PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:40 pm      Post subject: Polish Nursery rhymes

I already found "aaa Kotki dwa..." which I remember my grandmother singing to me, but there is another one. I could speak Polish as pre-school child then I lost most of it. A fragment I remember very loosely translates "Old woman from far away, with a little child (or person) It starts out "Stary Baba.... I remember that much in Polish but can't write it.
Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:57 am      Post subject:

Hi Marianna,
It might be useful for you to search using the term "kolysanka dla dzieci" or "piosenki dla dzieci" because that will lead you to many lullabies and songs for children. You may remember even more of them than you realize!
While I cannot help with your specific song, there is another really fun one that begins with similar sounds.... "Siala baba mak."
Good luck!
Sophia
Marianna

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:39 am      Post subject:

Thanks, I will look at those sites. I could even read what you wrote, "songs for children" and I think "rhymes for children". If I can sound out things written in Polish, sometimes I know the words. Trying again with nursery rhyme, Stary Babas daleko/ Something Mawevo chwoveciu. How is the l with a slash through it pronounced in Polish? I found a UTube with names of farm animals in Polish, I knew all but the sheep because my grandparents did not have sheep on their little farm in NJ USA.
Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:10 pm      Post subject:

Hi again Marianna,

If I take the words as you are sounding them out, and try to put them into Polish spelling, I would suggest that they may be like this:

"stara baba z daleko" = "old woman from far away"

"małewo chłopieku" depending on the grammatical case, could be a form of "mały chłopiec" which means "small boy"

But I should let someone who actually speaks the language step in here.... please!

Best,
Sophia

P.S. The L with the slash through it sounds like "w"
Marianna

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:12 pm      Post subject: Thanks Sophia

That is exactly it! I can even read it now that I see it in Polish. I think there was some kind of tickling game that went with it. My grandmother also used to tell me stories about "The Lady From the Old Country" whom I had as an imaginary friend at about age 3 or 4.
Thanks for the "w" sound too. Our "W" sounds like "V" in Polish, I know that much.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: