PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Witamy Górale!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

If you have Górale roots please answer our poll to see how many are here.
yes
98%
 98%  [ 50 ]
no
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 51

Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:04 am      Post subject:

Dianne, looking at your photo of the book got my curiosity up. I recognized the soldiers hats immediately,  as the 4 cornered hats on the 2 soldiers were issued right after WWI to regular Polish solders. The word "Hallercyzcy" also caught my eye. Haller's Army was famous as General Jozef Haller consisted of about 20,000 Polish volunteer soldier's from America. (http://www.hallersarmy.com/)

The inscription below the soldiers was confusing, as it started identification in the middle of the picture. I doubled checked with one of my Polish speaking friends who transcribes books. (see photo, double click it) (right click to save pic to your HD)

Bill

diannes pic.jpg
 Description:
Wojtek Halczyn from Lendak, Slovakia
 Filesize:  436.27 KB
 Viewed:  14072 Time(s)

diannes pic.jpg

Send e-mail
dlhalcin

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:23 pm      Post subject:

Thanks for confirming who is who on the picture. Family lore had Wojtek (a tax collector) somehow involved with the Treaty of Versailles - and now that may not be so far-fetched. He made it to Paris according to the picture title and the Teary of Versailles does cover the change in boundaries.
Thanks for the info on Haller's army. I never heard of it before - but that is one of the fascinating things about doing this research - learning more. I pass on the interesting info to my parents who are fascinated but like to have someone else do the computer work. I think they will both be interested in Haller's Army.
Dianne
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:25 pm      Post subject:

Dianne, I believe he was probably a Sołtys. A sołtys functions roughly like the mayor of a small village. (my GGGF was one in Grón in 1630) Sołtys would be equivalent to a mayor of a small village, parish or even small county here in the States. Since in a small village a mayor is responsible for numerous things, all the terms "sheriff", "bailiff", "tax collector, "village headman" could be correct. You probably would also be able to call him an elder. He probably went to Paris with testimony on how the village is run, lifestyle, language and which village should stay Slovak. He might have fought for the 31 villages that were annexed anyway. I'll bet all the answers are in your book. My Polish friend said they use to teach in school what happened to Spis (40 yrs. ago). So now your assignment is you have to find out and let us all know all the details. Isn't history fun.

Glad to help with the picture-now I know exactly and learned something too.
Bill

PS-If that book can be scanned my Slovak researcher friend might be interested in a copy. Or we can wait for your full length report-hahah.
Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:27 pm      Post subject:

Lots of info on Haller's Army- Google it. There is a database of all the soldiers on the PGSA site in Chicago.
Send e-mail
kandrolj

Replies: 20

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:53 pm      Post subject:

Hi Bill,
My grandmother is from this area - Anna Rose PAWLAK, born 26 Jul 1892 Bukovina-Podszkle, Trsztena, Arva, Austro-Hungary (currently Podszkle, Malapolska, Poland) died 27 Dec 1946 Bridgeport, CT, immigrated 24 Nov 1903 to aunt in Bridgeport. I visited Podszkle twice and found relatives & more surnames of interest - KROL, LAS, BJELAK, CZICZONY. FYI, for individuals researching this village, Sw. Rosalia Church records Vol I-Vol III covering 1806-current were never microfilmed. The only records are at the church itself. There are civil records from about 1890s at Czarny Dunajec.

Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:42 pm      Post subject:

Kandrolj,

I see your town is just n-w of Nowy Targ. I am related to Łas also, mine were from Groń- Lesnica area and I have church records (marriage) with many more of them in Bialka Tatrazanska area. Thanks for the other info also. Bill
Send e-mail
myonick

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:24 am      Post subject:

My grandmother's family came from Gronkow. Her parents were Wojciech Las and Regina Zarebczan. My grandmother was Bronislawa. I know of two sisters and one brother: Katharina, Carolina and Stanislaw. Looking for information on the family in Gronkow and on the village. Thanks
Mary
Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:41 pm      Post subject:

Myonick, Mary- This is good news, Gronkow is next to Gron where my family is from. The church in Groń was built after WWII - St. Jacks parish. The church in Bialka Tatrazanska is the old church for this area I discovered. This parish once also included the villages of Brzegi, Bukowina Tatrzanska and Gronkow. I have many marriage records from this church. (St Szymon Tadeusz parish) My Katarzyna Łas married Andrzej Rusin- could be your GM's-sister? I also have Zarębczan in my family lines but it's a current connection. I am friends with Dawid Zarębczan who's family left Grońkow about 13 yrs ago and now live in Chicago. He is only 17 but informative-he's my Facebook friend and possibly related to my Gasienica family. Please gather your dates and info and get back with me, here or by personal email. Dzienki Bill
Send e-mail
myonick

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:25 pm      Post subject:

Hi Bill
Thanks for the response. I hope you can help me. Here is my Grandmother's Family information.

My Grandmother, Bronislawa Las, family:

Father: Wojciech Las no birth date
His parents: Jan Las and Marianna Gocz

Mother: Regina Zarebczan no birth date
Her parents Jakub Zarebczan and Katarzyna Gronska
I have no marriage date, but married in Gronkow

Children:
Katarzyna born abt 1888 in Gronkow
Bronislawa born 21 April 1895 in Gronkow
Stanislaw born abt 1900 in Grinkow
Karolina born abt 1902 in Gronkow

Kararzyna Las married surname Krulis in New Jersey
Bronislawa Las married Jozef Dziedzic in New Jersey
Stanislaw Las immigrated to Canada
Karolina Las immigrated to Canada

Thank you
Mary
Send e-mail
baranski

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:25 pm      Post subject:

Bill
My grandfather, Alexander Baranski, is from Sieklowka which is about 6 miles north east of Jaslo. I don't know if you consider that too far north to be Gorale or not. I have been searching in vain for relatives, Baranski, Filip, Stomski, but no success. I have only seen Sieklowka from Google Earth. There is a rumor in the family that my grandfather had a brother who came to America with an aunt and settled in Chicago.

Ed
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:06 pm      Post subject:

Sieklowka is just a little to far NW. All I can tell you I have seen the name BARAN in the passenger records going to Chicago.
Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:10 pm      Post subject:

Gronkow Church.jpg
 Description:
Gronkow Church
 Filesize:  44.5 KB
 Viewed:  14073 Time(s)

Gronkow Church.jpg

Send e-mail
myonick

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:58 am      Post subject:

Bill
Thanks for the picture of the Church in Gronkow. Love the stone work and architecture, very impressive.

Mary
Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:30 am      Post subject:

Mary-My message will not post! The church pic did but no text. After 6 tries it finally went through. Yay! But I sent this to you pvt email also.

Last edited by Bill Rushin on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:42 am      Post subject:

Mary, I sorry this took so long to answer you. I looked at my records from Bialka Tatrazanska came up with nothing. There is several Łas in the books but not yours. So I decided to see if my friend from Grońkow could help. But I could not catch him online as he is in school and works afterward. But I finally caught him tonight! I asked if there was a church in your village and there is. "Prezentacja Kościolo Pod Wezwaniem Niepokalanego Serca Najświętszej Marii Panny Grońkowie" which translates to The Church of the Immaculate Heart of the Virgin Mary in Grońkow, this is probably where you need to check for records. My friend Dawid Zarębczan said there is several of his relatives still living in Grońkow.

Dawid gave me two links to the church: One is a video the interior and the other is the church website. I noticed not all the links inside the web page seem to work. I used Google Translate to read about the church. Let me know if you can't view them. Bill PS- Beautiful stained glass windows! (called " witraże "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmuN6pZbBYA
http://www.gronkow-kosciol.za.pl/
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish Gorals - Highlanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Page 2 of 4

Jump to: