re: sorry - Tech difficulties

Kurt1322 wrote:
Sorry, I was on different computer

Kurt,

Here is the translation of the marriage record you posted.

Wishing you continued success,

Dave

Col. 1: N(ume)rus Serialis = Number in order (for the year): Lacking
Col. 2: Year (at top):
Dies et Mensis: Day and Month (of marriage): August 4, 1862
Col. 3: Sponsus = Groom
Col. 3a: N(ume)rus Domus = House Number: From 36 to 153
Col. 3b: Ejus ac parentum nomen, cognomen atque conditio; item ejus nativitatis locus et habitationis = His and his parents’ first & surname and condition/state of life/occupation; at the same time his place of birth and residence: Jan Tobias a recently discharged soldier* , by profession a shoemaker, the son of the legitimate marriage of the late Daniel and the late Antonina nee Wagner, a shoemaker from Srebi???, Latin Rite Catholics
Col. 3c: Religio = Religion
Col. 3c Subdivision 1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 3c Subdivision 2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
Col. 3d Subdivision 1: Caelebs = Bachelor: Checked
Col. 3d Subdivision 2: Aetas = Age: 30 & 1/2
Col. 3d Subdivision 3: Viduus = Widower: Blank
Col. 4: Sponsa = Bride
Col. 4a: Ejus ac parentum nomen, cognomen atque conditio; item ejus nativitatis locus et habitationis = Her and her parents’ first & surname and condition/state of life/occupation; at the same time her place of birth and residence: Rozalia Russakiewicz, the daughter of the legitimate marriage of the late Józef Russakiewicz, an iron worker/blacksmith from Mosty, and of the late Anna nee Klob, townspeople of Mosty, Latin Rite Catholics
Col. 4b: Religio = Religion
Col. 4b Subdivision 1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b Subdivision 2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
Col. 4c Subdivision 1: Caelebs = Bachelorette: Checked
Col. 4c Subdivision 2: Aetas = Age: 23
Col. 4c Subdivision 3: Vidua = Widow: Blank
Col. 5: TESTES Eorum = WITNESSES (and) Their
Col. 5a: Nomen et Cognomen = First and Surname: Jacek (Hyacinth) Tabor; Filip (Phillip) Łukacz
Col. 5b: Conditio = Condition/state of life/occupation: Innkeeper; Mayor of the community of Mosty.

Notation: Certificate of baptism of the groom from the parish office of the Latin Rite parish of Ostrów dated July 11, 1862 Number 24. Consent for the marriage for the underage bride Rozalia granted by the orphans’ court** at the judicial district of Mosty dated July 23, 1862 Number 1812.

I, Michał Korzmianski(?) blessed their marriage.

Notes: * Jan completed his military service and was discharged from active duty. That he served in the military accounts for his being at the high end of age for a first marriage.
**The “Instantia pupillaris/orphans’ court was an instution which had jurisdiction over the care of orphans and minors.
Kurt1322

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:48 am      Post subject: Thank you!

I appreciate your help very much!-I have many more from this parish to post in order to get to the other towns to search. I am trying not to be selfish and overload or overwork you guys. I most certainly plan to contribute to your team for all the help.

Thank you so much!
Kurt
violet

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:34 am      Post subject:

Hi Dave,

I simply cannot thank you enough, this is more information that I could have ever hoped for! My friend will indeed find this helpful but in all honesty, as the hobby genealogist of the two, I'm the one who's become obsessed to unhealthy degrees with the Latin document in question. Smile

The Karaskiewicz who was baptized (Arkadiusz) listed his father as a "cattle dealer" on his marriage certificate (issued in England in 1909) so your guess at "sowers" is right on the money.

Once again, thank you so much, I am very grateful for your time and effort.

Violet
Kurt1322

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:49 am      Post subject: Translation Request

Could I please get assistance with the translation of these documents?-----Thank you very much!

1896-Amelia Tobiasz & Bus M-471 crop.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  765.39 KB

1896-Amelia Tobiasz & Bus M-471 crop.jpg

1860-261-Josephi Illg son of Rozalia crop.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  631.59 KB

1860-261-Josephi Illg son of Rozalia crop.jpg

1827-Joseph Rusakiewicz & Anna Klob M-687 crop.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  797.72 KB

1827-Joseph Rusakiewicz & Anna Klob M-687 crop.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:27 am      Post subject: Re: Translation Request

Kurt1322 wrote:
Could I please get assistance with the translation of these documents?-----Thank you very much!

Kurt,

Here are the two marriage records. The birth record will follow in the near future.

Dave

Bus-Tobiasz Marriage

Col. 1: N(ume)rus Serialis = Number in order (for the year): 1
Col. 2: Year (at top): 1896 The town of Mosty Wielkie
Dies et Mensis: Day and Month (of marriage): February 9, 1896
Col. 3a: N(ume)rus Domus = House Number: 76
Col. 3b: Ejus ac parentum nomen, cognomen atque conditio; item ejus nativitatis locus et habitationis = His and his parents’ first & surname and condition/state of life/occupation; at the same time his place of birth and residence: Piotr Paweł, two given names, Buś, an iron worker/blacksmith, the son of the marriage of Antoni Buś and of Katarzyna nee Ruszczyńska, born in Gzo??ska and residing in Mosty Wielkie
Col. 3d Subdivision 1: Caelebs = Bachelor: Checked
Col. 3d Subdivision 2: Viduus = Widower: Blank
Col. 3d Subdivision 3: Aetas = Age: 24
Col. 4a: Ejus ac parentum nomen, cognomen atque conditio; item ejus nativitatis locus et habitationis = Her and her parents’ first & surname and condition/state of life/occupation; at the same time her place of birth and residence: Emilia Wiktoria, two given names, Tobiasz, the daughter of the marriage of Jan Tobiasz, a shoemaker, and of Rozalia nee Rosakiewicz, born in Christino(?), residing in Mosty Wielkie
Col. 4c Subdivision 1: Caelebs = Bachelorette: Checked
Col. 4c Subdivision 2: Vidua = Widow: Blank
Col. 4c Subdivision 3: Aetas = Age: 23
Col. 5: TESTES Eorum = WITNESSES
Col. 5a: Nomen et Cognomen = First and Surname: Jan Jaeger, a woodworker (&) Franciszek Sor???nberg, an estate manager

Notation: After Baptismal Certificate(s) were provided, the three proclamations of the banns were made and since no impediment was detected and everything which needed to be observed was observed, I (illegible name), pastor of the place, blessed the marriage.

Russakiewicz-Klub Marriage

Col. 1: N(ume)rus Serialis = Number in order (for the year): Lacking
Col. 2: Year (at top): 1827
Dies et Mensis: Day and Month (of marriage): February 18, 1827
Col. 3a: N(ume)rus Domus = House Number: 124
Col. 3b: Ejus ac parentum nomen, cognomen atque conditio; item ejus nativitatis locus et habitationis = His and his parents’ first & surname and condition/state of life/occupation; at the same time his place of birth and residence: Józef Russakiewicz, an iron worker/blacksmith, the legitimate son of Jan Russakiewicz, an iron worker/blacksmith from Gryolanie(?) et of Agnieszka
Col. 3d Subdivision 1: Aetas = Age: 23
Col. 3d Subdivision 2: Caelebs = Bachelor: Checked
Col. 3d Subdivision 3: Viduus = Widower: Blank
Col. 4a: Ejus ac parentum nomen, cognomen atque conditio; item ejus nativitatis locus et habitationis = Her and her parents’ first & surname and condition/state of life/occupation; at the same time her place of birth and residence: Anna Klob, daughter of the late Jan Klob, a cooper from Mosty and of Anna Herz(?)
Col. 4b: Religio = Religion
Col. 4c Subdivision 1: Aetas = Age: 23
Col. 4c Subdivision 2: Caelebs = Bachelorette: Checked
Col. 4c Subdivision 3: Vidua = Widow: Blank
Col. 5: TESTES Eorum = WITNESSES (and) Their
Col. 5a: Nomen et Cognomen = First and Surname: Kazimierz Wysocki (&) Teodor Haraszkiewicz
Col. 5b: Conditio = Condition/state of life/occupation: Innkeeper; Noble* from Mosty (&) a cabinet maker from Mosty.

Notation: Józef Witkowski, the curate, blessed (the marriage). The consent of the lord of Butyny(?) for the groom granted on February 17, 1827 and the consent of the lord of Mosty which was granted by the minors’ and orphans’ court for the bride on February 17, 1827 is found in the parish acts regarding marriage for 1827 under the letter H.
Kurt1322

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:37 am      Post subject: Thank you!

Thanks Dave!
crispm28
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 133

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:40 pm      Post subject: Marriage - Bialek_Mondel

Hello, I would greatly appreciate a translation of this record. I believe this to be marriage of my 2X great grandparents.
Jan Bialek and Agnieszka Mondel. Thank you in advance.
Christine

Bialek_Mondel Jan_Agnieszka m..JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  410.95 KB

Bialek_Mondel Jan_Agnieszka m..JPG

treich

Replies: 167

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:52 pm      Post subject: Translation Request

Can the attached be translated? I am thinking it is my great-great-great grandmother's baptism record. Thanks

1799 Birth.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.36 KB

1799 Birth.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:52 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation Request

Kurt1322 wrote:

Kurt.

Here is the birth & baptism. Hope it helps your research.

Dave

Col. 1: Dies Nativitatis = Day of birth: 27
Col. 2: Dies Baptismi = Day of Baptism: 29
Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number: 153
Col. 4: Nomen = Name (of person baptized): Józef
Col. 5: Religio = Religion
Col. 5a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 5b: Acatholica = Non Catholic: Blank
Col. 6: Sexus = Gender
Col. 6a: Puer = Boy: Checked
Col. 6b: Puella = Girl: Blank
Col. 7: Thori = Bed
Col. 7a. Legitimi = Legitimate: Blank
Col. 7b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Checked
Col. 8: Parentes = Parents
Col. 8a: Nomen = Name: The mother of the child: Rozalia Russakiewicz the daughter of the marriage of the late Józef Russakiewicz, an iron worker/blacksmith from Mosty. And of the late Anna nee Klob, Latin Rite (Catholics)
Col. 8b: Conditio = State of Life/Occupation: Bachelorette, town dweller
Col. 9: Patrini = Sponsors
Col. 9a: Nomen et Cognomen = First and Surname: Józef Russakiewicz, Karolina Klob
Col. 9b: Conditio = State of Life/Occupation: Iron worker/blacksmith in Reklima(?); a maiden

Notation 1: Jan Dobiasz, a shoemaker from Mosty, the son of the marriage of the late Daniel and the late (missing given name) nee Wagner, Latin Rite Catholics, acknowledged in the presence of the assisting witnesses that he is the natural father of this child and instructed that it so be entered in the Birth & Baptism Register.
Those assisting: Jacenty Stepok??a, townman of Mosty; Maryanna Russakiewicz, the wife of Józef, an ironworker/blacksmith.
Notation 2: The midwife was Anastazja Studzinska
Notation 3: Michał Kuzominski baptized (him).
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:40 am      Post subject: Re: Marriage - Bialek_Mondel

crispm28 wrote:
Hello, I would greatly appreciate a translation of this record. I believe this to be marriage of my 2X great grandparents.
Jan Bialek and Agnieszka Mondel. Thank you in advance.
Christine

Hi Christine,

Based on the number of words in the marriage record one would expect to find a substantial amount of significant genealogical information contained therein. That is not the case. The lines which begin with “Ego” and end with “Voycinensis” contain the titles of the priest who blessed the marriage---something genealogically irrelevant. (I’ll not bother translating his titles.) The lines beginning with “praemissis”and ending with “Canonico” are simply legal housekeeping. A few bits of useful information follow within more legal housekeeping. Anyway, here is the translation minus the priest’s titles.

With the hope that you find it useful,

Dave

Top: From the village of Woycin (Wojcin)
Body of record: On the 18th day of the month of February in the Year of Our Lord 1817, I, Mateusz Lisiecki, Canon…etc....Curate of Woycin/Wojcin, after the three banns had been announced on Sundays before the People gathered to hear the Divine Rites (i.e. Sunday Mass), and since no Canonical impediment had been discovered, blessed the marriage legitimately contracted between the industrious* Jan Białek, a single young man, twenty-one years of age, and Agnieszka Mondelonka**, a maiden, seventeen years of age, both from the village of Woycin/Wojcin, parishioners of this place, with the consent of the mothers of the newlyweds, as well as after having heard their mutual consent regarding the present marriage, in the presence of the witnesses, the industrious* Stanisław Dziuba and Tomasz Mondel as well as other trustworthy inhabitants of the village of Woycin/Wojcin.

Notes: * laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to denote an individual as a peasant.
**The suffix -onka was used to denote a single woman...”the daughter of Mondel”.
crispm28
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 133

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:35 pm      Post subject: Bialek_Mondel marriage

Dave, Thank you for translating this document so quickly. I was hoping to get names of their parents but what I have now is still more than I had before.
Christine
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:59 am      Post subject: Re: Translation Request

treich wrote:
Can the attached be translated? I am thinking it is my great-great-great grandmother's baptism record. Thanks

Hi,

Here is the translation of the baptismal record.

Hope you find it helpful.

Dave

Top: Zbionek

Body of entry: In the year as above, on the 14th day of July, I, who (is named) above, baptized an infant by the name of Helen, the daughter of the legal marriage of the Non-Catholic upright* Jakub and Helen Gerek**. The sponsors were the upright Krystian Zerman(?) and Anna Gorykowa***, Non-Catholic parishioners.

Notes: * honestus/upright: an adjective usually used to describe a farmer from a village or small town.
**The ending “ow” on a Polish surname is the Genitive Plural and agrees in Case with the Latin Genitive Singular given names of the parents. If this surname is following the usual rules of Polish usage, the Nominative form of the name should be Gerek.
***The suffix -owa indicates “wife of...”
Kurt1322

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:34 pm      Post subject: Translation help Please?

Could someone please be so kind as to assist me with this translation of Marriage record for Andream kostecki? sorry for the double pic. iI don't know how to delete.

IMG_7458.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.34 MB

IMG_7458.JPG

IMG_7456.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  440.63 KB

IMG_7456.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 143, 144, 145 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 144 of 274

Jump to: