PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 73

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:39 pm      Post subject:

Zenon:
It wouldnt let me scan anymore documents.It basically showed Helena first time coming to America when she was 9. It shows what I believe as the place of Birth, LEVIA
????
Take care and have a good night. I deeply appreciate your help; look forward to seeing what you think about the place of birth.
Brandy

Last edited by violin75 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:12 am      Post subject:

Good morning Smile ,

The scans confirm that we are in correct localization in area of Szczucin, Dąbrowa Tarnowska.

I have no idea what is Levia. This is not Polish sounding word...
Send e-mail
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:33 am      Post subject:

I believe this is the manifest that Brandy had trouble uploading. It shows the arrivial of sisters Mary and Helena Makuch aboard the ship Lucania on 20 OCT 1906.

Makuch, Helena Arrival 20 OCT 1906.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.8 KB
 Viewed:  8102 Time(s)

Makuch, Helena  Arrival 20 OCT 1906.jpg

Zenon

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:45 am      Post subject:

It says "Leka". When we take into account the other sources this is most probably about Łęka Szczucinska.
Send e-mail
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:48 pm      Post subject:

Hi Brandy,
I was wondering if you have learned much about your grandmother's viilage Łęka Szczucińska. I saw that Zenon told you it was part of the parish Szczucin and Dąbrowa Tarnowska is the biggest town.
What have you found in the church records? -Shellie
violin75

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:56 pm      Post subject:

Good Afternoon:

Well, I have done research on the films and they have many smaller towns like Odmet and many others(off the top of my head- I can get the other towns later for you) but very little on Leka, mostly in the earlier records. I also found out that it was an area that had a big Jewish community and it was affected by the war a great deal.

In the records, I did find my ggrandfather Jozef Pietruska (his mother maiden name, his father was Jan Piotrowski- he was born illegitimate according to the church records) After he came to America, he took his fathers surname. His mother is apart of the Jurkowski and Pietruska family in Szczucin. This was a great find that I was not expecting.

I saw in the records some Makuch and Glud families but they are not apart of mine that I know of right now! Stanislaw Makuch was Helena Makuch's father and her mother was Katarzyna Glud(spelled Glo'd in the records)<I cant access my Polish keyboard at this time, so please excuse the letters!
In the records it has a father Glod and a mother Makuch but nothing is matching up.
There a couple of other families with the names but I am stuck!

I am now wondering if the family was Jewish because the Arrival record is so distinct listing the city, town and county and there are others with the surname but they are not there, so I wonder if it is because they were Jewish? I am not sure, it is a guess because of the large Jewish population in the area!

I am open to anything and I would really love to find my ggrandmother and her family; I feel so drawn to find her.

Currently, I have looked for more records to Leka Szczucinska but I have already ordered them, so I have started to order records from other towns that are similar to Leka or Leki. These records wont be in for a few weeks, I wish I could just go to the church and ask...Can I please view the records!

Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Wink

Last edited by violin75 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zenon

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:20 am      Post subject:

Hi Brandy,

violin75 wrote:

I am now wondering if the family was Jewish because the Arrival record is so distinct listing the city, town and county and there are others with the surname but they are not there, so I wonder if it is because they were Jewish? I am not sure, it is a guess because of the large Jewish population in the area!

The surnames, Makuch, Piotrowski, Pietruszka (literally in Polish "parsley") and Głód (literally in Polish "hunger"), sound Polish, not Jewish. Aside from that, if you found any records in Roman Catholic records they had to be Catholics.

"violin75 wrote:
Currently, I have looked for more records to Leka Szczucinska but I have already ordered them, so I have started to order records from other towns that are similar to Leka or Leki

I think that you are looking in correct "Łęka Szczucińska". First, you were finding the same surnames already in these parish books. Second, look at the maps of "your" surnames distribution Dąbrowa Tarnowska county, especially for Makuch: http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/makuch.html and Głód:
Głód: http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/g%25C5%2582%25C3%25B3d.html .

violin75 wrote:
These records wont be in for a few weeks, I wish I could just go to the church and ask...Can I please view the records!

Well, this is probably the best option SmileExclamation A few weeks ago I had chance to visit Szczucin with my guest Aleksandra. We met a nice young priest who was open and not only allowed us to look through Szczucin parish records but also was actively helping us in the search.
We were looking there for a very specific record in hope to find "correct" parish where Aleksandra's ancestor was born. Our trip with Aleksandra and her husband is described in Forefathers Traces Tours Blog: http://blog.polishorigins.com/ . Part 1: Arrival in the old Galicia, my grandparents homeland. , part 2: The long journey and unsolved mystery. .
Send e-mail
violin75

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:39 pm      Post subject:

Hello Zenon:
Thank you for replying to my message.
I am going to view the microfilm right now,it came in!!!! I will let you know what happens tonight when I return. I hope I find something. Your message has given me hope.

I have not found any of my family with the last name Makuch in the records but I have found a couple of people with that last name in the town.
I did find my Pietruszka people in Szczucin!!!! I found them while looking for Makuch, it was so amazing!
So, I am still looking for my ggreat grandmother. I will look closely at all the maps and things you posted tonight.
Thanks once again,
Brandy

Was there census records in Poland like in America? If so, do you know how I can access them? I was thinking this might help me find them! Smile

Last edited by violin75 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
violin75

Post Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:32 pm      Post subject:

Good afternoon:
Well, I wanted to give an update about the microfilm that came in on the 9th. I ordered the microfilm 1921022. It is of parafja D?browa Tarnowska includes towns D?browa,Ogbrowa and a few others.
There were no Makuch, not one!!!!

So, I ordered two more hoping to get lucky!
Here are the two I ordered: Births for Borki, D?browa Tarnowska#1958427
births,marriages,deaths for parafja D?browa Tarnowska, Krakow; #1900557
In the past I have also ordered Wo?a Szczucinska #1958428 and others.
*The question if I may ask is: am I ordering microfilms of the towns that are around Szczucin (??ka Szczucinska)????? I have looked at maps but from your expertise do you think I am looking in the right direction????
Many Thanks and Blessings,
Brandy

Last edited by violin75 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zenon

Post Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:41 am      Post subject:

Brandy,

Have you had chance to check all possible records from Szczucin parish (Dabrowa Tarnowska county) where Łęka Szczucińska belonged Question
Send e-mail
violin75

Post Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:32 am      Post subject:

Zenon:

Good Afternoon Zenon! Yes, I have checked all the microfilms except 2. These two are in the years of 1748-1784 and 1800-1845. My birth record I need is 1897. It is possible her father Stanislaw could be in the 1845 births but I doubt it. I could order it?

I have ordered from Szczucin Parafja:
1786-1866 Szczucin #1898356
1867-1903 Szczucin #1898357
1856-1935 (Delatowice,Laskowka,Odmet, Wojcina) #1982993
1859-1995 (same towns as above) #1983004

I have also ordered microfilms from other parishes too.

Have a wonderful day!
Brandy

Last edited by violin75 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zenon

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:15 am      Post subject:

Brandy,

Have you checked also marriage records? We know from all the documents that Leka, Szczucin, Dabrowa county, Austria, was the place of last residence of Mary Makuch. We don't know if she was born there, but that she lived there. It is also possible that she got married and moved to Leka to her husband from other parish..?
Send e-mail
alfspt

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:12 am      Post subject: microfilm

Oh my. How can you order microfilm from the ledgers in Szczucin. I am looking for records from the Delestowice parish for the names Starodaj, Matuszczak and Grzywacz.Had the opportunity to stop at the church in Delestowice in 8/16 however the priest was quite obstructionist even though I had a translator. Would not allow me to look at records. Also stopped at the church in Szczucin and the older priest allowed us after much pleading 1 hr to look through the ledgers. I would like to get the microfilms so I can dig deeper and have some time. Please offer any suggestions or specifics for how to go about this. Much appreciated.
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:55 am      Post subject: Re: microfilm

alfspt wrote:
Oh my. How can you order microfilm from the ledgers in Szczucin. I am looking for records from the Delestowice parish for the names Starodaj, Matuszczak and Grzywacz.Had the opportunity to stop at the church in Delestowice in 8/16 however the priest was quite obstructionist even though I had a translator. Would not allow me to look at records. Also stopped at the church in Szczucin and the older priest allowed us after much pleading 1 hr to look through the ledgers. I would like to get the microfilms so I can dig deeper and have some time. Please offer any suggestions or specifics for how to go about this. Much appreciated.

Hi,

Family Search no longer rents films because they are in the process of digitizing all their holdings. However, the films for the area of interest to you have been digitized and can be viewed online with restrictions. The restriction is that you must view the images at an LDS Family History Center or an affiliate library.

Here is a link: https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&placeId=67334&query=%2Bplace%3A%22Poland%2C%20Krak%C3%B3w%2C%20Szczucin%20(D%C4%85browa%20Tarnowska)%22%20%2Bavailability%3AOnline&subjectsOpen=616400-50
and here is the restriction notice: Images Available

To view these images you must do one of the following:

Access the site at a family history center.
Access the site at a FamilySearch affiliate library.

Wishing you success,

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: