PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:18 pm      Post subject: Szembruk marriage

Hello, I have recently located the names of a pair of g-g-grandparents. They come from what I believe to be Szembruk [ˈʂɛmbruk] (German: Groß Schönbrück) a village in the administrative district of Gmina Rogóźno, within Grudziądz County, Kuyavian- Pomeranian Voivodeship, in north-central Poland Germany. Their names are Bernard and Eva Svantkowski (as spelled on ship manifest) They were both born in 1863. Arrived in the US in 1887. An obituary lists her maiden name as Shane but that does not sound German or Polish to me. I would like to know where I can find a record of their marriage. The actual file may be at the Family Research Center in Utah and not online but I have no way to get to Utah!
Thank you,
Linda Raymond
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2783

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:27 pm      Post subject: Re: Szembruk marriage

Lmraymond wrote:
Hello, I have recently located the names of a pair of g-g-grandparents. They come from what I believe to be Szembruk [ˈʂɛmbruk] (German: Groß Schönbrück) a village in the administrative district of Gmina Rogóźno, within Grudziądz County, Kuyavian- Pomeranian Voivodeship, in north-central Poland Germany. Their names are Bernard and Eva Svantkowski (as spelled on ship manifest) They were both born in 1863. Arrived in the US in 1887. An obituary lists her maiden name as Shane but that does not sound German or Polish to me. I would like to know where I can find a record of their marriage. The actual file may be at the Family Research Center in Utah and not online but I have no way to get to Utah!
Thank you,
Linda Raymond

Hi Linda,

The records are online at Family Search. I believe the attached (Record #7 on the page) is their marriage. His surname is Swiąkowski and her maiden name looks like Sohen.

Hope this helps.

Wishing you success,

Dave

record-image_3Q9M-CS8M-3CZG.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.34 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

record-image_3Q9M-CS8M-3CZG.jpg

Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:23 am      Post subject: Re: Szembruk marriage

dnowicki wrote:
Lmraymond wrote:
Thank you,
Linda Raymond

Hi Linda,

The records are online at Family Search. I believe the attached (Record #7 on the page) is their marriage. His surname is Swiąkowski and her maiden name looks like Sohen.

Hope this helps.

Wishing you success,

Dave

I'm reading Bernhard Swiatkowski and Eva Schön [German ö = oe], was probably Americanized to "Shane" [that's how Americans pronounce Schön].
Lmraymond

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:26 pm      Post subject:

I have a follow up to this information you so kindly found for me. This marriage is in 1884 but immigration records show Eva had a daughter in 1882. My thinking is that perhaps this is a second marriage. Can you tell me what collection exactly this marriage was found at Family Tree so that I can look if there was a previous marriage for Eva circa 1881? Thank you
Send e-mail
Mrudnik

Replies: 61

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:29 am      Post subject: Szembruk

Lmraymond wrote:
I have a follow up to this information you so kindly found for me. This marriage is in 1884 but immigration records show Eva had a daughter in 1882. My thinking is that perhaps this is a second marriage. Can you tell me what collection exactly this marriage was found at Family Tree so that I can look if there was a previous marriage for Eva circa 1881? Thank you

Hi Linda,

There are two sets of records for Szembruk on Family Search. One is open to all and the other requires you to go to a family search center at an LDS church (any one, not just Utah). The one that is open covers Births 1795-1882, Marriages 1826-1917. and Deaths 1826-1880. (Film 72738 and DGS 7949192. If you go under search -> Catalog and type in Szembruk these will come up for you.) The open one should cover what you are looking for.

I have relative from Szembruk myself and the records were very helpful.

Good Luck in Your search.

Mike
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:24 am      Post subject:

Lmraymond wrote:

Hi Linda,

The record I posted earlier was found on Film 72738.

The difference between the film which is accessible online and the restricted access film is most certainly due to the difference in the contracts between the LDS church and the repository which holds the records. The difference between the locations holding the records is clarified at the top of the catalog search page on Family Search. The films were made at an archive in Berlin-Dahlen and at the parish archive in Szembruk. The records held in Berlin-Dahlen are certainly civil transcripts held in a state archive and it seems the contract between the archive and the LDS church imposes the restriction for viewing that film. The film without viewing restrictions was undoubtedly made at the parish archive and is the film you want. The only records found in the restricted film which are not found in the other film are births from 1883 to 1890.

Hope this answers your question.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:10 pm      Post subject:

[quote="dnowicki"]
Lmraymond wrote:

Hi Linda,

There is a difficulty with using the film without restrictions to look for another marriage c. 1881. There is a Latin notation after the first entry for 1880 which states that there are no entries for marriages in the register from October 9, 1880 through July 28, 1882. The handwriting for entries from 1879 and earlier years is radically different from the handwriting after July of 1882. It appears that the pastors changed. Just a guess...perhaps the earlier priest was old and ill and died and just didn't have the physical capability to enter any marriages into the register in his late years. It is anyone's guess as to whether or not the restricted film would contain entries for your period of interest.

The column headings and some of the data for 1884 are in Latin. However, much of the data was entered in German. The groom was recorded as a bachelor (jüngling). Entries for some of the brides on the page are "maiden" (jungfrau), but not for Eva. I would suggest that you post a request for Michael to translate the data after Eva's name. Perhaps you may find a clue as to whether or not Eva had been married previously.

Wishing you success,

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: